Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • If you were me?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Just about to hit 52 and not getting any faster in races. In cross I’m finishing late third or early three quarters of the way down the field.
    I have better days when luck is on my side, but I can’t find the extra 10/20 seconds per lap to move up a notch.
    I train quite hard, but after three seasons of trying to improve I end up in the same old place.
    Is it likely to be simply down to my age now?

I can’t really afford more time to improve, weekend club rides and structured turbo interval sessions are all I can manage. Over the summer I can fit in more road sessions.

So do we just reach a plateau at some point? I’m not total rubbish. I was 16th overall in the leagues vets, but dropped to 23rd after missing consecutive races due to illness, and I came 19th overall in the LVRC/vets national championships last year.

I shall do my best this year, but it is hard work and mildy disapointing.

portlyone

Cheat

Bregante

😉

GW
    Free Member

remove your brakes

wwaswas

I guess you have to ask yourself why you race?

To win or to participate?

if it’s the former then stop now, if it’s the latter then surely you’re just racing the guy in front at any given moment and your overall position is largely irrelevant?

thomthumb
    Free Member

but I can’t find the extra 10/20 seconds per lap to move up a notch.

why?

this sounds a little vague – can you be more specific?

DezB
    Free Member

When I moved into Vets (MTB) I noticed how much faster the over 40s were than the masters – I started coming bottom 10 instead of mid-pack. So I switched to Open category, which was a little better. Then I realised I was no longer enjoying racing, so I quit! Riding for fun, is much more, er, fun 🙂

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Tabata.

Train smarter not more.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

If fitness and power arent going to improve start working on skill instead.

LoCo
    Free Member

Different training programme? The Loco Racing team have used programmes from http://www.chriseatough.com/?page=plans to very good effect this season.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Just about to hit 52

That’s ya problem.

beckykirk43
    Free Member

If you’re racing to actually race rather than just have fun, then maybe you need to rethink your training?

Look at areas where you are weak, and target your training to focus on those points and hopefully you should see improvement.

That said, yes, everyone will plateau somewhere, some people just won’t be as fast as others, no matter how hard they train! (although I imagine most people lose interest or don’t train effectively enough to ever reach that plateau!)

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Didn’t realise that Chris Eatough was English.

epicyclo

oldgit – Member
    ….I train quite hard, but after three seasons of trying to improve I end up in the same old place.
    Is it likely to be simply down to my age now?…

Yup. Each year from now on, you have to work hard to be slightly crappier than you were last year.

And when you hit 60, you’ll look back in amazement at how strong you were at 52.

The answer, enjoy each year as it comes.

signed
    an even older git.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Looks as though I am you, I’ve just turned 52 and am reviewing what I want from biking. I have always favoured longer endurance events like Trailquest, sportives etc and this seems to suit my ability to dig in and keep going. Maybe you should try a few events where other skills than brute force can improve your results. TQ with map reading, course selection and experience are definite plusses and could be an option. I’ve been riding a few CX races this year, mainly to go with my wife who really enjoys them, they are really too intese for me and I’m just getting going as the bell goes. I suppose anything that gets you out and exercising is better than 95% of the population but it is nice to have a competitive edge for some.

ton

AUDAX……………. 😉

fasthaggis

I guess you have to ask yourself why you race?

It’s this ^

At your (and my)time of life it’s all about age related victory if you are doing competition anyway.
    So there will be less in your cat.
    If racing other oldies is not good enough for you and you are not enjoying it ,then why bother.
    No point kidding yourself that you are going to give the youngsters a hard time ( apart from the ones that aren’t trying).
    I am doing no comp next year ,cause I have got to the point where I can’t be bothered doing the volume of training to get to a level where I can finish in a decent position.
    Hundreds of miles just to give some other oldies a run for their money ,no thanks.
    Do it for the fun.
    Do it because you want to.

🙂

andrewh
    Free Member

At that age all the mediocre guys have packed it in, there’s only the fast ones left!

I was 16th overall in the leagues vets

so it can’t just be age as there are faster old men 😉

nonk
    Free Member

time for a complete change of approach mebees oldgit, most oldgits i know that race tend to be a bit set in their ways when it comes to training. might not be you mind but just a thought.
    dont give up dude folks like you give me hope. 🙂

hammerite
    Free Member

Have you ever paid for the services of a coach? Something I’m considering doing, mainly to aid me in road races, but should help with performance improvements across the board.

hammerite
    Free Member

Actually, just looked through the BC results for our cross races, and you don’t show up in the v50 category results. Worth making sure you do, I think you’d find you take most of the v50 points still.

kayak23

Surely when you race you are in the same age cat anyway? So it can’t be down to age then….maybe. 🙂

sugdenr
    Free Member

Haven’t the TdF guys had this sorted for years?

Just take drugs. Sorted.

oldgit
    Free Member

hammerite, there isn’t a seperate V50 in our league is there?

Kayak23 no. Pros, elites 1,2,3 & 4th cats and us vets no matter what age over 40 all race together.

binners

Just jack the lot in. Flog your bikes, start drinking heavily, take up smoking, eating take-away’s and sitting watching telly, scratching your arse and farting.

By the sounds of it, these are aspects of your life you’ve been neglecting 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

By the sounds of it, these are aspects of your life you’ve been neglecting

My results suggest otherwise?

Jase
    Free Member

I begining to think the Vets cat is tougher than the senior.

At Thetford last week, had I not punctured I worked out I’d have finished in the top half of the seniors. That exact same time in the vets would have put me last!!!!!

Thinking about it, each year there will be some people just turned 40 moving up to your cat so I’m not surprised you’re finding it tougher each year.

Jase
    Free Member

hammerite, there isn’t a seperate V50 in our league is there?

Yes on BC site they seperate it out.

cheese@4p

Just think about the Grim Reaper closing in behind you, that should speed you up a bit

hammerite
    Free Member

Yep as Jase says – For example….

But our league standings are worked out differently. I think you might need a BC race licence to be listed in this category and have points though.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Just wheelie around at the back. You may not win, but you’ll look the coolest. And that, after all is said and done, is what counts.

oldgit
    Free Member

I’m not BC, I’m LVRC that’s probably why.

I was busy forming the club this year, so I’ll wait and see how a full season of road racing effects my cross. I didn’t race XC either this year.

Wheelies…are you sure at my age.

hammerite
    Free Member

Don’t act your age and pull skids at each corner. Skids for kids.

kudos100
    Free Member

EPO.

avdave2

I’ve always liked Steve Davis’s attitude that as long as his age was higher than his world ranking he’d carry on playing.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Take up ale supping. 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

BTW hammerite how’s the course for next week shaping up, is it like anything else?

Oh and I’ll be a racing Grandad at the start of 2012

walleater

I can’t help but think of the immortal Mick Ives. When I used to race (late 80’s / early 90’s) he’d win every Vet race but be absolutely **** shi’ite on a bike. Any descent with more than a 3% incline and he’d get off and walk. His supreme fitness just carried him through. So maybe take a skills course? Probably the easiest way to gain time unless you are Steve Peat.

oldgit
    Free Member

Mick still races, I often come up against him. My skills are pretty good, it’s where I make up places.

Next year I’ll have a bike that fits. I’m on a 52 and was recently measured up as a 55/56. I checked my older race bikes from the days of made to measure only and that’s what I was riding. It’ll be nice if that makes a difference. S M and L simply isn’t for everyone.

emanuel
    Free Member

oldgit,get friel’s book,quite a bit of advice on masters racing as well.
    the cyclist’s training bible.joe friel.velopress.

you need to get out 3x a week,to improve your condition.
    and don’t eat parmesan cheese.eat plenty of raisins.over 50 that is.
    and some mavic reflexes with dugasts.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘If you were me?’ is closed to new replies.