Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • i-beam or conventional post and saddle any thoughts?
  • london_lad_liam
    Free Member

hey all,

deciding new saddle and post for my bike not sure what wat to go any thoughts?

many thanks

liam

bigant

I-beam generally lighter – I wouldn’t want to use the bel air I have on a hardtail as there is no flex in the solid I-beam rail – looks like some of their other designs so have a cut out on the rail so would offer some support. If you have boing on the back it’s less of an issue 🙂

br
    Free Member

I’ve been using them for the last couple of years.

27.2 alloy post and i-Fly is super stiff and only for short XC racing.
    27.2 alloy post and standard i-seat is fine for all day – but a bit hard later on.
    27.2 carbon post and standard i-seat is great for all day.

I would like to try the new Formula seat with the carbon post, as that would probably be comfy enough, but still not too heavy.

On a 456Ti.

kamina
    Free Member

Got an I-Beam for my previous build, and while I do prefer sdg saddles, I had to go through 3 to find a bearable one. I’m sure it depends on your ass, but mine is boney and The lack of flex made it ache. Not again for me.

ssnowman
    Free Member

It is firmer, but I haven’t found it an isuue on my hardtail ss and that’s using an I-Fly C, which is very hard.

If you are putting on a full suss, I can’t see why there would be any problems at all.

iain1775
    Free Member

Formula FX saddle (the one with the more flexy ibeam) and Kore carbon ibeam post
    Wouldnt use anything else now
    Did me fine for 3 days solid riding at 7 staines last weekend dont honestly notice any difference from a conventional set up comfortwise

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve got an I-Beam on my BFe and the saddle and post are pretty light, although not quite as light as the carbon post and Ti-railed saddle I have on one of my other bikes.

Comfort wise it’s reasonable, but I don’t find it quite as comfortable as a conventional set-up as there doesn’t seem to be much give in it.

T1000
    Free Member

great concept let down by poor engineering, wouldn’t trust your neither regions to them….. they have a habit of failing particularly in cold weather

FOG

Post is no problem but seat is hideosly uncomfortable. I always use SDG saddles but the I-beam ones cut me in half and I certainly don’t have a boney ass.I gave up eventually and bought a conventional post and normal SDG bel air.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

no problems with SDG and I-beams on 3 bikes including 2 hardtails.

The conventional rail system is a poor piece of design for a mountain bike which should have disappeared ages ago.

*runs away quickly*

tthew

Mine’s OK, but the saddle beam is one of the new style I think, just joined at the front and back, like a normal perch. Came with the bike, I wouldn’t buy one with my own money though as it is too limiting for future changes.

kamina
    Free Member

Formula FX saddle (the one with the more flexy ibeam) a

Yeah, that was the bearable one for me. The shape was good, but the parts where the flexible thing attached to could still be felt through the saddle, and started to ache after a while. I tried two “nonflexible” ones before it and they where awful.

Now running a ti-fly, bliss.

nickc

I use a I-fly on the roadie on a Kore carbon post, s’very nice and comfy, and a Bel Air ST (slightly more padded) on the Chameleon. from the back riding buddies can see the whole lot moving about, it’s very flexible

Picto
    Free Member

Had an ibeam bel air SL on a ti456. Found it fine for all day rides and was really pleased with it. Lost faith in the set up after snapping 2 ibeam posts in a month at the start of this year. (Not a bunter honest).

Did wonder if the lack of suspension you get from normal saddle rails contributed to the failure.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘i-beam or conventional post and saddle any thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.