Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • If a lollypop man waves you through a red light – are you breaking the law?
  • organic355
    Free Member

happens often on my commute to work at a school crossing.

Lollipop man (or whatever PC term they are called now) presses button, crosses road with sign up and returns to my side of the road, but while the lights are still on red he gives me the nod, waves me through with his lollipop and says “on you go”.

I always go, say cheers and get on with my day, but just wondering if I (or he) is breaking the law, cos I know you lot dont like red light jumpers and would have to report myself to the police if I thought I was breaking any laws 😀

Does he have authority at a zebra crossing, in any legal way, or is it just a courtesy that we obey them??

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Yes, you’re breaking the law. Lollipop man ought to know better cos one day someone’s going to go through red when they shouldn’t 🙁
    I guess he isn’t breaking the law as such, but putting other people’s lives at risk.

Not sure what he legality is about stopping for a lollipop man, but if he’s using the traffic lights, then that is legal.

Drac

Not sure what he legality is about stopping for a lollipop man,

If they tell you to stop with their funny little sign you stop, I don’t think they have any authority to wave you through red lights though.

joao3v16
    Free Member

I can’t imagine anyone except perhaps the Police have any authority to override traffic law in certain circumstances … but seeing as most of STW thinks RLJing is great if it’s convenient for you, and that riding ‘cheeky’ trails that they shouldn’t is a basic human right, then I’m sure any excuse to go through a red light will be applauded

Onzadog
    Free Member

He can’t wave you through a red light. However, I do believe that his sign is legally enforceable

grum
    Free Member

I can’t imagine anyone except perhaps the Police have any authority to override traffic law in certain circumstances … but seeing as most of STW thinks RLJing is great if it’s convenient for you, and that riding ‘cheeky’ trails that they shouldn’t is a basic human right, then I’m sure any excuse to go through a red light will be applauded

Sounds like a sternly worded letter to the Daily Mail might be in order regarding these ‘cyclists’ and their ‘cheeky trails’.

stumpy01

Nope. You shouldn’t be going through the red light on his say so.

Apparently, even if you jump a red light (or other illegal manoeuvre) to make space for an emergency vehicle you can also get done.
    E.g, go over a red light to make way for an ambulance & get flashed by a light jumping camera….the defence of making way for an emergency vehicle apparently won’t get you off the fine. Bit stupid, really.

organic355
    Free Member

Just to be clear I was on a bike, incase anyone thought otherwise?

andytherocketeer

Nearly crashed in to a lollipop lady once. She just walked in to the street without even looking to see if it was safe. I’d anticipated it, slowed down, but once a vehicle is within an emergency stopping distance (including reaction time), it really is committed to passing the crossing. My emergency stop included a swerve between the blind old lady and the kerb.

She threatened to report me to the local cop (aka my neighbour!), but I know for a fact that she didn’t, or wouldn’t, because her job would be at risk. My mistake was not reporting her.

organic355
    Free Member

Nope. You shouldn’t be going through the red light on his say so.
    Apparently, even if you jump a red light (or other illegal manoeuvre) to make space for an emergency vehicle you can also get done.
    E.g, go over a red light to make way for an ambulance & get flashed by a light jumping camera….the defence of making way for an emergency vehicle apparently won’t get you off the fine. Bit stupid, really.

Really? This doesn’t sound right.

Milkie
    Free Member

I saw a lollipop person on a pedestrian crossing with traffic lights!?

When the lights went green the lollipop person would stop the traffic and let the children cross. Lights went red and tried to wave through the traffic, despite children/parents trying to cross on the traffic lights.

Recipe for disaster, and there were a lot of angry motorists with a long queue, in Stockwood Bristle.

Drac

It is right as it’s not safe.

joao3v16
    Free Member

There’s a lollipop man who operates right on a T junction on one of my routes to work.

He stops the traffic for every individual child (high school aged), rather than let them wait so that larger groups can cross at one time.

The traffic in all 3 directions is practically gridlocked for an hour every morning because of this plonker.

Berk. 😀

organic355
    Free Member

Safer for the person in the ambulance though eh?

Drac

Safer for the person in the ambulance though eh?

No, not really not if it causes an accident. I hate to see people doing it when I’m at work, we don’t even have an authority on red lights never mind the public.

ransos
    Free Member

It is right as it’s not safe

What do you suggest motorists blocking your way at a red light should do?

Drac

Move to the side a bit if it’s possible, if not just wait until it’s safe to go through on green.

DezB
    Free Member

While we’re on lollipop (wo)men, the old fella who did my son’s school patrol got killed -Story here
    Although the reports all say it’s a busy road – it is dead straight, the lollipop men dress head to toe in hi-viz and there are signs all along the road, yet he managed to be “in collision with a Nissan Micra”.

Aidy
    Free Member

Nearly crashed in to a lollipop lady once. She just walked in to the street without even looking to see if it was safe.

I nearly crashed into one once too. She’d spent so long standing in front of a landrover batting her eyelids at the driver that I figured that the landrover was just having issues and cycled around it.

fatalbert
    Free Member

I have not even googled this factoid to even see if its true. While on a training course last week we were told that the black stripe on a lollipop below the word stop is there to be able to write in chalk any registrations of any cars who fail to stop at a crossing.

Iam off to check my claim.

stumpy01

Ransos, as Drac says….I was told to move as far as possible within the space I had, but I shouldn’t jump a red light.
    This is one of the reasons I try to leave some space between me & the car in front at lights/roundabouts etc. It gives you a little more room for manoeuvre.

Having said that, if I deem it safe (for me) I will move over stop line etc. & the driver of the emergency vehicle can decide if they wish to proceed.
    I will also stick my foot down to get out of the way;again if I deem it safe to do so (and know that I am not gonna get speed camera’d.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Today kids the words for the day are ‘common’ and ‘sense’. Followed closely by pragmatic.

OP sounds like you need to mention to the lollipop person that you cant go through even if he waves you on. I think most of us would go through if in your shoes.

Is it a fact that you can be fined for crossing a red light slightly to let emergency vehicles through? Really? Anybody driving would hopefully make sure they werent about to cause another accident and move out the way if an ambulance was behind them. That seems a bit much. Thats seriously lacks the words common and sense.

johnellison
    Free Member

Sorry to say but it’s completely correct. Red lights are sacrosanct. No one has the right to go through a red light. And if you are pushing a wheeled carriage (e.g. bicycle, baby buggy, wheelchair) on the pavement then you are also required to stop at a red light.

In fact, if the lights are changing from green to red, you aren’t allowed to go through with them on amber.

The only defence that you can possibly use in either case is that either a) you thought the lights were at green, or b) you did not feel that you could stop safely and/or under control.

However, the counter to the former is that you weren’t paying attention; and the latter that you were travelling too fast for the prevailing road and traffic conditions.

If you are had up in court for going through a red light, it is VERY unlikely that you’ll get away with it, no matter who you are or what the circumstances were.

Of course, like everything else though – it ain’t a crime if you don’t get caught.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

So the light is on red and there is space to safely move over the line to let the trapped ambulance through and you have to let some poor person -probably at deaths door- suffer longer or maybe even die, sometimes seconds can count. Thats just plain dumb.

Drac

So the light is on red and there is space to safely move over the line to let the trapped ambulance through and you have to let some poor person -probably at deaths door- suffer longer or maybe even die, sometimes seconds can count. Thats just plain dumb.

Bit overdramatic that, are you big fan of Casualty?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Drac – ER 😉

Drac

Hahaha!

crazy-legs

However, I do believe that his sign is legally enforceable

The sign IS legally enforceable. Jumping it carries the same penalty (if caught and proved) of jumping red lights. Same with those signs that roadworkers sometimes use, the STOP and GO ones.

A similar variant of those signs (again, legally enforceable) is now starting to be used in some road races:
    http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/campaigning/racing-on-the-road/article/roa20110921-New-Developments-in-Road-Marshaling-0

But no, he doesn’t have the authority to wave you through. On the other hand, he’s probably just thinking he’s being nice and letting you get a few metres on the cars stopped there. I’ve been waved through stop signs by both lollipop people and road workers before.

Say thanks, get on with it. 🙂

zippykona

Only cops and proper traffic wardens can wave you through a red light.
    At least that was the answer on my 82 driving test.

user-removed
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

(What do you suggest motorists blocking your way at a red light should do?)

Move to the side a bit if it’s possible, if not just wait until it’s safe to go through on green.

Interesting, and I was hoping you’d pop up to answer that Drac. I remember reading a report involving hacked off motorists who had crept over the white line to let an ambulance through and were subsequently fined. It did seem incredibly unfair and I have occasionally wondered what I’d do in the same situation.

Good to get it from the horse’s gob!

leffeboy

It’s ok if it’s TJ

nbt

I was told (*not sure when, it was either when I did my IAM course and test or more likely when I was doing my probationary training in the police) that trained response drivers (police, fire, ambulance etc) were supposed to turn off sirens / lights if approaching the back of a queue waiting at a red light, so that the people at the front were not encouraged to cross the line

FuzzyWuzzy

No one has the right to go through a red light. And if you are pushing a wheeled carriage (e.g. bicycle, baby buggy, wheelchair) on the pavement then you are also required to stop at a red light.

Eh, really? Interesting if the red light applies to the pavement alongside the road as well, never knew that.

Drac

NBT we’re supposed to have light and sirens on at all times now, that’s 24/7.

ransos
    Free Member

Thanks. Judging by the traffic in Bristol, you could be waiting a long time!

patriotpro
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

Whilst I do agree I dare say it’s definitely a ‘grey area’ to many motorists.

To the extent it warrants further education on the matter anyway, wouldn’t you say?

Drac

That’s a fair point Patriotpro given some of the moves taken by people.

stumpy01

nbt – that’s what my OH was taught.

Drac – she was also told to limit sirens between certain hours as there were lots of complaints about siren noise. This is in Cambs..

Drac

Yeah different Trusts have different policies.

firestarter
    Free Member

That’s interesting drac I’ve just done my reevaluation day and was told lights always on but sirens only when needed and as little as possible dusk til dawn

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘If a lollypop man waves you through a red light – are you breaking the law?’ is closed to new replies.