Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Ibis Mojo, any issues…
  • BMC09
    Free Member

Hi all, i'm looking at buying a mojo SL frame, the frame itself is brand new, never been ridden, still boxed up, but is technically second hand.

My worry is that a i will not be able to claim for warranty on the frame if it incurs any damage.

Also i have heard tell that the Mojo has a few problems with it, lots of people seem to have had replacement rear ends and other niggles.

Can anyone shed any light onto this…

Cheers
    Stru

Coasting
    Free Member

I know aguy thats broken two frames,both replaced under warrantee

Wookster

HI mate I have had a "crack" in the frame appear they took it back ( had to post it to the states mind!) And sent a new one, crack was in paint see stw review for more info on this happening to theirs and the sl may not have this issue. Been excellent to deal with and bike is amazine I have it quite light and its the right side of sporty so not concintrate or die!. Lovely bike I love the look of it.

The MBTR fourm has a huge Ibis section which is worth a look mate.

vinnyeh

I looked at buying a secondhand Mojo a couple months back. Got an unequivocal 'no support from us' from 2pure, for what that's worth. Wouldn't be eligible for any crash/damage replacement, or discount from full price. for any replacement parts. Was enough to put me off the deal long enough for the frame to be sold.

BMC09
    Free Member

that's what is beginning to put me off….
    as far as i know it is only the standard mojo's that i have heard about this happening to. not sure whether the SL will be any different being made out of different carbon….

Wookster

Its a different weave I think plus the paint is a rubberised finish unlike the standard if you you think smartie then you wont go far wrong!! How much is it ie is it still a lot or worth a flyer?

titusrider
    Free Member

Not really much help, my mojo SL has been flawless since buying a year ago. Im a light rider generally but its been ragged rather hard, alps, drops, jumps etc

tbh ive just decided not to worry about the 'carbon thing' and just decided to ride it hard and have fun.

heihei

I bought a Mojo in the US a few years' back, and had 2 rear ends crack. Ibis were superb in getting me replacements ASAP without having to go through Stif. May have changed with the new importer of course, but suspect Ibis CS won't have changed!

showerman
    Free Member

no problems in that department if lopes can do what he does i am happy to buy one, did get mine replaced under warranty just inside the 3yrs becouse the clear coat started to pit from the inside. had to deal with ibis direct and send the frame back but what a bunch of good guys to deal with, replaced without any problems once they had seen it, could not resist upgrading to the SL at the price they offered. you could e-mail them and ask or keep the seller happy so any claim goes through him.
    JUST remember one thing i do not know of one frame manufacturer out there that has not had problems of one degree or another to the point i have had 2 frames fail on welds.

ojom
    Free Member

took our shop one out today. really nice and solid feeling.

you should get it if you want it, go with the heart.

BMC09
    Free Member

i love the look of the SL, its is so sweet.
    It seems to be made out of a different type of carbon to the std. Mojo, so maybe it'll have a different structural qualities,

Maybe i'm being hesitant, but purchsing such an expensive frame, secondhand (althought never ridden) does give me worries re: warranty…

Ed-O
    Free Member

It's a great bike. I've given mine some big stick and it's not broken! The cracks in the paint are reported to have been cured by the use of rubberised paint with the SL.

BMC09
    Free Member

cheers al, am going to go for it.. it has the rubberised paint finish too, so all should be good.. cant wait.

GBR1
    Free Member

I have had mine for a couple of years now, awesome bike. I ride mine pretty hard in Wales etc, had some big stacks and the bike has always come off better!

mrmojo
    Free Member

I've rode my mojo for just over 2 years thrashed it all over Scotland, the Lakes, Wales and 3 weeks in Utah … only thing I've swapped out is the Lopes link which deffo stiffens up the back-end.
    Get one you'll love it !!

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Not wishing to open a Can O' worms here but are there any Mojo owners who ride where there's loads of sharp, pointy rocks?

I really like the idea of the mojo but am totally paranoid about dropping down The Beast or somesuch in the Peaks..

ta

ojom
    Free Member

Ed-o from here seems to be fine.
    I maintain there is nothing you would do to a carbon frame which wouldn't also cause a problem with an alloy.

It really is stronger than you think – oh and repairable too.

ojom
    Free Member
    takisawa2

The only problem with a Mojo is the price.
    I'd buy one.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Interesting stuff.. I guess my main worry is that as tough as carbon is, with an alloy frame a dent is fairly obvious.

Is a similar sized impact as obvious on a carbon frame? How would i know when to get it professionally checked out?!

#sorry for thread hijack btw!

ojom
    Free Member

The only problem with a Mojo is the price.
    I'd buy one.

Pretty 'cheap' compared to the competition.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Must admit to being quite taken by the new Mojo HD.

The only thing that worries me is the dreaded carbon. I'm pretty convinced that I couldn't break one by simply "going too big", but I do crash occasionally, and when I do, its usually a biggie and the bits of my bikes that always end up battered are the seatstays from landing/sliding on/down all the pointy rocks.

Anybody any tales to tell of the indestructability of their Mojo seatstays…?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Exactly the same here Jon – I really like the look of the HD too but am a clumsy rider at best and when I come off it is always usually onto pointy rocks 🙁

BMC09
    Free Member

this is all good, the one i'm going for has the Lopes link, so stiffer already. 8)

don't mind the highjack, its all good, keep it coming… try and stay away from the Mojo HD on this topic plz, as it doesn't fit what i'm trying to establish, different travel bike… But i do have to agree, it looks the dogs dangly's i'd most defo have one if i lived in the alps or somewhere outside the UK with proper sized mountains. 😛

have solved the warranty issue i was having and now cannot wait to take possession of it. will have it built up super quick too. 😆

vinnyeh

How did you solve the warranty issue? – as I said, 2pure weren't interested when I spoke with them

BMC09
    Free Member

not dealing with 2pure… dealing with ibis 😀 its only for a year tho, but if i'm going to damage / break it it'll be within 12 months… 😉

Ed-O
    Free Member

Good news. Enjoy it and ride it like you stole it…even though you paid for it 🙂

showerman
    Free Member

oh and the rubbery paint job is nolonger avilable it is only matte or a paint job 😐 i wanted the nice feel of rubber between my legs

mrmojo
    Free Member

RopeyReignRider I rode mine for 3 weeks in Moab you wont find any bigger rocks than that out there met a few other American mojo riders also who had nothing but great things to say about the mojo.. as Ed says few paint chips but has to be expected when thrashing a bike I dropped ibis an email and had some touch paint sent within a few days the warranty side of ibis is first class. You'll usually find post's from Hans at Ibis on the ibis forum he's usually only too happy to help.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

mrmojo – cheers for info. Interesting stuff! I just need to get a ride on one now!

I love my foes but the frame weighs about 8lbs even with the Ti coil fitted.. tis rather heavy!

…hence mojo appeals. Can you fit 160mm forks on the standard mojo?

smurf
    Free Member

I bought my frame abroad and Ibis were very clear – we'll honour any claims etc irrespective of where you bought it.

I've got a raw carbon regular mojo and covered it in paint protection film from armourfend before it was built up. They should still have the patterns they used. It wasn't cheap (but then the frame was a _lot_ less than the UK price) but it's nearly invisible, excellent stuff and designed for stopping stones chipping car paint, so it's tough stuff.

smurf

Ed-O
    Free Member

Can you fit 160mm forks on the standard mojo?

No problem and it even says it's OK to do so on the Ibis site. I run mine with 160mm Fox 36 Floats, as in the photo above. With a low rise bar it climbs just fine as well.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

cool… I'd be sticking 26 floats on one if I ever do take the plunge.

How balanced does it feel with a fork weighing nearly as much as the frame?!

I take it the SL isn't designed for 160mm forks, or is it?!

Ed-O
    Free Member

Feels balanced to me. The thing I like about light frames is that you can put burly components on without the whole bike weighing a ton. 36s will be fine on a SL, the frame is the same as the Mojo, just the trimmings that are lighter AFAIK.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

ok cool, I think the SL uses a different weave of carbon or something?

Wondering how durable the carbon dropouts are on the SL, for a clumsy oaf like myself!

numplumz
    Free Member

I've blasted an SL around for a year now, mainly racing so its had some hammer and its still Ok.

Having said that, I've broken most frames I've owned eventually, all of them while racing so I'm either due, or the Ibis is sorted.

Bad luck is probably your worst enemy, dropping a rear carbon seatstay sideways on a pointy rock would kill it, but thats not the bikes fault.

BMC09
    Free Member

well then guys… just a quick thanks for all the input,
    I picked up the frame on sunday, its all built up (just waiting on my newly rebuilt wheels to come back (hopefully today), running on spares off the 4x bike atm) i gotta say i love it.. will put a pic or 2 up on weds for you to see it 😉

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Ibis Mojo, any issues…’ is closed to new replies.