Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • How often do your brakes need bleeding?
  • audiophile
    Free Member

My Deores (595s) need doing a least once every three months and after chats with others at trails it seems rather a lot. I ride about 150-400 miles a month depending on season and enthusiasm. Thoughts anyone?

glenh
    Free Member

Haven’t bled my XTs or maguras since installing them, 2 and 3 years respectively.

kharim
    Free Member

I think it must depend on the brand- my maguras I think are guaranteed not to require this for 5 years. Don’t quote me on that one as I’ve never needed to check this out and I have had them for about that length of time.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Juicy 7’s are still as they were when installed in 2008 ish

darrell
    Free Member

set of juicy 7’s from 2006 -never been bled and still fine
    juicy 5’s from 2007 – err never been……
    juicy 7’s from 2009 – never etc

anything to do with Hayes – frakkin sh1te and constantly needed

Onzadog
    Free Member

In theory, DOT fluid needs doing more often than mineral. I do my hope brakes every spring just because. If you need to do shimano that often, you may have other issues.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Hope mono M4’s. Once a year normally when I swap frames. They don’t need doing but I am sad like that. 🙁

audiophile
    Free Member

Does seem like I’m doing this far too often. Oh well, they were next on the upgrade list anyway.

kimbers

i bleed my hopes once a year

just because, they dont necessarily need it

Onzadog
    Free Member

Seems hope brakes are run by incurable tinkerers.

druidh
    Free Member

You’re supposed to bleed them now? I think my oldest Deores are around 5 years old and they’ve never been done.

surazal
    Free Member

Deores – bled once in 5 years, starting to feel a bit spongey so due again I think.

ahwiles
    Free Member

it sounds like there’s something wrong with your brakes.

the deore brakes on my commuter pre-date written history, and they’ve never been bled…

_tom_
    Free Member

I think I did my Juicy 5s around July-August last year. And a right pain in the arse it was as well.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

You’re supposed to bleed them now? I think my oldest Deores are around 5 years old and they’ve never been done

Deores – bled once in 5 years, starting to feel a bit spongey so due again I think

it sounds like there’s something wrong with your brakes.

Plus one. ( I cant do the plus sign on my keyboard?)

pitduck
    Free Member

never done deores since 2002 still sharp and sweet 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You should bleed brakes thru with fresh fluid every year. more important with Dot fluid but applies to any brake. I do my hopes annually

Annually sounds a bit excessive.
    I’ve replaced a couple of pipes on the front of my Land Rover, but as far as I’m aware, the fluid in the rear half of the dual circuit system has been there for over 20 years.
    I suppose that’s the one advantage of drum brakes. By the time the fluid gets hot enough to boil any water in it, the linings will have caught fire anyway. 😀

Back to bikes…
    My Hopes have got a bellows type diaphragm under the reservoir cap.
    There is no contact between the fluid and atmosphere, therefore the fluid can’t absorb water. As long as they still work, and they do, I can’t see any point in bleeding them, so I haven’t.

user-removed
    Free Member

Juicy 7s never worked properly out of the box. Problem compounded by taking bike to LBS for bleeding – happens to be Halfords. The ‘mechanic’ managed to; a) destroy the two-stage braking action on the levers, and b) not bleed the brakes.

Still unable to rectify the lever problem but bought an ebay kit and brakes are now rock solid. Haven’t been near them for over a year now – as my dad says, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

coffeeking
    Free Member

If your discs never sizzle when you splash through a puddle, almost never. If you’re planning alpine descents and you really USE your brakes, 1-2 years should see you fit. 2 reasons to bleed them, other than leaks…
    1) to remove swarf/wear particles from the fluid that accumulate over time
    2) to replace the fluids that have dropped their boiling point over time by absorbing moisture.

Hence if you’re not a heavy braker you rarely need to worry about either as even the wet boiling point of DOT4 is above what most peoples pad surfaces ever see, let alone the back of the piston.

dyna-ti

Considering the seals on Shimano calipers arent replaceable thats excellent. 😀
    Whats your secret 😕 I’ve experienced saints and they’re seals dont much like wintery conditions 😕 .

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

20 year old fluid in your car brake is just stupid. You are asking for issues that are preventable. corrosion, seal failure and brake failure

In bicycles over time dust gets past the seals and tiny particles of swarf build up from wear. leaving old fluid in there will accelerate wear and that is without the issues of water absorption.

Basic preventative maintenance. It only take a few minutes and cost pennies. failure to do this is one of the reasons people have issues with disc brakes

Dancake
    Free Member

Ill probably do my Formula Oros next time I change the Pads (they have been fine for 2 years but not quite what they were)

druidh
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Basic preventative maintenance. It only take a few minutes and cost pennies. failure to do this is one of the reasons people have issues with non-Shimano disc brakes

FTFY

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

And shimano as well. You still get the swarf and dirt build up in the fluid ad it still degrades but at a slower rate.

Of course when your shimano does fail it is scrap. Why not prolong their life?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘How often do your brakes need bleeding?’ is closed to new replies.