Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • How good are On One Inbreds?
  • c_klein87

Permanently Single Speed now and I'm wanting to change my current S-works M5 frame but not sure if i'd be disappointed by a On One Inbred, as they weigh quite abit more, or will the ride quality be a lot better?thanks for the help

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

At £130 for a frame they are worth a try. Somebody will tell you they are over hyped piles of scaffolding but there are a lot of folks have them and love them.

ton

one of the best if not THE best vfm frames around……….ever.

Stoner
    Free Member

Compared to a spesh M5, its going to feel a bit more sluggish. But you'll last longer on it 🙂

For a happy medium, why not go for the scandal. Great compliance, weighs less than a gnat's fart.

tazzymtb

if you only going to ride singlespeed and want something light and awesome go for an endorfin, lovely frames. On-ones are great for twatting about on but they are chunky monkeys, even in singlespeed setup and every f*cker has one (so yes you may be dissapointed) Alternatively you could try something like a voodoo d-jab titanium slidey drop out singlespeed or try and find an original trek 69er singlespeed with the maverick duc 32 fork (mentally fast bike but difficult to get hold of one)

Hadge
    Free Member

Second what ton says. For the money you can't go wrong. End of.

simonk
    Free Member

I was apprehensive about getting my first one, but since then i have not looked back, great value, solidly built and fun, more important i like the geometry, it fits me really well

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Buy and try – if you don't like it you'll likely get £80 for it – only gonna lose £50.

And you may love it.

tazzymtb

Hadge- it depends on what "for the money" you're looking at, if you want cheap and cheerful singlesppeding for the massess, then yep absolutely top banana. If however you are comming from an light weight s-works m5 frame then an on-one may feel decidely pooh. I love my on-one, but compared to my other slinky single speed it's a wee bit bland.

c_klein87

I was leaning towards the scandal as it should be similar to the s-works, as similar weight and material. Though do hear good things about inbreds. Don't have the most cash in the world so 200ish is my limit

tazzymtb

they have a new swoppy drop-out titanium xc frame on the way as well so that may be worth a look!

Northwind

Scandal depends on what sort of fork you want in it, I had a geared scandal and at 100-110mm it was very good… But it didn't work so well above that.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I'm thinking of replacing my recently knicked SS with a scandal. I wouldn't want to run the 456 I have as a singlespeed but thats personal preference. If I've only got one gear I want the bike to be pretty light.

c_klein87

I was planning on using my float 120's as there quite short, same length as old pace rc39's and i run them with alot of sag.

Del

i run two inbreds with 130 revs without any probs at all. lovely. scandal is same geo.

Del

On-ones are great for twatting about on but they are chunky monkeys, even in singlespeed setup and every f*cker has one (so yes you may be dissapointed)

oh – everywhere on this forum. you'll probably only see one every six months in the real world.

tazzymtb

about 5 a week on cannock

tazzymtb

plus at least 3 every night ride with my mates because we use them as cheap winter single speed hack bikes, with everything from ridgid forks and V's through to fox 130 forks and woods kiss-off hub set ups, they are avery verstile frame, just don't expect lightweight finesse.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

The ride style and geoemtry more than make up for the fact that they're not mega light. Anyway – it's not supposed to be a featherweight race iron; they're absolutely unbeatable for the money and you're not putting much kit on it as it's a SS anyway.

I'm waiting for my new slot dropout frame to turn up so I can build the kit off the sliding dropout one onto it. For £135, it's about 3 times what a powder coat job on the old one would have cost, but then I'd have got the canti bosses taken off, and a few other things and it would have cost the same – so I'm more than quids in. Like dangerousbeans says – what have you got to lose if you hate it (and you won't) – £50? Worth a punt.

Swalsey
    Free Member

I wasn't fussed with mine, it was… adequate, although the price was spot on. It was rubbish with a rigid pace fork (corrected for 80mm), the geometry didn't like that.

Jerome
    Free Member

Try and get an 853 one.
    Post a wanted ad.

tiago
    Free Member

On-one invented the concept of disposable frames: "they are so cheap that you should buy two, if it breaks just buy another one".

-the powder coating job is rubbish
    -the tubing on my inbred 29er seems to be rolled and not drawn from a solid cylinder as it has a neat long crack along the top tube.

I will stay away from any more on-one frames despite the price because I value durability.

Cheap and cheerful indeed

bananaworld
    Free Member

Like many on here I've had my fair share of Inbreds in various forms but have ended up with none. They are super-cheap, aren't the lightest, damn ubiquitous and ride really nice, but for the same money or not-a-lot-more you can get a sexy old steel Kona/GT on eBay or through a WTD ad on here and SS it up.

firestarter
    Free Member

ive only ever seen 5 on ones . one was tons and the other 4 were mine 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

that said i really wish i still had my rig ;-(

epicsteve
    Free Member

Quite rare to see other On-One's up here in Edinburgh. I know there are a few about but I reckon I've only seen one of two others in all the time I've been riding in the Pentlands.

I've had two of the white geared Inbreds and now have one of the red slot drop-out ones. They're very versatile (I've used mine as both rigid and FS mountain bikes and also as a commuter/tourer) and ride really well. Ok they're a bit heavy bit excellent value at the current prices.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Ive been riding a geared inbred for past 4 years, with both rigid and various suspension forks. IMO they have good combination of been nice and cheap with sorted geometry that rides well, ideal combination really. OK, the finish is a bit poor but at the price you pay you cant complain. Great base to build a good value solid and functional bike with modest kit.

Just built up a 456, waiting on some suspension forks to finish it off, im hoping it is as enjoyable as my old one.

I think i have only seen about 4 other inbreds as well ever – two of which i spotted when in New Zealand!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘How good are On One Inbreds?’ is closed to new replies.