Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • I think some folk need a reality check .
  • oldfart

Or maybe it's GMTV running out of things to say about "The Big Freeze " .People whinging about not having their bins emptied for 3 weeks ? Oh shame !Perhaps they need to sit and watch the pictures coming out of Haiti .They would have something to moan about then .
    Oh and one other thing why do people still insist on killing themselves trying to rescue dog's that have gone on to thin ice ? 🙄

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Haiti's situation sounds truly dire. There was a BBC journo visiting a hospital and talking on R4 this morning. What he was witnessing was so horrible he was struggling to keep it together.

hora
    Free Member

Oh I agree however if we are paying tax on everything along with, income tax to the government and a local tax to the council we should expect pavements to be at least cleared once over the past month of ice. Our area is impossible- plus we have alot of older residents. What should they do? Stay in the house and not move (but still ensure they pay their taxes ontime?).

When you pay taxes on everything it automatically gives you the right to complain IMO.

DezB
    Free Member

You can't compare our situation with Haiti. We live here, they live there. Not relevant.
    But yeah, people should wear proper shoes so they can walk on the snow and let the dog die if its stupid enough to jump in a frozen lake. I certainly would.

tails
    Free Member

Oh and one other thing why do people still insist on killing themselves trying to rescue dog's that have gone on to thin ice ?

out of interest did the dog survive?

uplink
    Free Member

out of interest did the dog survive?

not the one up here – no

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/england/tees/8451706.stm

roper
    Free Member

So you complain about some people not have compassion or understanding of the plight of others and then make a flippant remark about someone dying trying to save a beloved pet?
    Nice one. 🙂

jedi

i used to break the ice to go pike fishing in that lake years back

wwaswas

Buzzlightyear – I heard that – small girl with 'bones sticking out of her legs' and 'one foot hanging off' and no pain relief or treatment available.

If it had been my 8 year old daughter I'm not sure I'd have been as lucid as her dad was about what needed to be done for his country

Was pretty distressing to listen to.

iDave
    Free Member

just seen footage of about 50 'christian' missionaries, getting on the first plane out of Haiti. maybe they were just heading off to get some supplies, I can't believe they'd be fleeing the country unwilling to help in a time of great need, oh no…

rOcKeTdOg

your 1st mistake was watching GMTV

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

don't watch the news or buy news papers, you'll find you won't miss much and if there is a genuine story (haiti) amongst all the other rubbish and scare mongering then you'll get to hear about from forums, work colleagues, friends etc.

mudsux
    Free Member

😯
    I can't believe people are complaining about snow and ice on the same thread as Haiti earthquake victims.

Or even suggesting the irrelevance due to locale.

Sad indeed.

brant
    Free Member

I can't believe people are complaining about snow and ice on the same thread as Haiti earthquake victims.

It's Hora.

[shrugs]

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Ok its awful about Haiti, however if that hadnt happened we would still be complaining about the snow and ice, also they didnt empty my bin yesterday but the took all the recycling stuff, whats that all about FFS.

Nick

Was pretty distressing to listen to.

It was the screaming in the background that got me.

You can't compare our situation with Haiti. We live here, they live there. Not relevant.

We all live here.

jon1973
    Free Member

Or maybe it's GMTV running out of things to say about "The Big Freeze " .People whinging about not having their bins emptied for 3 weeks ? Oh shame !Perhaps they need to sit and watch the pictures coming out of Haiti .They would have something to moan about then .

So nobody has the right to complain about aboslutely anything that happens or goes on in this country then since there is ALWAYS something worse happening to someone else in another country?

DezB
    Free Member

We all live here.

Of course, but the 2 situations the OP is talking about are not related in any way. Of course someone in the UK isn't going to stop worrying about all that is happening in their life because there has been an earthquake somewhere else in the world.
    Otherwise there would be only one thread on the forum today, one news story on tv, etc.

edit: there you go, jon has said the same thing.

hora
    Free Member

Sighs. The OP was trying to draw parallels between how something very close to home is affecting us all on a daily basis (and injuring people) with a tragedy somewhere in the world.

So the next time we trip over and hurt our knee before cussing we should think ‘wait, is there an earthquake somewhere around the world’ first and then castigate oneself for being potentially selfish?

Jesus wept, the news is also covering the Haitian tragedy. Should all other home news stop? Things that directly affect people now can be at the front of their minds you know.

My ice post REFERS to the OP's posting.

What next? Next time the Scottish Idiot **** up- does he merely have to point to a disaster around the world and say 'buck up you idiots, you've got it cushy here'?

DezB
    Free Member

Exactly hora.
    But when are the bin men coming?

ojom
    Free Member

What Scottish Idiot do you refer to? There are many of us

hora
    Free Member

No idea. The temp is low enough that it isnt a hazard IMO. In addition, the roads around our area are sheet ice so it would be disastrous if a bin truck came down here. Last year a neighbours car was stoved into a wall by a reversing bin truck.

What Scottish Idiot do you refer to? There are many of us

There can be only one.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I think all Roland is asking for is an attempt by the media and the general public to react proportionately to difficulties. It will never happen because it relates to one's everyday experience…

For example, one of my neighbours (Eddie) had a verbal fit because one of my other neighbours (Ian) had let his grass grow too long "makes the place look like a slum!" While I agree it would be nice if the grass was cut, it was a huge over-reaction but not an atypical suburbanite response. If Eddie ever spent some time in a real slum, he would probably react differently.

ojom
    Free Member

Ok so i assume his 'nationality' determines his mental aptitude then?

gonefishin
    Free Member

There can be only one.

Connor MacLeod? What does he have to with anything?

hora
    Free Member

Ok so i assume his 'nationality' determines his mental aptitude then?

Whats your point caller?

ojom
    Free Member

Just curious as to why you called him 'Scottish Idiot'. Do you refer to the English politicians as 'English Guy'?

Nick

It was the 'we live here, they live there' comment that prompted my reply, not the fact that earthquakes and bin emptying have nothing in common.

DezB
    Free Member

It was the 'we live here, they live there' comment that prompted my reply

Sure, I've been up since 5 though, so my argumentative skills aren't quite there today.

Olly
    Free Member

Oh I agree however if we are paying tax on everything along with, income tax to the government and a local tax to the council we should expect pavements to be at least cleared once over the past month of ice. Our area is impossible- plus we have alot of older residents. What should they do? Stay in the house and not move (but still ensure they pay their taxes ontime?).

When you pay taxes on everything it automatically gives you the right to complain IMO.

apparently, in yank land, according to a paper i was reading (online) in america (all of or someparts, i dont know) its the homeowners responsibility to clear the paths up to and the public walkways across the front of thier property, and not only that, its the LAW that it HAS to be done.
    if not done by 6hrs from the end of the snowfall, they get a visit and a warning, if not done by 10am the following day, the local services do it, and bill them $250

flippinheckler
    Free Member

thebikechain – Member
    Just curious as to why you called him 'Scottish Idiot'. Do you refer to the English politicians as 'English Guy'

If he was Welsh the he would be a Welsh idiot, Scottish the Scottish idiot, English then just an idiot unless he from Yorkshire then he becomes a Yorkshire tw*t 😆 if from London a Cockney prat or from Ireland then an Irish dick, thats fair enough IMO. 😆

hora
    Free Member

Olly, that is a great idea. I think there is the risk of the householder being sued here.

thebikechain – if I said 'that English idiot' you wouldnt have a clue who I meant. My point is therefore valid.

ojom
    Free Member

That's what i was thinking Flippin chap. Thanks for the clarification. 😉

AdamW
    Free Member

If he was Welsh the he would be a Welsh idiot, Scottish the Scottish idiot, English then just an idiot unless he from Yorkshire then he becomes a Yorkshire tw*t if from London a Cockney prat or from Ireland then an Irish dick, thats fair enough IMO.

Everyone knows that there is no such thing as a 'Welsh idiot'. We're all geniuses. So there!

gonefishin
    Free Member

English then just an idiot

Well I suppose that would be a tautology 😉

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Olly – my relations live in Canada and thats certainly the law there. My uncle has a snow-blower, just for doing his driveway and the pavement outside his house.

And FWIW, I'm going to worry about my own life, here in Blighty, my trouble getting to work, my bins not being emptied (which is an issue with the amount of rubbish a 4 month old baby makes) before worrying about and admittedalty tragic situation in Haiti, a country which I've never even bothered to spare a thought before so I'm not going to come onto here and be told I need a reality check whilst I've enough problems of my own here. Thanks. That bothered about it? Get on the plane to Haiti then and make a difference if life is so problem-free here.

miketually
    Free Member

It was the screaming in the background that got me.

They were crying because they'd just heard someone over here hadn't had their wheelie bin emptied for a fortnight even though they paid their Council Tax! I don't think they have Council tax in Haiti, so it was something of a shock to them and put all their problems into perspective.

hora
    Free Member

The English parliament is full of them. I think it could cross the party divide but if anyone says Boris is one, I'll have 'yer 8)

DezB
    Free Member

They were crying because they'd just heard someone over here hadn't had their wheelie bin emptied for a fortnight even though they paid their Council Tax! I don't think they have Council tax in Haiti, so it was something of a shock to them and put all their problems into perspective.

Ooh, how tewwibly fwippant of you

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘I think some folk need a reality check .’ is closed to new replies.