Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • ibis mojo
  • crush83
    Free Member

Hi guys,

I have been contemplating building a bike instead of buying a new one.

Found a ibis mojo sl frame online.

Read s few reviews but wondered what you guys make of them?
    Any riders on the forum?
    What’s it like to live with?

Chris

Hadge
    Free Member

Wow surprised you’ve had no replies yet. Well I don’t own one but I’ve ridden one for a while and they’re very good. It surprised me how quiet it was to ride even when being hit by rocks and debris and the suspension system works really well, both climbing and descending. Size wise the medium suited me perfect as I’m not that tall as some mediums such as say a 575 Yeti comes up big. We’ve sold loads where I work, from SL’s to HD’s and now the SLR’s too. You’ll be very happy with it but being honest there’s not a lot to chose between any of the top-end bikes. I went for a Turner 5 Spot as it has the DW Link and I feel happier with an alloy frame than a carbon one but that’s purely my own opinion.

crush83
    Free Member

Ok cool, not riden one yet but there is a demo day at skyline cycles later this month where I will try and get my ass on one.

julians
    Free Member

I havent ridden an SL, but I have an HD, so maybe this is irrelevent, maybe not.

But the HD is a great bike, well built, I’ve had it 9 months and no problems so far , despite being crashed, bashed with rocks etc.

I think Hadge is right about there not being much in it when you’re comparing to other top end bikes. I dont think you can go far wrong with an Ibis, but I dont think I would say they’re good value for money.

ChrisL

I really like my SL. It replaced an Orange 5. The geometry seems to suit me very well and the suspension seems to behave well. I’ve had it for a couple of years with no upkeep issues. Except the little anti-chainsuck plate fell off the chainstay a while back and the bike chain don’t seem to have been able to find a replacement for me yet. 🙁

I suppose if you’re being picky or like being very up to date the SL’s 1 1/8″ non tapered headtube might mean it’s less future proof than some other frames but that’s not going to be a real issue for a while I expect.

ojom
    Free Member

ChrisL – oddly, we have some now. I have been slack in letting you know/crap at my job etc.

Want me to swing one out in the post?

ChrisL

tbc – erm yes, thanks! Should I post a cheque?

ojom
    Free Member

nah – my treat! need your address please. FB?

busydog
    Free Member

Had a Mojo for 3 years now and love it. Haven’t had a single issue with the frame. I ride a real mix of everything from smooth singletrack to high-mountain rock-fests. I did add the Lopes Link to the swing-arm pivot, which stiffens it (enough to be noticeable). Really love the bike it compares more than favorably to any I have owned (3 Spesh, 2 Intense and an Outland–they invented the VPP suspension).

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

all that Ive read about DW link bikes suggests they are very susceptible to changes in set up, seen numerous reviews of the turner and mojo on here where owners have taken a while to gel with them and a small change in shock settings made a huge difference.

Ibis have a stellar rep for warranty and customer support. Ive coveted the mojo for a while (hence reading reviews and write ups despite not owning one) and theres a few versions on sale on a couple of sites I’m trying not to think about too much!

http://www.thebikechain.co.uk/Ibis-Mojo-SL-M-Nuclear-Pesto-20091203020305/

TBC also have a great rep on here and Ive had positive experiences with them

http://www.lexs.co.uk/Product/2012-Ibis-Mojo-SL-The-Light-One-Carbon-Frame
    http://www.moosecycles.com/m6b123s26p1034/IBIS_CYCLES_Mojo_SL_2011/RS_GB/2802

olibluegoat
    Free Member

How do they compare with a zesty. Trying to decide between these two. Will hopefully being taking a demo on a mojo at the weekend

sunnrider
    Free Member

Haven´t ridden one so I couldn´t tell you how it behaves.
    What I have noticed is that they look a bit s*it after a year or two of proper use.

The carbon/paint finish, especially around the bb, doesn´t hold up well but I guess it´s just cosmetic. Think I´d take a Zesty over an Ibis but probably prefer a new Meta am over both of those.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘ibis mojo’ is closed to new replies.