Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • How do you protect your phone when riding?
  • Taz

Generally I have just stuck it in a platic bag inside a pocket or camelbak. Generally just there in case of emergencies. However having broken / damaged 2 in about as many years wondered how others handle it?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

me too smashed 3 so far in past year.

now use a crystal case – cheap from market trader and a berghaus mobile phone holder from Cotswold then in pocket or camelbak as you so far no problems even with a few offs and occasional lie downs – works for me 😀

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Inside my lezyne pack there is a water proof and padded neoprene phone sleeve – very effective
    (Whole pack is waterproof inc. zips in fact)

richie_boy
    Free Member

dont take it….its perfect ride after ride that way

Trimix
    Free Member

There was a time, long, long ago, before we had mobile phones. Believe it or not people acutally went riding without them and still managed emergency situations.

devs
    Free Member

I keep mine cushioned against my nice soft thigh in my pocket. Never had a problem yet <touches wood>

billybob
    Free Member

i keep it in my pocket. Never broken one yet.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I divert my calls to my works phone and take that instead.

Dan67
    Free Member

I have mine either in my jersey pocket or camelbak. I havent broken it yet but it is pretty rugged really. Sony ericsson k700i

forge197
    Free Member

I use this http://www.crewsaver.co.uk/images/productimages/larger/ZZ_1171628741_drycase_small.jpg

But without the strap and just pop it in the camelbak for a smaller phone bit of foam in the top

djglover
    Free Member

take an old one??

glenncampbell

A nice and simple solution: wrap your phone (and MP3) player in cling film. Water doesn't get in and it is very cheap! (I don't answer the phone whilst out – only carry it for emergencies.) 🙂

nuke

Ages ago MBUK gave away a neoprene phone cover…suited my Sony phone perfectly and was small enough to go in the pocket on the leg of my cycle shorts.

oddjob
    Free Member

I fell off on the road onto a 3 day old iphone that I had from work. THankfully the damage was only superficial. I have been wondering about what to do though. I currently use a zip lock plastic bag that protects against the wet, but not a fall.
    I'd like somthing like a neoprene case with velcro or a zip on the top I suppose. Perhaps I'll try to make one…

simon_g

Sandwich bag and into the ipod pocket at the top of my camelbak. No problems so far.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

rimix – Member
    There was a time, long, long ago, before we had mobile phones. Believe it or not people acutally went riding without them and still managed emergency situations.

You are everything that is wrong with this forum. Why not answer the question or keep your gob shut?

Believe it or not, more people actually died on the fells/hills/mountains before the invention of portable communication.

richmars

paulrockliffe,
    I think you're a bit over the top here. The question is 'How do you protect your phone when riding'
    It's a perfectly valid answer to say 'Leave it at home' You may not agree but that doesn't mean it's wrong.

kiwijohn

My Macpac has a neoprene pocket for it. Zip lock bag as well if it's raining.
    & I have had to use it to get rescue for a downed rider.

AndyP
    Free Member

+1 for leave it at home. Besides, the cable from the socket isn't long enough to get much of a ride in if you do take it with you.

grumm
    Free Member

Were people just as patronising and unhelpful back then?

Personally I just stick mine in a pocket in my rucksack not wrapped up or anything, its been fine. Used to sometimes use a dry bag but not bothered for a while. Don't have that fancy a phone though.

AndyP
    Free Member

Believe it or not, more people actually died on the fells/hills/mountains before the invention of portable communication.

genius. More people died over a very long time than over a very short time. Bet nobody would have guessed that.

elaineanne
    Free Member

i have a Berhaus pocket phone holder thats clipped to the front of my camelbak .

crazy-legs

Wrapped in a plastic sandwich bag along with a £10 note then tucked into one of the little mesh pockets inside my Camelbak. No problems with it and I never answer it while I'm out riding.

Only time I've ever broken one was when it was in a jersey pocket, I was doing about 50mph on the road bike down a steep hill on the drops and the thing slid up my back and fell out the top of the pocket onto the road. Unsurprisingly the 50mph impact onto tarmac smashed the phone into 3 separate parts, it took me ages to find it all again!

avalanche
    Free Member

I have one of those samsung tough phones. Waterproof, shockproof etc. I read a review once about a dude who dropped his into a 4in deep puddle while on a call , retrieved it, shook it out and carried on talking. Mine gets treated with no respect and just keeps working. I have a crumpler neoprene pouch that rides on the waist strap of my camelbak where it attaches on the side.

Oggles
    Free Member

iPhone inside an Oakley glasses bag inside a plastic zip bag inside breast pocket of my jacket. This winning combo means I can never answer it by the time I've unwrapped it and removed my gloves, so don't let it interrupt my rides.

rOcKeTdOg

condom and a body cavity, simple but effective

rp16v
    Free Member

old phone with payg sim with £10 on it curentley looking for one of the old nokia shock/waterproof ones. usualy just pops in my bag.

Bunnyhop

Sandwich bag and then it slips into a little pocket, velcroed onto the front strap of my camelbak.
    Mostly put a 2-way radio in that though if we're on a big group ride.

brack
    Free Member

Twix wrapper

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

AndyP – Member

genius. More people died over a very long time than over a very short time. Bet nobody would have guessed that.

I meant normalised for distance riden over a period of time, but I thought that would be obvious. No doubt you realised that and also realise that taking a mobile with you means you're much less likely to die if you get into trouble in a remote area. But you thought you'd post anyway. Genius.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Also, the emergence of mobile phones lies fairly close to the middle of the 'life' of Mountain Biking. But well done anyway.

DWH
    Free Member

Now at last I understand why most of the MTB'ers I see are carrying rucksacks that wouldn't look out of place on the back of a Royal Marine. I thought they were full of tools, clothing and food but obviously it's just layers of padding and waterproofing with a tiny little 'phone nestled safely in the centre.

Gary_C

Don't bother protecting mine,just sling it in the Camelbak,its a company phone,so if it breaks,i'll just get a replacement.

Also note a few replies above where the phone is either in a pocket or in a pouch fitted to a Camelbak strap…..if you're wearing a Camelbak,surely it makes sense to put it in there.Or are you the sad types that just have to answer the phone if it rings when out on a ride?

epicyclo

Got a cheap phone, just goes in my pocket and gets damp. Never wet.

mtbmaff
    Free Member

I use one of those small neoprene camera bags by Crumpler [John Thursday 55] fixed to my Camelbak shoulder strap, cost about £8 from T K Maxx.

I think Asda were advertising a Samsung mobile for £10 this week with £5 air time included.

Sandwich

Exped XXS dry bag to hold phone and wallet.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Nappy bag, buried in the camelbak.

simondbarnes

I leave mine at home

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

sandwich bag

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘How do you protect your phone when riding?’ is closed to new replies.