Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Old Lumicycle Halogen Light LED Conversion
  • mjb

I’ve got a pair of old Lumicycle halogen lights, one of which I converted to LEDs a couple of years ago (triple XPG and 670mA driver from memory). Anyway I’ve finally got round to converting the other one and would like a slightly brighter light. I’ve got a different driver board that I could use that has a 920mA output but I was just wondering how much things have moved on and what the current options are for LEDs and optics? Is it worth getting something more up to date or should I just stick with the XPGs that I already have a spare of?

Vortexracing

I would stick with the XPG’s

I’m still using mine form that original conversion I did. With the 920ma driver it will make a good light.

just consider a 1/2 power setting to manage the heatbuild up.

I’m assuming the driver is a blackcat one?

mjb

Yep, it’s the blackcat one. I was thinking of using the switch to toggle between low and high power and just pull the plug out to turn it off. Your probably right the old driver gives a good light so the higher powered one should be enough for my needs and I have all the parts. Just need to remember how to wire it up!

pdw
    Free Member

The heat at that current is pretty marginal. I ran one at 980mA and it lasted a full winter of commuting, then died going up a hill on a mild summer evening.

You will get a bit more light out of an XM-L, but probably not worth doing if you’ve already got the parts. The XM-Ls are also much harder to focus so you’ll end up with a fairly floody light no matter what optic you use.

I’ve got an XM-L running in a Lumicycle can at 1.5A, but that’s with a bflex driver and some better heatsinking.

RustyMac

I have a pair of Lumi halogen cans converted to LED with the Trout heatsink/LED packages and 830mA drivers from BCT. I wired them up with 3 position switches readily available from Maplin.

If you are struggling for wiring my email is in my profile i can draw you a sketch and see if i can get a pic of how mine are wired. Not had a problem with heat with my setup.

stumpy01

I did a black cat 670ma for me & a mate, then did a couple of 830s seeing as the 670 was ok.

Both 830’s failed before too long. I think they got too hot for the can. I would stick with the 670’s.

Next plan is to make my own cans & use bflex drivers but never got around to it.

Vortexracing
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Old Lumicycle Halogen Light LED Conversion’ is closed to new replies.