Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • how do i stop my sink leaking!!
  • renton
    Free Member

right ive got this corner sink fitted in my downstairs toilet nd i can for the life of me stop the thing leaking!!

it leaks from around the threads on the waste bit that fits to the sink.

ive had it apart now 3 times and tried various ways of sealing it, from sealant to plumbers mate etc.

they stop it for a bit but always start laking again over time!

ive also noticed that no matter how tight i do up the nut that hold it t the sink there is always so movement on it!!

any ideas

cheers

steve

grievoustim
    Free Member

ptfe tape? (i think thats what its called)

a very thin tape that kind of wraps round the threads, meaning it should seal up tighter

dooosuk
    Free Member

Buy a new waste bit and fit that to your existing sink…they're only a few quid.

jahwomble
    Free Member

new waste, and fit using ptfe tape round threads

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah, new bits from B&Q. Dirt cheap. 🙂

renton
    Free Member

sorry forgot to say it was new when i fitted the new sink and from b&q !!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Have you tightened up the nut that holds the waste into the baisin (as opposed to the nut that holds the waste to the pipe) and that it it dead straight before you tighten it. If there is any movement at all, as doosuk said, get a new waste

renton
    Free Member

yep ive tightened the pipe to the sink but the water is still coming down the threads on said pipe!

i seem to remember trying another one too and that moved around quite a lot after doing it up as tight as i could??

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

As above, use PTFE tape. And don't over-tighten either.

Ohh, and it is a basin and NOT a sink.

😉

renton
    Free Member

will try and use ptfe tape on it!!

if i dont tighten it up man tight then you can actually move the fitting around in the sink still??

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Sounds like something wasn't right when you bought it then (assuming it was ALL new).

Cheap as chips for plastic fittings, a bit more for chrome ones but Screwfix have them for about £12 IIRC.
    £10

mandog

Buy new waste. I find Boss Greenis better on the threads than PTFE tape.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If I understand correctly I have seen this before – is the threaded part on the waste reaching the end of its thread before tightening onto the sink? It either needs the threaded part cutting down to prevent it bottoming on the thread or a rubber wahser / spacer on it.

StuF

Have you got all the washers assembled in the correct order, on our kitchen sink my dad had put the washers in the wrong place and no matter how tight I had it it still leaked swapped the washers around a bit and then it sealed up no problem

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Good call from TJ. But it is B+Q so very likely to not work properly

renton
    Free Member

im not sure where you are coming from tj??

the nut goes alll the way up the threaded shaft no probs at all?

then the watter leaks between the nut and threads?

i cant see anyway of cutting anything down??

grantway
    Free Member

Try some Plumbers mate between the metal waste flange
    that lays flat to the bottom of your sink.

But you may have over tightened it if so get a new waste/trap
    as you'll find the thread stripped.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its not the type of waste I was thinking of. It still might be bottoming out but you can't cut the thread down only pack the joint out

Once the nut is tightened can the waste be moved on the sink? If so you need another rubber or plastic washer in the joint

Water should not get to the threads at all

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Water can leak from under the flange inside the sink. Then down through the threads, so that it appears to be coming from where the waste joins in. Put some sealant under the flange, and make sure the big nut is tight.

Last one I put in I sealed with ordinary silicone sealant. Still holds water.

B&Q quality might have something to do with it.

renton
    Free Member

cheers all

ive managed to get all of the old plumbers mate of it and give the fittig a good clean up

then ive put it all back together and done the nut up with a pair of molgrips and fingers crossed its not leaking!!

i think it was a case of the plumbers mate id put on the threads stopping me from getting it tight enough

fingers crossed eh!!

renton
    Free Member

scrap that its leaking already!!
    this time its coming from between the bottom of the sink and the washer above the nut which you do up to secure it to the sink!!!

might try it with some sealant on the mating surfaces and see if that helps.

failing that im going to a lump hammer to the sink and smash the shit out of it!!!!!!!!!!!!

commierider
    Free Member

you need to bed the top of the waste where it meets the basin onto some silicone sealant, then tighten.

grantway
    Free Member

Renton try AwkWhite instead of Plumbers mate its mainly
    used for Gas fitting but the reason I say use this
    is because it does not dry and I mainly use this when
    installing kitchen sinks.
    But your problem may just need new washers between
    your waste and sink

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘how do i stop my sink leaking!!’ is closed to new replies.