Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Ilkley Go-Cross
  • theteaboy
    Free Member

Anyone else playing out at this?
    http://www.ilkleycyclingclub.org.uk/uploads/Ilkley%20Cyclocross3%20FINAL.pdf

It’ll be my first cross race. I’ll be there on a wildly inappropriate mtb and will no doubt be flailing around somewhere near the back.

Any tips so I don’t embarrass myself? Any Flemish words I need to know before going to the beer tent?

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

yep, i’m in and a few mates too. i’ll chat to you out the back as it’s my first too 😀

martinhutch

I like the idea of a ‘mobile bar’ serving Belgian Beer. Will it be like getting a bottle of water out of a team car?

theteaboy
    Free Member

Ah, I’d missed that the beer is mobile. Would it be bad form to hire domestiques to keep a supply coming? I’ll need something to dull the pain.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Someone mentioned that the course will be on Ilkley Moor, so you might be better off with a mountain bike.

Clover

Arrive early and do a couple of laps… apart from that, don’t worry, you can make a complete tit of yourself and throw yourself over the bars every lap but you’ll be so covered in mud by the end that noone will recognise you. That’s my strategy divulged to the world.
    😀

Sancho
    Free Member

It’s not on Ilkley Moor, it’s on Nell Bank which is next to the Lido.

theteaboy
    Free Member

Like the strategy Clover. Should suit me as my riding skills are terrible – going over the bars is a requirement of every ride anyway.

I’m going to keep telling myself that if I’m not in agony, I’m not going fast enough.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

It’s not on Ilkley Moor, it’s on Nell Bank which is next to the Lido.

Ah, I’d heard from someone (can’t recall who) that Brad Council were allowing MTB races on the Moor this year, just assumed this was one of them. 😳

Sancho
    Free Member

No Bradford council as far as I know are not allowing mountain bike races, however there is a race run by Wharfedale where you can use your mountain bike.
    There was a mates downhill race a couple of months ago too, but very unofficial.

Im currently working with Bfd Council and Land owners to open up access on the moor, so should have something soon.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Did anyone race then?

I went along to spectate as I am still recovering from Pneumonia.

Was the course typical of cross races? I thought the course would be a lot longer than it was, is that usual for a cross race? I was also surprised how smooth the surface was apart from the field/wooded section which appeared to be rougher than some mtb races I’ve done.

Are all cross races open to mtb’s, or is it only a limited few?

Ta

Sancho
    Free Member

I think the Yorkshire summer Cross is open to MTB’s, but I think the winter series is under BC Regs so Cross bikes only.

theteaboy
    Free Member

That was great fun but my bike needs an epic clean!

My first time but, talking to some experts, apparently most courses have laps up to twice as long as ilkley. The terrain was apparently very typical.

Mtbs were allowed in this as it was a British Cycling ‘Go-Cross’, not a usual league race.

I had a couple of minor offs and was down to 2 working gears at the end but at least I had no major mechanicals, unlike loads of the field!

JonM
    Free Member

Yes I “raced” on my trusty steel hardtail. A great event and really well run. A bit tricky mixing MTB with Cross bikes though. On my MTB with Mud tyres I found myself wanting to overtake on the technical sections and able to hop over the obstructions, but then being absolutely destroyed by Cross bikes on the tarmac. First time so I don’t know if it was typical. Good fun though.

JonM
    Free Member

“That was great fun but my bike needs an epic clean!”

LOL my bike is still encased in a frozen block of mud!

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

Smooth?! 😯 i snapped my forks on that left hander after the frozen section through the tree’s at the bottom of the course, bell lap too!

good day though, will be back. 🙂

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Sancho – Member

I think the Yorkshire summer Cross is open to MTB’s, but I think the winter series is under BC Regs so Cross bikes only.

I did the Yorks Winter Series on a mountainbike, not very successfully though. The no mtb rule is only for Cat A races such as the National Champs, National Trophy Series and 3 Peaks. Some courses such as Tod and one of the early ones are quite mtb freindly but most are too fast and non technical. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.

theteaboy
    Free Member

“i snapped my forks… “

I saw your bike perched on its remaining leg near the finish – looked spectacular!

Results: http://www.yorkshirecyclocross.org.uk/2011/2011%20Winter%20series/Race%20results/Ilkley%20CC.htm

Only 31 in total in the Seniors, or is that 31 finishers? Felt like lots more than that.

talltom
    Free Member

I’d say 31 bust rear mechs / hagers!!!

Ian (winner) got through three bikes – finished on his girlfriends mtb and still won

epic

drinkmoreport – unlucky with the forks, saw that

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Ilkley Go-Cross’ is closed to new replies.