Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • how long would it take to ride 17miles??
  • MrCrushrider
    Free Member

mixed terrain, some road – some moorland, one big climb and some undulations.

just wondering if i have enough time from when i finish work (4pm) to ride home, which is 17 mile etc… before it gets dark.

whats a reasonable time for a semi-fit person??

ta

Ben

BoardinBob

We’ll it’s not getting dark until just before 7pm so you should be able to do 17 miles in under 2.5 hours

colb
    Free Member

2 hours at an absolute max surely, especially if you have quite a bit of road, so well before dark

druidh
    Free Member

Smee could do it in 1.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

You should be able to ride it in two hours

Gary_M
    Free Member

Well under 2 hours I would have thought. It’s light untill almost 7pm now.

elaineanne
    Free Member

2 hours ….but if your slower than that (how about adding a light to your bike !!! ahem !!!

footstomper
    Free Member

Smee could do it in 1.

Druid, what exactly has this guy smee done to p-ss so many people off? just been on the chat forum and he seems to have got up a lot of peoples noses 😆

trailmonkey

Wow < 2 howaz = RAD speedz

druidh
    Free Member

footstomper – Member

Smee could do it in 1.

Druid, what exactly has this guy smee done to p-ss so many people off? just been on the chat forum and he seems to have got up a lot of peoples noses

Meh – it goes back a long way as Smee and in his previous incarnation as Glupton. Let’s just say he has an interesting personality which can, sometimes rub folk up the wrong way – something we can all be guilty of on occasion. My comment was meant to be humorous, but based upon his cycling abilities.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

he is just a bit of a t1t thats all, nowt bad

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

yep ive already got a good set of lights, just havent done this route before – and i just prefer riding in the daylight!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

whats the route?

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

the one you sent me mate, plus the extra bit from sheff city centre, finally got the commuter finsihed so its time to get crackin!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

I reckon 40 mins to fox house then 40 mins to Eyam and 20 mins from there

Rich
    Free Member

Easily do it before dark, unless the one big climb is over Snowdon.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

yeah but youre quicker than me Rob! i was thinking about the 2hr mark, im on a full rigid so i should be able to get some good speed up on the road bits

stevomcd
    Free Member

Rule of thumb (for off-road): 5kph uphill, 10kph on the flat, 15kph downhill.

MrTall
    Free Member

Won’t matter soon as the clocks go forward an hour in only 13 days. YAY. Light until 8 o’clock ish then. 🙂

RudeBoy
    Free Member

The same amount of time it would take to ride 27.36km…

Keva
    Free Member

Rule of thumb (for off-road): 5kph uphill, 10kph on the flat, 15kph downhill.

?? I reckopn that’s a bit slow.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I tend to ride an average of 9.5mph on most of my rides. Allowing for post work fatigue i think 2hrs should be plenty, even allowing for a puncture repair or mechanical trauma!

Xan
    Free Member

I think this is a hard thing to put a time to. I did 26 miles at the weekend. Took 4 hours in total with a 20 mins break for some grub. the first 13 took us 2.5 hours and the return 13 took just over an hour. On the first 13 there was a howling wind and even on a good bit of downhill we couldn’t get over 13mph. Think there are alot of things you need to take into account.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

I did a 14 mile ride, 3 weeks ago and it took just over 3 hours… But I am very unfit!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘how long would it take to ride 17miles??’ is closed to new replies.