Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How do you get a 5 year old off stabilisers?
  • brooess
    Free Member

My mate’s kid. It’s on my list of tasks in return for a week’s B&B when I go out to visit him next week.

I was thinking, take off the stabilisers, pedals, cranks and chain and get him to scoot along like a balance bike

Any other thoughts?

Cheers

bassspine
    Free Member

first thing is scoot with alternate legs. second stage is ‘do kangaroo legs’ both at the same time. Then, when they’re ‘gliding’ bring in the pedals, just start with one push on one pedal for a while, then add the other.

(Cycle instructor here and I’ve taught best part of a hundred children and adults to ride like this)

NikNak7890
    Free Member

I had a post all lined up, but you’ve just itterated almost word for word; scooting “sans pedals” is the way to go 🙂

Simon

Take the stabilisers off and run along behind them holding the saddle until they get the hang of it. HTH

carlosg
    Free Member

bassspine +1

It works , used this method with my lad just before he was 5.

They all know how to pedal a bike it’s the balance bit that needs learning , stabilisers just hold them back.

wors

Find a big hill and push him down it. Failing that, what basspine said 😉

br
    Free Member

I just took them off.

Within 2 mins he was circling the drive.

adscatt
    Free Member

I did it by taking the stabilisers off, holding the saddle & getting her to set off on her own, she soon learnt how to balance, half pedal stroke @ a time until she could do a run on her own,didn’t take long, find something they feel confident with & work on it.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

People need to give kids more credit than they do. Children are immensely capable. With both of my boys it was a case of simply taking the stabilisers off and being disappointed that they needed no further input.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

rewind time and never use them 8)

balance bikes are the future. My girl was riding with pedals on her 4th birthday. Stabilisers are a good example of bad design.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

this helps…..must be good as we sell loads!
    http://www.cycle-world.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b44s226p1504

richmars

Don’t fit them in the first place. Worked here.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘How do you get a 5 year old off stabilisers?’ is closed to new replies.