Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • How's Drumlanrig at the moment?
  • 2tyred

Heading down from Glasgow, just wondering if anyone’s been in the last week or so? Snow and ice all gone?

Cheers!

doubledunter
    Free Member

I would imagine it would be clear, Drumlanrig was one of the few places that was unaffected by snow .. 😉

banginon

It’s all riding very well, especially if it’s frosty.

‘Mini Me’ the descent from Farthingbank down to the tarmac road crossing has suffered from bad frost lift (as it’s quite clay based) and is pretty sloppy. Hopefully we’ll be rebuilding that section before easter so don’t worry about riding it.

I’ll be surveying it with a mind to building blue grade trail of a more ‘populist’ bermy swoopy “stanesy” style than your usual gnarly rootfest.

Any comments either way would be useful.

2tyred

Hey Rik, was down on Friday but you were shut. It rode brilliantly IMO, had a great time. One of those beautifully still and silent days with just birdsong and hint of snow.

Don’t go changing any gnarly rootfest, that’s what you do best! The bermy bits up at the top where the trees have been cleared (can’t remember the name and don’t have a map to hand) are ace because you can’t just rely on gravity, you need to pump through that section and look well ahead. I love that sort of thing.

Some ‘populist’ blue-ish stuff probably would probably see more visitors IMO – Mrs Tyred for instance can ride the red graded stuff OK but not fast, and sees no pleasure in tackling roots and picking her way through things, and I doubt she’s the only rider to feel like that.

banginon

Cheers 2tyred. Yep I’m with you re Mrs Tyred….. Mrs Bangin On is much the same.

Long term we’re planning a completely new stacked/mingled blue/green route which will be hugely flowey!

But for this year with hardly any budget to play with I’m thinking that we could rebuild the ‘most’ open and flowey section but make it more so. It’s peice of trail is shared with the blue but to be honest it’s too narrow for blue spec; so the plan is to sort out the width and the flow and make it really swoopyand great fun.

balfa
    Free Member

Good to hear there are more trails on the way. I love whats there at the moment and whilst I’d love to see more black and red stuff, I definitely think you’ll benefit more from something more staney. If I’m taking folk out that are newish to mountain biking (and likely to be hiring bikes) I probably wouldn’t take them to Drumlanrig as it is to avoid any disasters in the roots. Keep up the good work!

legend
    Free Member

Run, we were down doing the red on Saturday and it was all running really well. Can’t think of anything that needed fixing! Miss Legend loves the roots, so expect a stern talking to if any go missing 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘How's Drumlanrig at the moment?’ is closed to new replies.