Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • How to switch off an icelandic volcano.
  • project
    Free Member

Seems as if all the clever people, and the politicians are stuck on how to switch it off or just kill the smoke.

So because Singletrackie forumities are clever and always have an answer,what ideas that are feasable to put it out,switch it off.

At the moment its competing for hot air with the politicians.

Discuss.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Talkemada
    Free Member

😯

alwyn
    Free Member

It wants a large human sacrifice.

rs
    Free Member

we need Team America… F… yeah!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think I saw Superman do it once.

But I can't remember how he did it.

trout
    Free Member

then chuck in Simons fat women from the other thread she should block the hole

project
    Free Member

Brains and Thunderbird 2, would sort it.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I've got a spare can of expanding foam here, worth a go innit

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Hugh! Pugh! Barney McGrew! Cuthbert! Dibble! Grubb!

bassspine
    Free Member

Guybrush Threepwood made the volcano god angry by sacrificing a block of nacho cheese to it.

Strangelove
    Free Member

A damp tea towel

or is that chip pans. I forget

epicyclo

Fill the hole with environmentalists who think human output is more significant than what nature can produce?

aracer
    Free Member

Send in Red Adair

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

A bigger glacier?

shermer75
    Free Member

A whole bunch of Stan's sticky white stuff….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A whole bunch of Stan's sticky white stuff….

That should sort it.

luked2
    Free Member

Turns out it was all a mistake anyway. The Met Office just had a theory about how the ash might spread. Which just wasn't as accurate as one might have hoped for.

So we can all go back to buzzing around in jet aircraft again now.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Get Bjork to sing to it…. won't be able to stand that for long!

CountZero

A very large Alka-Seltzer?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

CFH, I'm going to see my lawyer about that, & I think Stan's hold the copyright…

mogrim

Virgins, tie 'em up and chuck 'em in.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Fill the hole with environmentalists who think human output is more significant than what nature can produce?

What like volcanologists?
    http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/2010/planes-or-volcano/

Perhaps fill it with anti-environmentalist nutters who think that nothing we do has any impact on the world. Probably the same blindly short termist pro-business types who were fighting the good fight on behalf of the tobacco companies before they lost that one, or fighting against pollution controls on factories, before we found all the dead / mutated fish etc.

Joe

samuri
    Free Member

What like volcanologists?

There was a brilliant chap on the radio the other day talking about this.
    He was introduced as a Volcanologist but he corrected the interviewer and pointed out he was a geologist who knew about volcanoes. The interview continued and the chap was asked just how long he thought the volcano would continue erupting for.

He had a bit of a think and said
    "Probably only for a short while………..bearing in mind, I'm a geologist"

Which I thought was a great joke (i.e. geologists talk in thousands of years rather than days) but I think the interviewer missed it. Perhaps it wasn't that funny.

ex-pat
    Free Member

The problem isn't the volcano as such, it's the ash cloud. So all we need is a whole bunch of fans to blow it off course.
    And, given that the jet engine is in basic fact a fan, surely all we need to do is fly lots of aircraft through it in the same direction and all's sorted – say an approach flight path.
    Sure a few aircraft may peg out, but the greater good will be served and what's more there'll be interesting news for weeks, big aircraft crashes are always interesting…

samuri
    Free Member

it's the ash cloud

The problem is the ice in the ash.

GrahamS

Fill the hole with environmentalists who think
    human output is more significant than what
    nature can produce

"Our studies show that globally, volcanoes on land and under the sea release a total of about 200 million tonnes of CO2.

… while 200 million tonnes of CO2 is large, the global fossil fuel CO2 emissions for 2003 tipped the scales at 26.8 billion tonnes. Thus, not only does volcanic CO2 not dwarf that of human activity, it actually comprises less than 1 percent of that value."

— Source: http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/volcanowatch/2007/07_02_15.html

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The problem is the ice in the ash.

Does smoke on the water figure in all of this ?

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Perhaps fill it with anti-environmentalist nutters who think that nothing we do has any impact on the world. Probably the same blindly short termist pro-business types who were fighting the good fight on behalf of the tobacco companies before they lost that one, or fighting against pollution controls on factories, before we found all the dead / mutated fish etc.

Joe

Nothing to do with if I think humans are causing climate change or not (I happen to think they are), but it really annoys me when people do this. The estimate that they had was out by a massive amount, and it was revised when the Icelandic volcanoligist said the output was "between 150,000 and 300,000". So, what figure do you use for your graph? Surely 225000 would be the best? No, 150,000 so air travel looks much worse in comparison.

Give people the correct and unbiased information, and then let them make a decision based on it. If people are going to be convinced of the existance of climate change, this sort of thing and the glacier debacle are what stand in the way to some extent.

skidartist
    Free Member

Perhaps fill it with anti-environmentalist nutters who think that nothing we do has any impact on the world.

Problem is you'll never find enough of them

BoardinBob

grahamh
    Free Member

No one has suggested:- wee in its shoes 😆

Notter
    Free Member

Has anyone called Chuck Norris? He'd show that volcano who's boss…..

beamers

It can fix pretty much everything else.

epicyclo

So basically we need just one more volcano erupting to equal European CO2 pollution?

Anyone got the figures on how much aero fuel is consumed each day? There should be some other interesting by-products 🙂

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

according to religious leaders in america its due to women wearing short skirts and being promiscuous so depending on your of view its yashm,ak time and no make up or never mind its a small price to pay

votchy
    Free Member

So, all the flights are cancelled and the temperatures rise, surely just a coincidence…..but wait, what happened when all the flights were cancelled following 9/11,m that's right, we had several hot sunny days, one can only assume from this then that flying planes is preventing climate change 😀

As for putting out the volcano, surely all the CO2 we produce should do that 😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

Could we not just put on of those big marque tents over the top of it so that the ash doesn't blow away?
    I think lidl have a deal on them at the moment.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

That graphic is annoying me. From the same site, this is just as relevant:

The reality is more likely in the middle somewhere.

jon1973
    Free Member

How to switch off a Volcano?

I think the answer is obvious;

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘How to switch off an icelandic volcano.’ is closed to new replies.