• This topic has 63 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • How far do you ride?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just out of interest?

I live about 7 miles ride from any decent trails (Swinley heading South, Pangbourne/Caversham heading North). So a ride is 15miles + whatever I actualy ride off road. Which tends to be limited to another 15 miles as I'm knackered otherwise. I can go further, but that requires flapjack 😀

No willy waving or "I once did 100miles of singletrack in a day" answers. And commuting/roadie biking doesn't count. Just on a weekly basis, how long is your average mountain bike ride and how often do you ride?

Me: 30 miles, twice a week.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

13 miles three times a week, if there's no surf, another 12-40 miles at the weekend (some on a road bike). Work from home but alternate a cycle (about 30% fully off road, the rest very hilly country lanes) before work with the wife. Run on "off" days.

the-muffin-man

Not enough!!!

Currently about 15 miles a week!

Partially my own fault though as I decided to rip our decking out a few weeks ago and build a patio so my weekends are currently taken up doing that.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

3 local rides a week so that 2 miles to the woods then 10 miles then 2 back

so 42 miles + whatever i get in at the weekend maybe another 15-25 on away trips

me..65ish a week

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Not enough.

Commute on the road (17miles each way) every day unless Im going to see Clients.(Not done any this week due to "manflu")

And then a long ride on either Sat or Sunday everything else permitting..

Really wanna try and get fit this year, and enjoy the summer..

tracknicko
    Free Member

try and get 100mi in each week. mixture of 2 rides in the weeknights, and a big road ride on a sunday.

on the other nights im up at the bmx track or sleeping.

– oh yeh and my commute is about 2 or 3 miles each way, though i try and ride over from hillsboro over crookes to the town centre every day (sheffield folk will understand the topography of that)

xc-steve
    Free Member

3 rides a week, each ride ranging from 18miles up to 40miles, an average week is probably about 75miles…

njee20
    Free Member

1 MTB ride a week, usually 35-50 miles.

mogrim

1 MTB ride a week, similar to njee20. And usually manage 3 or 4 spinning classes too.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Monday: 4.5hrs = 60 miles(some XC)
    Tonight: 3hrs = not sure, but it's an XC group ride.
    Tomorrow: Cannock Chase: 3hrs XC riding.
    Sunday:4hrs-ish = 56 miles
    some of this is my mtn bike on the road at 14mph.
    (training for my first solo 24hr @ the end of May)

epicsteve
    Free Member

I do an 8 mile commute a couple of times a week and something like 20-30 miles (off or on-road) at the weekend, so on average perhaps 30-50 miles in total per week.

njee20
    Free Member

From the OP

And commuting/roadie biking doesn't count.

Do people just not read that far down? 😉

GW
    Free Member

Couldn't honestly say (or care less TBH)

I have singletrack on my doorstep and can easily do a 2-3hr XC loop if I fancy it. Occasionally I'll go for a 3hr+ road ride, sometimes I'll just go out and mess around doing cutties on gravel tracks/yard on the farm or manuals on the road. or a quick blast on the BMX. I also 2 of the most popular trail centres and DH venues 40mins drive away (think I've only been DHing 4 or 5 times this yeasr tho and done 2 trail centre rides) I
    ride a bike most days, sometimes it's a proper ride sometimes I don't even pedal never mind count miles.

dst
    Free Member

15 to 20 miles off road at the weekend on the fierce hills around Peterborough!

try to commute on road twice per week – circa 12 mile round trip

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

ti29er – flipping eck!!
    None of my rides are commuting.

maxray
    Free Member

…was going to say the same thing..

I love the way people just cant resist adding in the coomute or road or spin classes.. 😀

tracknicko
    Free Member

got too excited about boasting about me big climb each day 🙁

MrKmkII
    Free Member

my route is about 24 miles, i do that roughly once a week, depending on work and studies. i want to cycle greater distances but i just don't have enough time to get my fitness up!

dst
    Free Member

damn

must read the question…………..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I am in the same sort of position as the OP – Pentlands 8-10 miles away ( depending on which climb) so any decent offroad route ends up a total ride of about 30+ miles. This afternoon I will be doing a flatland loop of around 25 miles.

I do 50 – 100 miles each week half and half on / off road.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Sadly none of mine is cummuting as I work from home.

Some of mine is simply to get time in the saddle and at least one ride is 100% road, and some is XC and road especially if the roads are busy, I take a detour or two – nice to havethe two options when you set out.

The rest is 100% XC.
    (styl lernin t reed)

radoggair
    Free Member

Mon nights – 3hrs
    Wed nights -3hrs
    fri nights – 4hrs ( club meet)
    Sat – 6 – 8 hrs ( training)
    Sun 6 – 8 hrs ( training )

Tues n Thurs r kept for road group so dont count (either does my commuting )

P.s. this is a load of old tosh 😛

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I also get around 15 miles in before I've really done anything. My closest place is Cannock, and I get there by train which means nearly 5 miles to the station in Birmingham then a couple more at the other end each way. Then it's usually 20-30 miles when I'm there, so usually 35-45 all up. Only do that once a week though, and lately I'm not even doing that 😥

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, I am also about 7 miles from the trails on the road, I quite like it, it's all uphill on the way, then do more off road on the way back and join up with the Downs link for a gentle spin home, or take the shorter road route. Gets the climb out of the way in a short, sharp fashion on the road, but means I can do more of the fun descending on the way back!

catnash
    Free Member

I dont count in miles on the mtb, just hours, usually 8-10 hours per week over 3 – 4 rides in Brechfa per week. Just got a road bike and I do have a computer and that shows 25 miles and average 13.5 mph around Hilly carmarthenshire.

oldgit
    Free Member

Surprisingly little, and I can't commute.
    I measure MTB rides in hours as opposed to miles.
    Generally I do a 100k on the road Sundays, sometimes 135k.
    Turbos twice a week.
    When I'm racing the milage drops right off
    Everyride though is a training ride.
    Though the other week I clocked up 500K of road training, but that was a last pre racing season push.

Dinger
    Free Member

13 miles twice a week but more in the summer

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Like to ride 20 miles XC or so when I get out, which currently is twice a week.

Luckily I have zero distance to the trail as my garden backs on to woods.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

20 – 30 mile loop in the Lakes at the weekends. Rest is all road miles as there are no off road trails on my doorstep. Beleive me, I've looked.

Forge_Master
    Free Member

so far this week:
    Mon-26
    Tue-26
    Wed-18
    Thur-26
    Total 96 miles, which is about average.

nickc

Anything from 18-50 miles once or twice a week.

Aidan
    Free Member

Off-road: 15-20 miles on Tuesday and Thursday nights, plus 100 miles on a weekend ride.

Training for the Tour Divide…

warpcow
    Free Member

I'm in pretty much the same boat as the OP. Just over 7 miles to get to the (best) trails, so the average ride is probably about 25miles for me. In summer I'll ride anywhere up to about 150-175 miles a week, but just now it's more like 50 + a daily commute 🙁

shortcut

Tuesdays – 2 hours 10 to 15 miles.
    Thursdays – 2 to 3 hours 10 to 20 ish miles.
    Saturdays – 4 to 8 hours – 20 to 40 miles sometimes but not often further.
    Sundays – if I can get away with it anything upto 30 ish miles depending on what is going on.

All usually off road on an MTB of some description.

Nick

Averaging 50 miles a week so far this year, up to 130 this week (80 on road, 50 off), will be 170 if I can get my arse out of bed and do another commute, have ridden every day for a week (for the first time this year).

Generally though I get in one reasonable lenght xc ride, 8 miles across fields and through woods to some decent trails, 90% off road, which totals 25-30 miles. A long way to the pub ride on a Tuesday night, 15-20 miles, then one, two or three commutes a week, 40-120 miles.

Keva
    Free Member

furthest is a 50miler in Wales. Usually around 25miles on a local w/end ride, that'll be going up to 25-35+miles from now. mid week is usually between 12-15miles.

Kev

thesurfbus
    Free Member

MTB Tuesday Night 2-3 hours and Road Sunday Morning 3-4 hours through the winter, in the summer I will try and get out one/two more times a week, and also commute 50 miles to work on a Friday.
    Its still never enough, and I am always the slowest from my group.

Harry_the_Spider

1 x commute + 1 x 2 hr MTB ride.

20 – 25 miles a week total.

miketually
    Free Member

Hamsterley is a 25 mile ride from home for me, so I do that on the road before a group ride, then back again. Only get to the group rides 5 or 6 times a year though.

Furthest in one go off-road is 103 miles.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Was actualy only interested in the mountainbiking bit to get an idea of how much use other peoples get. i.e. if people find shimano BB's last 8-12months, how many miles was that etc

Thurns out I'm distinctly average with my two, three hour rides a week.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘How far do you ride?’ is closed to new replies.