Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • I have become so materialistic
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

I am obsessed with buying stuff and spending money on useless garbage.

A few years ago i was really into mountain biking and that kept me happy/fit/sane. Now i've become obsessed with loads of stuff i don't own and how can i afford to own them.

Mabye its the 4 beers and two jack Daniels, but it just came to me tonight while watching "I'm in a Rock and Roll Band" and thought about splaffing money on a bass guitar (which will go on the list along with i-phone, motorbike, fancy expensive watch, fender telecaster, new car, new bike etc etc etc)

How the hell did this creep up on me?

john_drummer
    Free Member

best not show you this then:

oops!

samuri
    Free Member

You have too much money. hth.

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

When you've spent £100 on an ironing board 'because it's the best' come back and talk to me about materialism.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Been there and done that. Kind of got over it all though to a large extent (given how bad I was!). A big paycut and reassessing life priorities did that, and there is another reassessment coming up I think!

zaskar
    Free Member

Trying to Dehord all the crap I own.

Sold hundreds £ of bike stuff I would never use.

Well OP at least you recognised the prob, now go and bloody ride.
    (In the morning)

pitduck
    Free Member

stop it.It won`t make you happy 😉

noteeth
    Free Member

Own lots of stuff, and it can end up owning you…

Simplify, innit.

alexxx
    Free Member

When you've spent £100 on an ironing board 'because it's the best' come back and talk to me about materialism.

haha that hit a spot with me 😀

ojom
    Free Member

If you must spend your money then spend it on experiences. Go on more trips and holidays and treat others well with it too. You will be enriched as a human and happier deep down.

The idea is to aim for your final years being filled with good memories of your life – all the tat we surround ourselves with will be worth nothing.

My personal situation changes monumentally this week coming for the better and will see me finally being able to live the life i want free of burdens that have weighed me down for 10 years.

It's now all about using my resources for helping others and amassing less stuff and focussing on Life.

Give it a go.

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

think you might have too much 'free' time on your hands. stop dreaming and go out and enjoy being. (agree very much with thebikechain).
    easier said than done though for most people (myself included)

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Yeah – I will buy into that sentiment as well. Life is for living, not shopping 😉 Having been crap at living life for the last 10 years I am rather looking forward to getting back to it (though my mate tells me to prepare for some rather rough months as I make the necessary changes to allow life to resume….)

ton

why can't life be for spending and living.

i go to work to earn money to spend on the things i like……..what is wrong with that?

ojom
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with that at all Ton if it makes you a happy person. The OP doesnt seem to be happy with that approach anymore.

Each to their own etc what's good for one n all that.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Ton – because consumerism is bad man 😉

Think of all the emissions that come from manufacturing – we have to be sustainable now…. Alternatively we are all fked since the Americans seem to have decided that polluting more is actually a positive display of your wealth (I read that somewhere) 🙄

So business as usual then – think I may book a long haul flight in the next few weeks – Christmas in the Rockies is sounding oh so tempting just now!

Jellybaby
    Free Member

If you must spend your money then spend it on experiences

+1 thebikechain

I must admit i like to look good when doing it too – what? can't help it, i'm a girl!

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

I'm going the other way. If it's not getting used,sell it. Had promised myself a new motorbike last year. When it came to actually buying it,changed my mind. It would have just sat gathering dust in the garage.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

I like stuff. It causes me no grief and if I really wanted to offset my carbon footprint I would just shoot an American.

Love it, leave it or change it. Your call.

backhander
    Free Member

So business as usual then – think I may book a long haul flight in the next few weeks – Christmas in the Rockies is sounding oh so tempting just now!

So long as you avoid BA.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

The thing is thebikechain…you're up sh!t creek without a paddle if all your customers decide to adopt the same philosophy to life as you do…or do you sell "experiences" as well as expensive bike stuff? 😉

ojom
    Free Member

Heh – that is the knife edge we live on!

We do actually give away places on skills courses on selected bikes so you can get shown how to ride them properly – makes you riding better so technically it's an experience 😀

I pick a pretty tight range of 'value' kit in the shop anyway – prefer selling stuff that actually does last and provide a life of use. That's as close as i can get to the philosophy at the moment, and make a margin and keep people employed!

shooterman

I've been there. A few weeks of unemployment changed my perspective. I'm now trying very hard to simplify my life and pay off the mortgage very early. Therafter it's one really good holiday for me and the family every year and a lots of weekends away.

The crap I own just clutters up my life.

ton

got to be honest, having just 3 bikes to think about does make life a litte bit easier………. 😆

bedmaker

if I really wanted to offset my carbon footprint I would just shoot an American

That really deserves to be on a T shirt 😀

Bunnyhop

As a self employed person I am constantly at odds with the customers I deal with. They tend to be wealthy and materialistic, in my eyes not many of them are happy. Some live in huge houses and worry about their security and if their children will be safe.

Some are very demanding 'cos they're used to having everything and everything now!

I must admit it would be nice to be able to go on some of the holidays that they can afford, but they all seem to be 'cash rich and time poor'. I have chosen the other route.

We have too many things, but this is gradually changing, these things are getting older and we're not replacing them, instead fixing, re-cycling or making do without.

Not shopping is easy if you cut up your credit card, or, just allow yourself a certain amount of 'spends' per month.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘I have become so materialistic’ is closed to new replies.