Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • how much for a good merino base layer?
  • johnny_met
    Free Member

What should I expect to pay for a good quality long sleeve merino top? Any recommendations?

Ta

crikey
    Free Member

£10 TK Maxx.

Mind you, I think they're way over-rated…

bassspine
    Free Member

14.99 at Aldi a few weeks ago.

BeveledEdge
    Free Member

£35 endura baa baa

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

embers merino sell top merino wool tops.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I knit my own. Bit scratchy mind…

erbii
    Free Member

Smart-wool mate!

kimbers

i second the 15 quid aldi ones

matthewjb
    Free Member

I've got both the Endura and Howies ones. Both good. But the Endura one is significantly cheaper.

woffle
    Free Member

rapha have their long-sleeved ones on clearance at the moment for £40 and if you google you should be able to get another 10% off that…

(that said I've had a years+ use out of £15 unilqo merino and it's been fantastic)

HeatherBash
    Free Member

If you are feeling flush the Arcteryx Merino l/s top is very good – also comes with a handy chest zip pocket

RepacK
    Free Member

+1 Endura & Howies

Gary_M
    Free Member

I wouldn't 2nd rapha, got a couple of merino base layers and they're great.

woffle I'd be interested where you can get a current 10% code for rapha, last one I had was in June for a survery.

DaveyJohnston
    Free Member

Icebreaker cannot be beaten. You even get a link (BaaCode) to the actual sheep that produced the Merino wool.

kernowfornia

Got Howies – good quality heavy merino but too expensive (like the rest of Howies' stuff IMHO)

Finisterre do a very good one for £35 l/s + others:
    http://www.finisterreuk.com/technicalsurfapparel/mens/super-fine-merino-base-layer-p121-c37.html

plus they're a very cool company ethically. And they're just up the road from me.

Bream
    Free Member

Chocolate Fish for me, it's all about the environment you know, great customer service as well 😉 8)

chimptastic
    Free Member

Icebreaker for me. I know Blacks had a sale on them a while back, so may be worth checking out

DrJ

+1 for Icebreaker. Lovely and sheepy.

matt_outandabout

In my experience:
    Howies = good n comfy, but not hardwearing at all.
    Smartwool = really nice n soft, but not as wicking for some reason and outrageous price
    Patagonia = most comfy when dry or wet, hardwearing and chuffing expensive (unless in sale 🙂 I just ordered two more )

crikey
    Free Member

…or just buy a man-made base layer that works so much better than a soggy woolly jumper…

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

crikey : I always thought that but subjected an endura baa baa merino base layer to a pretty full on test this weekend. It was bone dry after 9 hours on Saturday and 6 and a half on Sunday. Well impressed, I hope it proves durable.

pjbarton
    Free Member

…or just buy a man-made base layer that works so much better than a soggy woolly jumper…

oh dear – never worn one then?!

it's probably not cool to say, but howies (expensive) ones are really nicely made, good fit, comfy.
    embers are good and super friendly too – i have a nice lightweight one of theirs

Dave
    Free Member

…or just buy a man-made base layer that works so much better than a soggy woolly jumper.

at holding smells?

crikey
    Free Member

What is it with this place?

Everytime I express an opinion I get the 'you haven't got one/tried it shite'!

Yes, I have got one, yes, I have used it, yes, it's not as good as a man-made base layer because it stays wet much longer, and no, it doesn't smell, but then neither do my man made base layers.

…and yes, merino base layers have the same kind of fanboys as steel frames and tubeless…….

Crivvens
    Free Member

it's not as good as a man-made base layer because it stays wet much longer, and no, it doesn't smell, but then neither do my man made base layers

Where've you been the last few years! Synthetics don't perform as well as the new merino stuff. The lightweight stuff dries quickly, and more importantly still keeps you warm even if it's wet. Even slightly damp synthetics chill you to the bone. And if your synthetics don't stink it's probablly because they've been treated with nasties like triclosan (carcinogenic). Give me natural merino any day. Plus there's the environmental considerations. Unlike synthetics it's renewable, sustainable, recyclable and biodegradable. Oh – and it looks and feels much, much better. I find the feel of synthetics downright unpleasant. If you don't want to try the new superfine merino gear, fine, but don't try to tell us that synthetics are in any way better. I've tried both and now wouldn't have a synthetic as a gift.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘how much for a good merino base layer?’ is closed to new replies.