Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 138 total)
  • If A Lady Is A Vegan….
  • monksie
    Free Member

…would she breast feed her baby?

This is the conundrum of the day in this council office apparently. Opinion is divided and the debate is getting heated.

camo16
    Free Member

Depends. Is the baby a vegan too?

I’m guessing that (since the Lady isn’t part of the food chain) it would probably be alright.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I thought you were going to raise the question about whether or not she’d get enough Zinc in her diet.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

And why wouldn’t she? – its not cows milk.

being vegan is about not abusing animals – no animal is abused in the production of mothers milk.

5thElefant
    Free Member

So there may be a market for vegan dairy products?

IanMunro
    Free Member

I can’t believe it’s not moo milk.

bigrich

consent is given, therefore yes. and, in my experience make milkshakes and cheese and stuff.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What, if the cow’s vegan?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Or maybe she should MTFU and get some meat pies down her.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I just assumed you were going to ask if it was OK for her to go ‘diving’.

5thElefant
    Free Member

What, if the cow’s vegan?

I like your thinking, but no. If the milk came from a vegan (person, not cow).

miketually
    Free Member

You’d end up rather over run with baby cows.

Some vegans eat honey, but others don’t. There’re no hard/fast rules.

wwaswas

There’re no hard/fast rules.

Not eating dead creatures would seem to be a fairly firm full of veganism?

Junkyard
    Free Member

All the vegans I know have and my vegan kids had it.

You seem very confused on what a vegan is but i will add your question to BS vegan bingo under clutching at straws.

Serious answer as per TJ it is about the exploitation of animals and the cruelty inherent in it being industrialised and artificial insemination to keep the cow lactating + the killing of the calf

I see no parallels between this and mammals feeding their young.

passtherizla
    Free Member

of course it’s fine its breast milk!

AndyP
    Free Member

Depends. Is the baby a vegan too?
    Surely this is the salient point. And is it fair to foist your beliefs on an infant?

Teifiterror
    Free Member
    Junkyard
    Free Member

And is it fair to foist your beliefs on an infant?

What like meat eaters getting their kids to eat meat?
    Yes that is terrible [ as an argument] 🙄

derek_starship
    Free Member

Some vegans don’t eat honey?

FFS don’t tell me that bees are distressed / harmed / exploited during the production and harvesting of honey.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

of course they are Derek FFS man

nonk
    Free Member

people honestly think that you can not raise a child on a plant based diet ! ?

fek. 😯

not a vegan by the way.

AndyP
    Free Member

What like meat eaters getting their kids to eat meat
    Thing is with kids, they tend to eat things that they like, and try their hardest to leave the other stuff. This is a form of *choice*.

brassneck

FFS don’t tell me that bees are distressed / harmed / exploited during the production and harvesting of honey.

of course they are Derek FFS man

I dunno, they seem to quite like being puffed with that smoke as they go all dozy. But then you rip all their hard work out of the hive.

Swings and roundabouts innit? Though not for bees obviously, they’d have to be tiny.

I reckon there is a lot more behind that Guardian article than just veganism/breast milk, just sounds like they hadn’t made any efforts at weaning

avdave2

Quite simply the most stupid question I think I have ever read. 🙂

monksie
    Free Member

“You seem very confused on what a vegan is but i will add your question to BS vegan bingo under clutching at straws.”

Not me Squire. I don’t actually give one and I’m not participating in the office based arguement discussion.

Just chucking it up for observation from the great unwashed STW forum members should they be interested.

nonk
    Free Member

tell you something i noticed with our bairns andy..i never introduced meat to them at a young age but was ready to let em have some if they just ended up wanting it, they never have and at 6 and 3 years they still look at the stuff as if it’s an alien life form.

they like a bit of smoked salmon though. do you think that makes em posh ? 😀

wwaswas

rickets anyone?

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/9332671.Mum_s_vitamin_D_warning/

ill informed diet changes never a good idea.

brassneck

What like meat eaters getting their kids to eat meat
    Thing is with kids, they tend to eat things that they like, and try their hardest to leave the other stuff. This is a form of *choice*.

Mine won’t touch meat or fish. We’ve not indoctrinated any of them, but equally not fed them meat or fish as it’s not part of our diet.

The eldest refused to put his Waitrose charity coin in a senior citizens Xmas meal club as they were eating turkey in the picture 😯

grantway
    Free Member

Being the lady is a Vegan then there would be no traces of dairy product
    within the ladies milk, and she is not a cow so all would be fine

MrsToast
    Free Member

Some vegans don’t eat honey?

Nope, the argument is that it’s cruel to the bees. The vegans I know won’t wear silk or wool either, and generally avoid pharmaceutical goods as well (because of animal testing).

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Hey I know I’ll force my misguided views on my kids!

(actually isn’t this parenting in a nutshell?)

brassneck

I don’t quite get the wool argument, as it’s bad for the sheep to be left with unkempt fleeces.. so why not use the by product? I suppose it’s the whole ethos of farming sheep as they will generally also end up on the table?

wwaswas

We’ve not indoctrinated any of them, but equally not fed them meat or fish as it’s not part of our diet.

it’s tricky, isn’t it. Chirstians would argue they don’t indoctrinate – they just take their kids to Church every week and pray before meals etc.

children will pick up their parents views and will believe that they are correct/right (often with more verve than their parents do – kids see stuff in very black and white ways).

I have no problem with kids not eating meat but to bring them up in a vegan/vegetarian household and not expect them to accept that as the ‘norm’ is a bit niaeve.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Mine won’t touch meat or fish. We’ve not indoctrinated any of them, but equally not fed them meat or fish as it’s not part of our diet.

lol.
    i don’t speed or drive recklessly, but then i don’t own a car.

nonk
    Free Member

children will pick up their parents views and will believe that they are correct/right (often with more verve than their parents do – kids see stuff in very black and white ways).

total cobblers.

MrSparkle

Won’t somebody think of the vegetables??

wwaswas

total cobblers.

you really think that parents outlook on life is not reflected in their young children?

AndyP
    Free Member

Won’t somebody think of the vegetables?? [tries very hard not to post obvious joke]

bob_summers

to bring them up in a vegan/vegetarian household and not expect them to accept that as the ‘norm’ is a bit niaeve.

What’s the problem if they do accept veganism as the norm?

nonk
    Free Member

it is yes but not in the black and white way you suggest.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 138 total)

The topic ‘If A Lady Is A Vegan….’ is closed to new replies.