• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by ajf.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Ilkley Moor
  • ajf
    Free Member

So whats the deal with Ilkley Moor? Technically no bridelway so no access but mountain bikes seem to have some strained relations that are keeping them there?

So where is okay to go riding and where is no go areas? I have heard that we should stay away from environmentally sensitive areas but I have to admit that doesn't narrow it down much for me.

oh and just trails and xc not going to start making jumps or downhill runs

gordy2
    Free Member

Have a word with the lads at JD Cycles in Ilkley.

They should be able to answer most of your questions.

Basically though 1/2 of the moor is owned by Bradford MBC who's countryside managers have an open access policy.

However there are sensitive areas its best to avoid due to the large number of walkers.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I would suggest going for walks up there first and sussing out the good ground, lines and which directions to best tackle stuff, especially if you don't know the area. The best place to start from would be the main car park at the cow and calf rocks/quarry. That whole hillside is Bradford council access land and there are some superb techy lines and many more lines which don't work on a bike. The best ground is generally on that hillside, if you go onto the moor top then you have to be more careful to pick and choose your routes, because many of them are delicate and boggy. As a rule of thumb on the moor top, the ridge lines tend to be the more solid and therefore best riding. Don't ride on the moor after rain, let it dry out for a few days/week, don't ride it thru the winter. You're not really supposed to be there, but the owner, Bradford Council, tolerate biking on their land, so be very considerate to walkers etc, slow down for them. Best to ride it when there are not going to be too many people wandering around, i.e. not on a warm sunny sunday afternoon, maybe better on a monday evening.

So roughly, a good route would be, start from the cow and calf car park, ride down on a path (parrallel(ish) to the road) to the pond, work your way across to Keighley road (traverse/trend generally upwards rather than down), then climb up keighley road to the twin masts, turn left and ride across the ridge line to the stone circle (get on the ridgeline rather than the flat boggy ground), down the path to ridgeline overlooking Ilkley, down the fantastic descent, turn left and ride thru rocky valley, down and pass to the right side of the tearooms(white building), traverse down back to car park on a good track.

ajf
    Free Member

cool cheers for that! I know Ilkley Moor very well as I go running up there. Seen loads of bikers and bike tracks but just wasn't sure where I shouldn't be.

So it is acceptable to be right round the moor as long as I avoid boggy bits and bits where I may damage paths?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

So it is acceptable to be right round the moor

Not sure what you mean by that, it's not quite the Queens english!, it's not strictly acceptable to be biking on the moor, but Bradford council tolerate it on their bit. There is a massive amount that is privately owned and they definitely don't tolerate it, but you can always risk it 😉 . the bradford council bit is marked on OS maps and/or markers are on the moor and/or you could probably find maps on the internet. search out "ilkley moor management plan" or words to that effect, maps will be there abouts somewhere.

In really dry periods we sometimes ride over from Bingley dick Hudsons on the main naughty naughty trail, then we head over in the Burly/otley direction on more naughty naughty bits, but mostly we stick to the Ilkley side.

Kahurangi

then ducks shall come and eat up worms

sorry

ajf
    Free Member

So it is acceptable to be right round the moor

Not sure what you mean by that, it's not quite the Queens english!,

In queens english

So is it acceptable for one to ride round the whole of the common land known as Ilkley Moor on ones pedal powered machine?

or in yorkshire english

can i go riht rund thay muor ont bike.

Hope that helps.

Oh and cheers for the info, just been reading the Ilkley Moor Management plan. Seems like we are tolerated but not liked.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Ilkley Moor’ is closed to new replies.