Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Ideas for camping meals?
  • DrJ

Mrs J is coming camping for the first time this summer. Normally I eat stuff like baked beans, stew from a tin, etc, but I suspect she will not like that. In fact I know she won’t.

Any ideas for tasty camping grub that will suit a picky eater?

Smee
    Free Member

Poached eggs on toast.

druidh
    Free Member

Anything with pasta.

teacake
    Free Member

A classic my partner and I do a lot is tagliatelle with tomatoes, rocket and anchovies.

Just mash it all in together. Tons of carbs, lots of flavour from the anchovies. Of course if your picky eater doesn’t like the little fishes, then you’re stuffed.

Anything with pasta and butter in it generally does the job!

bp
    Free Member

What does she normally eat? I’ve never felt the need to change my diet massively whilst camping. You may have to improvise a bit, but if all else fails, champagne and strawberries for breakfast never fails…

BP

trail_rat
    Free Member

Knorrs powdered soup (carrot and corriander is lovely and quite thick/filling)

lightly fried pita bread , hummous and some lightly fried tinned tuna (i like warm food when camping regardless of time of year)

Powdered custard and spotted dick from a can for pudding

Non stick pans you can do pancakes – not with stainless pans though apparently much to jo and matts and stuartieCs ammusement at stw day out !

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Mobile phone in one hand takeaway menu in the other

stumpy01

Stagg Chilli & boil in the bag rice….

…went to Glentress with three Stagg cynics…..prepared a sumptuous mean while sat in the tent as the rain came down outside…..they were suitably impressed……

Otherwise, ‘fresh’ pasta from Tesco or wherever, with a pour over sauce.

grumm
    Free Member

Risotto.

swisstony
    Free Member

We have the same sort of meals as at home, as mentioned, pasta, risotto and lots of BBQ’s.

DrJ

Hmmm … think I will need a bigger pot if I’m gonna do risotto. And I’m not sure if my Whisperlite goes at any speed less than “boil a brew as quickly as possible”.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Pasta. Normally take the dried packet ones. just add butter milk/ water. Not the greatest but easy and minimal.

And beer as well.

trail_rat
    Free Member

re the whisperlite – there is a technique but it will do less than boil quick as possible …..

basically involves not putting so much pressure in the fuel bottle. Got it spot on when we were cooking on the whisperlite every night#!

BigCol
    Free Member

+1 for stagg chilli!

CaptJon
    Free Member

Dolmio stir in sauces.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Me and MrFC used a Trangia for our camping trips before we had the kids.
    We always eat really well when camping…if not better than when at home! 😉
    Fry some peppers, courgettes, onions or whatever veg, add to pasta and a tin of pasta sauce.
    I never tire of a good bacon sandwich, packet of crisps and a beer/cup of tea.

Chop chicken into small chunks,fry and add to pasta with a tin of condensed soup.

Quick cook rice, tin of chunky chicken, sweetcorn and slurp of wine.
    Don’t forget to take salt and pepper…and some mixed herbs.
    It’s all about being creative and imaginative!
    Disposable BBQ’s are great…and don’t take up much room in the car.
    Baby salad potatoes cook really quickly…add anything you like!

marionheck
    Free Member

one for the morning. crack 4 eggs into a plastic bag, pepper and salt, swing it around above yoru head for a bit (sealing it first)dunk it into boiling water. wait for it to harden a bit then mash it up and hey presto scrambled eggs.

(just don’t let the bag touch the bottom of the pan or it could melt to it!)

marionheck
    Free Member

one for the morning. crack 4 eggs into a plastic bag, pepper and salt, swing it around above yoru head for a bit (sealing it first)dunk it into boiling water. wait for it to harden a bit then mash it up and hey presto scrambled eggs.

(just don’t let the bag touch the bottom of the pan or it could melt to it!)

racing_ralph
    Free Member

why not just scramble em properly?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Ideas for camping meals?’ is closed to new replies.