Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • ill cat update for those interested
  • stumpy01

I was quite surprised with the great response to my previous thread about my broken-down cat and was very grateful for all the suggestions & well wishes.

There wasn't a single suggestion of a pillow case & couple of bricks etc. and I did expect a few of those! People at work weren't half as sympathetic!

Anyway – the fantastic vets at the Queen's Veterinary Hospital in Cambridge have sorted her out a treat. (Quite why the Queen goes to a vets rather than a doctors is anyone's guess!!)
    They reckon that the initial lung infection has completely cleared up, although they have no way of knowing for 100% what caused it and they've treated her lack of appetite as well (it was caused by numerous problems bought on by not eating while ill).
    I picked her up last night and she is pretty much settled in at home now & has eaten a fair bit of food, so just need to fatten her up! The vet has given us some of that A/D (?) cat food that someone on the other thread mentioned to get her started…..

She looks a right mess, with a graze on her head from where she picked off the adhesive holding her feeding tube in place. She also has a shaved bit on her head, a shaved bit in her neck, a massive shaved section on her side from the ultrasound, bandages on two legs that we need to take off this evening and various bits of matted (food encrusted) fur!!
    Although it kind of suits her.

Here's a few pics for your amusement. Apologies for the rubbish quality, but they were taken on my phone without the flash as I didn't really want to startle her:

highclimber
    Free Member

All that sounded expensive?

eckinspain
    Free Member

Yay. Go cat!

luked2
    Free Member

Got my dog from there. World's laziest greyhound!

william
    Free Member

Aaw, I was hoping it would be the cat who got bionic legs.

Rob_S
    Free Member
    Macavity
    Free Member

There is a book
    Is That Cat Dead?: And Other Questions About Poison Plants

stumpy01

All that sounded expensive?

Erm – yep, but we've got £4k worth of PetPlan Insurance to claim off. I've paid the first vet we went to myself and need to get the claim form sent off.
    The place in Cambridge are going straight to the insurance company. Just hope it pays out!!

eckinspain – 😀

She doesn't have bionic legs (unfortunately) although she's moving around about 50x faster than she was last week when we had her home!

Karinofnine

Wicked. Brilliant news. I'm really pleased for you.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yay. Go cat from me too. Animals are resilient little feckers. Delighted to hear yours is on the mend.

bob_summers

great news, really glad she's back in action. didn't want to mention at the time, but the same day my cat (also not eating) went to the vets and didn't come out again. had her for 15 years, still upset about it.

tinker-belle
    Free Member

Yay – good news, hope she recovers fast.

Sorry to hear your story bob

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

@bob 🙁

Sorry about that dude.

stumpy01

Oh no…….bob_summers, sorry to hear that.

Bu66er……..

cranberry
    Free Member

Stumpy01 – she's not looking best pleased, but it's good news to hear that she is on the mend.

Bob – sorry to hear that, our family went through the same thing last year 🙁 Wait a little while and give a great home to another cat.

sweepy
    Free Member

sorry Bob

stumpy, glad to hear your girl is doing well, I must confess im not too keen on major medical treatment for animals in general, and when I read your original post I thought it might be kinder to end her suffering. wasnt the time to say that tho, especially with some crass joke. really glad it worked for you, recently lost my dog so your post resonated with me.

stumpy01

thanks sweepy.

Yeah, we questioned many times whether we were doing the right thing, but she initially responded well to treatment and the lung infection cleared up very quickly.
    If she'd have kept eating, she would have been over it very quickly, but she wouldn't eat anything which then caused issues like low potassium which upset her muscle function (making her lethargic) and affected her appetite…….it turned into a bit of a vicious circle.

The vets were confident that she would recover and wasn't in too much discomfort & so I trusted their judgement.
    Had she been older or less healthy before the infection we might have decided differently.

Glad to have her back, it has to be said!

Karinofnine

Bob and Sweepy

Sorry to both. I've lost animals, it hurts.

JulianA
    Free Member

Glad she's making a recovery! Go cat!

We lost one of ours two weeks ago today (at just over 17 years old!) and I know how much it hurts so good luck OP and OP's cat and commiserations to those who have lost a friend

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘ill cat update for those interested’ is closed to new replies.