Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Just when you think we've reached Peak Stupid
  • GrahamS

What do they say satellites are ?

Seems to vary.

Some say satellites don’t exist and are just another NASA hoax, like “space” and “stars”.

Others concede that they do exist, but are just following a circular flight path over the Earth disc.

molgrips
    Free Member

water vapour absorbs light and more blue gets through hence everything a long way away looks blueish and the sky is a long way away

Not correct.

An oxygen molecule is about the size of the wavelength of blue light. This means that the blue part of the sun’s light is scattered around much more than the rest of it. It gets scattered around randomly, so the blue photons are bombing around all over the place and they can hit your eyes from any angle. Hence, when you look up at any angle you get blue photons, and then you see blue. The sun’s light is actually white, but because some of the blue is scattered around, it looks yellow from down here.

At sunset, the sun’s light goes through more oxygen (it comes at a lower angle to you) so more blue is scattered, and hence the sun looks redder. However, the light is also going through a lot more dust in the atmosphere (because the dust is mostly low down) which scatters the red light, so by the same token you get red photons coming from all angles.

Curvature of the earth is clearly visible on a clear day on the beautiful Aberdovey to Barmouth road on a very clear day. I can see three islands on the Lleyn, I thought there was only one.. keep driving, they aren’t islands…

Junkyard
    Free Member

ah right process wrong thing

Stands corrected

GrahamS

“Ok, why is the sky blue then?”

Science innit?

richmtb

water vapour absorbs light and more blue gets through hence everything a long way away looks blueish and the sky is a long way away

Close,

Its actually nitrogen molecules that scatter the light (the air being mainly nitrogen). The blue end of the spectrum doesn’t scatter as much so the sky looks blue as a result

bencooper
    Free Member

Which is also why sunsets are red. Blue light gets scattered, leaving the red light.

Curvature of the earth is clearly visible on a clear day on the beautiful Aberdovey to Barmouth road on a very clear day. I can see three islands on the Lleyn, I thought there was only one.. keep driving, they aren’t islands…

You can also stand by the seashore on a clear calm day and hold a longish straight edge up against the horizon.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Can we make our minds up what scatters the light?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

You can also stand by the seashore on a clear calm day and hold a longish straight edge up against the horizon.

Bullshit, I have proof!!!1!1!1!one!!!

allthegear
    Free Member

BigButSlimmerBloke:

Health & Safety innit? Designed to keep stupid people alive and allowing them to breed, H&S ensures Peak Stupidity is not on the immediate event horizon.

but HR proves it must be just within reach, surely?

Rachel

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Last one, maybe.

molgrips
    Free Member

Its actually nitrogen molecules that scatter the light (the air being mainly nitrogen). The blue end of the spectrum doesn’t scatter as much so the sky looks blue as a result

No – the sky is black, and it’s the *more* scattered blue light that makes it look blue.

knightrider3
    Free Member

what about this then:

knightrider3
    Free Member

Pretty sure thats round not “flat”

aracer
    Free Member

Why is it that flat earthers always visualise the earth as being round? What’s wrong with a square or a triangle?

wwaswas

Why is it that flat earthers always visualise the earth as being round?

I blame Terry Pratchett.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You deviant weirdo burn the heretic witch

GrahamS

I’m liking that last one ^^ monkeyfudger

Like many flat-earthers he has clearly never been in a moving vehicle.

“If this train is travelling at 100mph then how can I take pictures of those distant hills without it being all blurry.”

“Also how come I can stand up without being thrown violently against the back of the train? Eh?”

“Clearly the train is stationary.”

😆

jam-bo

Why is it that flat earthers always visualise the earth as being round? What’s wrong with a square or a triangle?

it’s about the least absurd logical fallacy.

NewRetroTom

Can we make our minds up what scatters the light?

Just stumbled across this:

When the sun’s light reaches the Earth’s atmosphere it is scattered, or deflected, by the tiny molecules of gas (mostly nitrogen and oxygen) in the air. Because these molecules are much smaller than the wavelength of visible light, the amount of scattering depends on the wavelength. This effect is called Rayleigh scattering, named after Lord Rayleigh who first discovered it.

Shorter wavelengths (violet and blue) are scattered the most strongly, so more of the blue light is scattered towards our eyes than the other colours. You might wonder why the sky doesn’t actually look purple, since violet light is scattered even more strongly than blue. This is because there isn’t as much violet in sunlight to start with, and our eyes are much more sensitive to blue.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning/learn-about-the-weather/how-weather-works/why-is-the-sky-blue

GrahamS

Why is it that flat earthers always visualise the earth as being round?

Because it “explains” how we can circumnavigate the Earth – we’re just travelling in circles.

What I want to know is: what’s on the other side??

bencooper
    Free Member

There isn’t another side, it’s turtles all the way down.

GrahamS

By the way, in those figures above it says the entire Milky Way galaxy is going at 670,000,000 mph.

That doesn’t seem right – the speed of light is 671,000,000mph!

Not sure what the correct “official” speed is, but 1.3 million mph seems to come up a fair bit on Google (e.g. https://astrosociety.org/edu/publications/tnl/71/howfast.html )

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Just a few moar because Lolz!

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Can we do dinosaurs or Noah’s Ark next?

Please, please, pretty plase.

ononeorange

Are Graham S’s videos on the first page actually, really genuine?! If so, for the first time in my life and quite probably the last, I almost feel intelligent. Unbelievable!

crazy-legs

I stumbled across some similarly batshit mental conspiracy theorist, she’d commented on a video posted on Facebook by some friend of a friend type thing.

The video itself was to do with the atmosphere (something legitimate about climate change) but that brought her onto chemtrails and Government conspiracies to control the population and how even if you took the battery out of your mobile, NSA/FBI/CIA could still listen to everything you were saying via a direct microphone which beamed your conversation direct to their supercomputers which could track the movements of millions of people simultaneously and … and … and…

Basically it was all because NASA were trying to control the atmosphere because they had to try and pretend that the moon landings were real.

Junkyard
    Free Member

aim higher

jam-bo

Easy

slowoldman

How thick is the earth disc?

aracer
    Free Member

Not quite as thick as most of the people mentioned on this thread

bencooper
    Free Member

Man tries to put out a fire by driving over it in his truck. Which was full of ammunition.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR833w1q_F8[/video]

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Because I know you lot were wondering.

😛

For teh Lolz.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Not just Flat Earth theories!

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Just when you think we've reached Peak Stupid’ is closed to new replies.