Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Hubs for new wheels is hope worth it?
  • stewart4444
    Free Member

want some new wheels.
    decided on Mavic 717xc rims but….

Do i get hope pro evo 2 and have the end cost at £360 to £390 (pair, depending on the spokes i choose).

or do i save £150 and just get shimano hubs?

I guess the question is, is the hope hubs really worth almost double the shimano ones?
    is so why?

(i would be getting red ones so they would look cool)

br
    Free Member

Just get Hope Hoops, at £300 all in.

njee20
    Free Member

And get Crest rims not XC717s.

wwaswas

Just get Hope Hoops, at £300 all in.

+1

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shimano.

Oh noes…cup and cone vs cartridge ARGUE-A-GEDDON

Edinburgh, shortly:

enfht
    Free Member

Shimano are less draggy, go Shimano, save energy and money

willyboy
    Free Member

Buy these– my xc hubs are about 8 years old now (i’m the second owner) – i’ve changed the bearings once in the last 3 years and clean the pawls about once every 18 months (if I remember).

Even if you need to buy new bearings for them, they’re only about £15 for a full set

pickle
    Free Member

Just go for whatever ones you like the look of and can afford 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Buy these- my xc hubs are about 8 years old now

Except they’re the wrong colour, and XC hubs are far heavier than Pro 2s. I only sold my Crest Hoops for £30 more, and they were 9 months old!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hopes for lightness, longevity and rebuildability. You are not really comparing like with like with shimano

willyboy
    Free Member

i suppose they’re not that light. But rear bearings in pro 2’s aren’t that good either – the new evo versions are meant to be much better.
    For lighter weight american classics would be better

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shimano for value, longevity and rebuildability (and lightness if you are happy to waste spend as much as Hope hubs cost), as long as you have the mechanical sympathy to deal with servicing. You are not really comparing like with like with Hope.

jonba
    Free Member

I’d go for crest hope hoops as above. But I’ll add that you can get them <£300 from progressive cycles (or it might be bikes).

Much lighter wheels and just as strong.

float
    Free Member

if you dont mind faffing around with your hubs for 30 mins every couple of weeks to keep them running smooth(ish), get shimano.

if you just want your hubs to work, get pro 2s

steviepcommencal
    Free Member

Hope’s all the way, so easy to service and light and strong, what more do you need???

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Surprised no one has mentioned that Shimano freehubs can and do freeze in cold weather. Oh well, I’ll do it.

njee20
    Free Member

I had a DT240 hub freeze a few years ago, not a Shimano issue.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Hope’s all the way, so easy to service and light and strong, what more do you need???
    Decent after sales? 😆

IHN

I’d say buy willyboys wheels. They’re exactly like mine (so much so I was a bit worried my bike had been nicked…)

willyboy
    Free Member

i should have said they’re not my wheels for sale – i just pointed them out as they’re quite well priced and they should last a good while

sugdenr
    Free Member

I have a set of 717 on black XC hubs, selling because I have too many wheel sets. £140 posted. Pics on request.

Northwind

Hope hoops are good value. I don’t think I’d pay the price Hope want for standalone hubs though.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Hubs for new wheels is hope worth it?’ is closed to new replies.