Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • I knew hoarding 10 year old lights would pay off
  • sandwicheater

Our two year old wanted to play on his scooter last night.

Ah ha! Two ticks wee man.

[/url]Untitled by Phillip Dalton, on Flickr[/img]

One happy two year old splashing through muddy puddles in the dark.

10 year old Lumicycle that keeps going, hurah!

jambalaya
    Free Member

The “man drawer” to the rescue !

GrahamS

I have an even older set with the big bottle battery sitting in my man-drawer waiting for the day I can be arsed doing an LED upgrade. 😀

zippykona

How does it compare to your cheapest light?

binners

Brill! 😀

My old halogen Lumi’s have been utilised as barby illumination while camping

El-bent
    Free Member

I have an even older set with the big bottle battery sitting in my man-drawer waiting for the day I can be arsed doing an LED upgrade.

I have two 12 year old sets that I converted to LED, batteries are still going strong.

GrahamS

I have two 12 year old sets that I converted to LED

Did you do one of the one’s that were posted on here a couple of years ago? Or come up with your own?

Looks easy enough – main difficulty is probably getting a neatly fitting heat sink.

warns74
    Free Member

Oven glove needs a wash!

teasel
    Free Member

Indeed, it’s bloody filthy! Not to mention that it’s mere centimeters away from a wheel that’s probably been ridden through all manner of stuff including dog shit particles.

Grim.

Floor could do with a sweep, too…

brassneck

Did you do one of the one’s that were posted on here a couple of years ago? Or come up with your own?

Think the was user ‘Blackcat’? – he recently said he’d stopped selling them on EBay for economic reasons – his kits had to cost more than Chinese lights :-/

Wouldn’t mind a couple of sets myself, they’d make a great commuter set. A project for winter maybe.

kcal

I still have a pair of Lumis with the bottle (and a bar clamp).

I have upgraded as well.

Weirdly when I was looking for Lumi batteries / lamps on eBay, there was a guy that managed to sell two of the f*ck-off huge CatEye HL100s – with 1h 10m burn time – for a very reasonable £20 or so. The battery (LA IIRC) took up most of the frame triangle and weighed – a ton..

GrahamS

The old Halogen lumis seemed great, till I upgraded to a Gloworm X2:

Ridiculously bright and a tiny battery by comparison but a longer run time.

One day though I’ll get around to converting the Lumi as a backup.

One day…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

if you’ve got old lights with NiCad batteries, be aware if they fully discharge over time there is a risk one of the cells can reverse polarity, killing the battery. Happened only a couple of years ago to a NiteRider Pro 6 I’d had since (…casts mind back…) 1998. Had a look at repair/tinker/modify but it became uneconomic with the prices I could find equivalent LED/Li-ion units for.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I’m genuinely surprised no one has mentioned you could seriously burn a child to death with that set up unless they are doing 88.8 mph to cool it, or enter a time warp 😉

sandwicheater

I had forgotten they get as hot as the sun. He was wearing gloves but, when we go again i’ll found underneath the bars.

Oven glove is all burn, I have a tendency to flap in the kitchen when cooking and often the gloves end up on or near the gas hob, 😳

Was surprised what a good light spread they give to be fair to them. May resurrect them with some new bulbs and lend them to a friend. Get him riding over winter.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘I knew hoarding 10 year old lights would pay off’ is closed to new replies.