Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • I really didn't enjoy that
  • uplink
    Free Member

Just done a 35 mile loop from Osmotherley & – TBH – it was grim

My Camelbak was leaking so I had a cold wet back to start with & every mile just seem to drag – the mud on the Cleveland way along Whitestone Cliff was the final straw, I must have stopped to clean it out at least 4 times & ended up carrying the bike to the road in the end.
    When I could pedal is was so so slow & difficult.

That's it, I'm sticking with the road bike until such time that it dries again or we get a good freeze
    This is supposed to be fun 🙁

grumm
    Free Member

Or just go somewhere more suited to current conditions? 😛

ton

lakes, dales, peaks, north pennines………..
    all not much more than a hour from you.
    MTFU………………….. 😉

robgarrioch

Roads not much more fun, + added death machines awaiting fresh meat – nearly taken out myself by a red-lights-don't-apply-to-me driver this afternoon; more adrenaline than deliverance descent.

uplink
    Free Member

I've since had a hot bath & a bowl of my missus' home made leak & potato soup
    Things aren't half as bad 😀

as you were ……..

badblood
    Free Member

should have gone to the Dales with the HTB, sounds like they are having a whale of a time

uplink
    Free Member

the HTB?

badblood
    Free Member

Hamsterley Trail Blazers

FFS – grow a pair. And road riding's shit.

Have you never ridden in Winter before? Going home, covered in mud, soaked to the bone and grinning from ear to ear. Lets face it, Summer's not much better – it's just a bonus when Spring and Autumn happen. The odd ride will turn into a big chore, but so what – MTFU and for God's sake road riding is not your answer. Have you lost your soul man?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Our ride yesterday on Farleton Knott was quite chilly and mostly in light/moderate rain with heavier bursts and a few brief glimpses of sunshine. With several beginners along there were some protracted waits, so most of us were cold and uncomfortable a good deal of the time (though obviously I was in fingerless mitts and shorts), but we all had a great time sliding around in the mud and fording a foot deep beck (well, a few took the bridge). The funniest bit was where we had to slog along a normally fast BW which was now waterlogged, only to be simultaeously dazzled by the mocking sunshine reflecting on the water! We all agreed that, individually, we'd not have gone riding on a day like that, but the group dynamic pulled us along, and gave us a great feeling of achievment :o)

I have to admit there were no takers for a longer ride round Nidderdale today. I think one drenching per weekend may be enough!

clubber
    Free Member

Road riding's great actually.

Anyway, I was out today and the trails were sodden, as was I by the end the ride. It didn't rain, mind. It was brilliant though 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

I was amazed how easy the riding was yesterday (Cranham). It looked like shit but rolled just fine.

My personal opinion obviously, but having done the road thing when I was younger, I can vouch for the FACT, that in comparison to the shittiest, coldest, wettest, most painful MTB ride you've ever endured, road riding still sucks baws.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

if you like it

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Ride somewhere rockier in the winter if you can – although you'll get wet generally the riding is more fun as there will be less claggy mud. Or get better mud tyres.

Riding on the road in the winter can be grim as well – all the grit and salt can make things a little tricky and if you don't have mudguards you'll get it all over your face and arse. And visibility is usually a bit poorer too making it harder for car drivers to see you. And then there's the icy bits of road that haven't been gritted….

barca
    Free Member

I did the Mary Townley Loop yestersday morning and an hours leg loosener on the road bike this morning. I was going to meet a load of people from here to do a local Peak ride literally just up the road from my house or the Stockport fella's in Macc Forest but I couldn't face either.
    Even though my legs still hurt from yesterdays leg breaker, that road ride was beautiul. No mud, no grit, not wet, lovely views and nice and peaceful.
    I'm with Uplink.

rOcKeTdOg

if you like it

you win the " pointing out the obvious" prize of 2009

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

you win the " pointing out the obvious" prize of 2009

well, I didn't think it stood without qualification 🙂

Candodavid
    Free Member

PUSSIE!!! nuff said

nickc

Did 100km on the road this morning, was just as bad as some off road rides I've been on, but then you turn a corner, and the headwind becomes a tailwind, and all seems right with the world, some tunes, nice scenery it's all good. Getting slightly fed up with being rained on though.

Goz
    Free Member

Its pretty grim down here in gloucestershire, best plan is to stay indoors in the warm and dry….sod riding!

barca
    Free Member

Oh dear. I've taken part in an online conversation that contains "FACT" and "Nuff said".
    My shame is complete.

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Just done 30 miles – most of the single track was basically streams – double track rim deep mud – got home with ¼” of god own finest gritstone mud all over my kit (loads of disgusted looks from the red sock on the tow path) – one of the best rides I’ve had in ages – Had planed to take the road bike out this morning until I saw how wet the roads were – I would much rather slide around on 2.25” tyres rather then silly skinny thing

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

My shame is complete.

I don't think you can be held responsible for what other people say, or that you should shun people using such terms…

barca – I think you miss the irony of the way things are said on here sometimes.

uplink
    Free Member

Have you never ridden in Winter before? Going home, covered in mud, soaked to the bone and grinning from ear to ear

Yeah – pretty much every year for the last 12 years or so
    Yesterdays ride was just not ticking any boxes for some reason – maybe I need a mojo recharge?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Nah, I'm sure your mojo's fine. The majority of rides in mud are crap, people just remember the good ones.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The majority of rides in mud are crap

wrong, so wrong 🙂

didmatt
    Free Member

That's it, I'm sticking with the road bike until such time that it dries again or we get a good freeze
    This is supposed to be fun

I was going to head out on the NYM's myself this morning, but thought with all the rain we've had lately I'd give it a miss. I've done a few 'boggy' moors rides and I can understand the pain riding when its soaked.

Having said that, i took my Xc bike out on a 30mile road ride (of course nothing compared to roadie distances) this morning and still managed to get it covered in mud.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The majority of rides in mud are crap
    Depends on the quality of the mud actually. 'Clarty' mud is the best cos you get up to the eyeballs but you can still move, Gooey mud is the worst cos it sticks to everything & it's like pedalling through treacle, plus your bike ends up weighing 15 tons.
    There's nothing more satisfying than watching loads of clarts disappearing down the shower drain as it runs off your legs!
    Dunno why anyone bothers with the NYM in winter, lovely in the dry but crap at the mo. Head for Swaledale young man!

monkeychild
    Free Member

I last rode form Osmotherly in Jan and it was 'kin claggy up in them there hills. I ended up having a bath in the resevoir at the end 😆 I got some proper odd looks as it was baltic!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘I really didn't enjoy that’ is closed to new replies.