Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • HTC Hero – apps recommdations?
  • dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Recently got hold of a new HTC Hero, does anyone have any suggestions for decent apps for it?
    Anything useful for the bike or sports in general would be nice…

Pembo
    Free Member

My Tracks is good for logging rides and has a great inetrface with google maps. I used it for the first time on Saturday, I just pressed 'start track' then put it in my backpack. It recorded the whole route and gave me speed, distance elevation etc. Press another button and it loads it up to Google Maps and gives a URL you can email out.

Also get Grid Reference, does what it says on the tin.

spacemonkey

Excellent choice Dave. I picked up a Hero 3-4 weeks ago and it's such a cool piece of kit.

As for apps, do a Google for Android forums – there's at leat 4-5 active ones with lists/reviews of apps, etc.

Some of my apps are:
    Beebplayer – BBC iPlayer
    Beelicious – delicious tags
    Cardio Trainer – great for tracking runs/rides with mapping, etc
    DroidLive – radio player
    Evernote – cool note management app
    Greed – RSS feed manager
    iMeem – music player/streamer
    LastFM – radio player
    Layar – wacky virtual augmentation viewer for "seeing" who and what is close by
    Meridien video player – as the name suggests
    MixZingLite – music player (with album art, etc)
    MovieFinder – cinema listings with trailers
    MyBackup – backup pretty much everything onto SDCard
    TwiDroid – twitter app
    Weatherbug – as the name suggests
    WiFi Analyser – picks up wifi in the area
    AppManager – manage apps

Pembo, hadn't heard about MyTracks before – have just installed and will give it a go over the weekend – looks cool from the video.

SM

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Cheers guys.

Having played with it more, it's pretty obviuos that the OS is still in its infancy, but hopefully it'll get better.
    That's a blummin long apps list – ta! 🙂

Having problems with HTC Sync though, issues with a driver & getting it to install correctly. Nowhere on the web seems to have a definite fix for the problem (Generic Device Management Executable & something about generic.exe), so it's stopping me flashing the new ROM and getting on with using it properly.

Flaperon

OS Map – free Ordnance Survey maps.

rOcKeTdOg

+1 for beebplayer excellent bit of tech, watching railway walks with julia as i type 🙂

spacemonkey

Call HTC helpdesk – they're pretty good. Otherwise this might provider some pointers.

spacemonkey

And check your firmware – version 2.7 launched last week. But check with your provider if you can install it and not void the warranty. Some third-party providers are less than happy for you to do this even though it's a manuf update.

IanMmmm
    Free Member

Velox/Velox Pro – GPS cycle computer
    Wikitude Pro – Arguemented Reality Overlay (has to be seen to be understood – similar to Layer)
    Google Places – search and read reviews for local services, shops, places to eat
    Qype – search and read reviews for local services, shops, places to eat
    Shop Savvy – barcode scanner and price comparison tool (can save you a lot of money on books, dvds, CD's etc)
    NewsRob – google reader syncronised RSS reader
    ChompSMS – sms replacement
    Google Listen – podcasting client and search engine
    Astrid – task/to do list manager
    Barcode Scanner – 3d/informational barcode scanner
    Google voice search – search google whilst driving
    Picsay – add amusing voice/thought bubbles to photographs

I absolutely love my Android phone, so I would say go and get one! Much better than an iPhone

BlingBling
    Free Member

I might get me one of those…..

Pembo
    Free Member

LinkHere's the My Tracks from Friday evening. If you click on the end track it gives you the stats. Not as good as a Garmin but still pretty good.

glenh
    Free Member

How Steep.

Tells you if it's a huck or just jeyXC.

kennyNI
    Free Member

There's a driver buried in the directory HTC sync was installed in, not on sd card as it says in manuals. Might be the one you are looking for. Found this when tethering phone to computer.

Pembo
    Free Member

How Steep.

Tells you if it's a huck or just jeyXC.

Steeper than anything you can ride at the moment 😉

rOcKeTdOg

that shopsavvy app really works! i'm impressed

IanMmmm
    Free Member

Of course it works … would I lie to you??!

29erKeith
    Free Member

+1 for the new firmware makes a big difference

great phone am loving it to (was a blessing in disguise when my HD was stolen)
    I've used a lot of the apps up but not all will have a look at some of the others too

a couple of the other for the list that I find usefull

ConvertMe (Beta) – unit conversion app
    IOSafe – Password store

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies.

I've flashed a new firmware ROM & radio rom onto it & seems to have helped as expected.
    HTC Sync is CACK, however! On 3 PCs, it only works on 1. not impressed, so have taken the opportunity to give up having to connect the phone to the PC to do MS Outlook things, and doing it all through my google account instead.
    Annoying not being able to use the full-size keyboard, but i'll live with it til they sort it out…

Some of these apps are great! 😀
    Starting to make the choice worth it, instead of getting something more basic. 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

Got a link to the firmware update?

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

Locale is brilliant.

Basically lets you change the system settings based on parameters.

So for example, I set it between 9am-5pm monday to friday to go on silent, for work, also switches wifi off etc.

Does the same thing at bed time (so email don't wake me up).

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

RD – I used the 2nd & 3rd 'pinned' threads from the top of the page here;
    http://android.modaco.com/category/409/htc-hero-hero-modaco-com/

I went with the .zip file that has the new firmware rom (NOT rooted) & new radio rom combined. Worked a treat for me.

I put My Tracks on today, didn't get a chance to use it on the bike but looks impressive for a freebie!

lowey

This is driving me mad. I cant find anywhere a direct download for beebplayer!! I must be missing something obvious.

Can someone point me at it please ???

Thanks.

nickname
    Free Member

Just found this today, http://www.endomondo.com

I guess it's like MyTracks, the website looks pretty snazzy though.

Otherstuff I use

Bloo – Facebook stuff
    A Online Radio – Streaming shoutcast/mp3 stuff for music
    UK National Rail – Lookup train times and the like
    Meebo – MSN chat and other protocols
    Top – Show a process list of whats running. If an app looks broken or is taking up high CPU, I might kill it with 'TasKiller', but rarely bother using this now.

I also use a few widgets to quickly enable/disable gps,wifi,mobile-internet.

My favourite app out of all of these is Maverick. It's a mapping app but you can interchange between google/bing/open-street map. It also has a cool indicator to tell you which direction you're facing (afaik google maps doesn't, so you have to find landmarks or street-names to you get your orientation).

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

lowey You don't need a direct download for beebplayer, you get it from the android market – well I did, has it been removed?

nickname I think they have got a compass on google maps, i'm sure i've seen it. Will check out maverick though, cheers.

lowey

lowey You don't need a direct download for beebplayer, you get it from the android market – well I did, has it been removed?

Cheers Dave, I am no going to display breathtaking ignorance…

Whats andriod market ? and How do i get things from it ?

Many thanks in advance.

spacemonkey

Whats andriod market ? and How do i get things from it ?

That's an odd question from someone who has an Android phone! The app is one of the default ones on one of your home screens (a green and white bag). If you can't see it then run it from your main list. AM is where you access 90%+ of Android apps, i.e. the equivalent of the Apple store.

BTW, Fring is pretty good now that it's working. Let's you do your Skype stuff including free calls (over wi-fi anyway).

IanMmmm
    Free Member

Oh – Last.fm is available for Android now, so add that to the list.

Also:

Google My Tracks – GPS GPX track recorder, good for cycling
    Google Goggles – image search
    Evernote

Have fun

lowey

That's an odd question from someone who has an Android phone! The app is one of the default ones on one of your home screens (a green and white bag)

Genius!! Thanks for that. I thought that that icon was a shortcut to stock market info lol…

I'm obviously far to thick to own this phone.

Cheers all.

wors

bring it round tomorrow, i want a play, can upgrade next month.

IanMmmm
    Free Member

We need someone who works at Vodafone to tell us when OTA updates for Android 2.0 or 2.1 will come for the HTC Magic! I wonder if we have a Vodafone employee or two on here?

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Well the Hero's getting it in March apparently, so hopefully sometime around then, if they're actually doing the upgrade for it?

I quite like Beebplayer, works pretty damn well.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘HTC Hero – apps recommdations?’ is closed to new replies.