Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • If I start teaching, am I a “has-been”?
  • chopperT
    Free Member

I’ve been offered a job as a tutor at an automotive college. The hours are great, work is easy, money is OK. But would that mark the end of your “career”? (Of course to have a career you have to be working, which I’m not.)
    When I went to tech the tutors were generally not the sharpest “professionals”, except for old George, but he was proper old (75), and had retired to the polytech.

Opinions please.

duntmatter
    Free Member

The hours are great, work is easy, money is OK.

..to have a career you have to be working, which I’m not.

Do it.

BillMC

Teaching is a career.

chopperT
    Free Member

Quite right there, sorry, I didn’t mean to offend those who had chosen a teaching career. Rather, I was questioning the move from practice to teaching.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

To be a has been you have to have been in the first place. have you been or are you just hoping to go?

chopperT
    Free Member

Yeah WCA, I consider myself to have “been”. I built engines driven by Petter Solberg, Chris Atkinson, Colin McRae, and Xavier Pons amongst others, which is kind of cool to to be able to say, and I’m sure some other interesting stuff wil roll along, but to step across to teaching and stop chasing the next objective is a different story.

Nico
    Free Member

“I built engines driven by Petter Solberg, Chris Atkinson, Colin McRae, and Xavier Pons”. I’ve never heard of those people other than the one that invented that computer game, but think of the opportunities to bore your students for the next 30 years with the above quote. Not to be taken lightly.

chopperT
    Free Member

P1ss, I think I’m already a has-been.

SST
    Free Member

Isn’t it suppsed to be “an” has been?

😉

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Have you reached a stage in your career where you can go further, or has it flattened out? Are there lots of exciting challenges ahead, or would it be more of the same?

If there’s still scope for excitement and fresh chapters, then carry on with it. If not, then surely you have loads to pass on to others, and then teaching would be perfect.

I’ve recently got into a bit of teaching, and it’s been fantastic. After years of flitting from one thing to another, and never really settling, I wish I’d got into it sooner. I’ve found it far more rewarding than most of the other stuff I’ve done. And it’s so much fun! Work? It don’t feel like it! something to actually look forward to, as opposed to the tediousness of something that’s always the same thing.

You may be a fantastic mechanic/engineer. You could be a fantastic teacher.

As for being a ‘has-been’, well, that’s a load of bollocks. You’ll be able to look back on things, and think ‘well, I’ve been a teacher’.

And there are few more important jobs in our society, than those who educate others.

Do it.

mboy
    Free Member

Are you a has been if you get into teaching?

I bloody hope not, as my new job role is as a teacher/trainer and I’m only 28!

Can’t wait to start though, and I’m told the opportunities within the role I’m starting are great, as is the potential to grow and gain more qualifications.

I agree to some level that a lot of colleges (and universities trust me!) have teachers/lecturers that only teach cos they couldn’t hack the “real world” but don’t put everyone in the same box!

grizzlygus
    Free Member

When I went to tech the tutors were generally not the sharpest “professionals”

I don’t understand how that affects you – are you suggesting that you too aren’t up for the job ?

TBH your posts suggest a pretty serious lack of enthusiasm and as RudeBoy says, there are few more important jobs in our society, than those who educate others.

Don’t do it.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I seem to remember being told on my teacher training that something like 60% of teachers have left the job by end of their 5th year. They must go somewhere so I suspect (and hope, in my 3rd year) that it is not the end.
    Oh, and I am 36 and on second career.
    Fair money, good hours and unemployed/not working seems to scream do it though.

squattingmouse
    Free Member

I teach and I think teaching is what you make of it – the more you put into the job the more you and your students get out of it.

And is the is my second carreer I really hope at the age of 28 I am not a has been!

zaskar
    Free Member

As a teacher you have to keep up to date and get extra training.

Sounds a good move.

Do a management course on the side so you have options.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Isn’t it suppsed to be “an” has been?

No it isn’t. It’s: “A has been” because the “H” is aspirated/sounded. “An ‘as been”, would be OK if you were impersonating a bumpkin. 😉

Oxboy
    Free Member

I wish I was a teacher, the pays good, pensions good, holidays are awesome. Think of all the spare time you will have for getting out on the trails!

Oxboy
    Free Member

And of course if you do it well you can actually make a positive difference to someones life

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I did it, didn’t like and do something else now.

But now I know it’s not for me, and I’m glad I know. Some people are teachers, and they love it. More vocation than job or career. So, unless you try, you’ll never know, and if you’ve nothing else going on, now’s the time to try.

However, one of the biggest problems with teaching (and something I definately found) is that there are some people who are there following the old maxim “those who can do, those can’t teach”. Basically deadbeats who would struggle to find another job, and in the case of Computing (my thing) had skills that were cpompletely irrelevant and/or out of date. You don’t seem to be in that boat, but you might struggle to deal with those that are

BUT, when things pick up, what do you want to have on our CV – (teaching (“tried it but it’s not for me”) or nothing (but reasonbably expert on Trishia and daytime soaps? Or it may work out and you’ll stay. Like you say, good money and holidays

Go for it.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘If I start teaching, am I a “has-been”?’ is closed to new replies.