Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How crappy can my year be…
  • Singletrackmonkey
    Free Member

First I get a hip injury that takes a few months to sort, then the wife has 2 minor strokes (well recovered now) and now i've got an annoying hernia that means 3 – 4 months off the bike.

Aaaaaaaggggggghhhhhhh.

And the sky is blue and the trails are dry.

69er
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that. I've been off the bike since August so I know where you're coming from. Shit happens, you'll get over a hernia.

I'm going to two funerals for work colleagues next week (both under 40)which kind of puts it all into perspective. Enjoy your time in the sunshine while you can.

stevede
    Free Member

It's kind of tough trying to get your bike fix through forums and other people. Riding is something we tend to take for granted until its taken away for a while. I'm in the navy, spent the first 6 months of last year away so no riding then came back in the summer looking forward to making up for lost time. Then in august my 3 year old daughter was diagnosed with neuroblastoma (cancer) and we've spent most of our time in hospital since. Makes me really appreciate the rare opportunities i get to ride.
    All put into perspective for me really. Riding is important to me, a great release and a real passion but i'd give it up tomorrow for a well daughter.
    No time for feeling sorry for myself, just get on with it and using my downtime to save hard for my new five – perfect opportunity whilst i'm not riding regular enough to be breaking components every week!!!
    It is tough whilst the weather is good but lets get some positives in this thread, i'm sure we're depressed enough lol!

Singletrackmonkey
    Free Member

stevede, so sorry to hear about your daughter.

stevede
    Free Member

Cheers mate, she's doing good though, in remission and hoping to be finished treatment by october. Puts things into perspective, hope the other half is doing ok now. Oh and hope your hernia is sorted in time for the back end of summer – i've entered the exmoor explorer in august, just got to hope poppy stays well and my lack of training doesn't hurt me too much 😀
    Top tips to survive riding downtime –
    bike dvd's,
    ebay,
    stw classifieds and forum,
    Mags – singletrack,dirt,mbr.
    Make sure your bike is in tip top condition ready for your next ride.

Take it easy,
    Steve

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

It'll get better. You wife has recovered, your surgery will go well, you'll rest post op and get back on a bike feeling so glad to be riding again!

I've got a great understanding of what you're going through, last year stopped riding in Feb because of just generally feeling none stop shitty, eventually got diagnosed with a brain tumour in June, had surgery, got back on the bike gently in September, had repeat scan in december, tumour had recurred, more surgery in January this year, just finishing 6 weeks radiotherapy now, hope to be back on the bike gently in a couple of weeks time (again).

SteveD, hope all goes well mate, world of difference between an old ugly fücker like me and a little tot and how people cope & react. Agree with your tips on surviving time off the bike as well!

Then in august my 3 year old daughter was diagnosed with neuroblastoma (cancer) and we've spent most of our time in hospital since.

Been there myself mate a few years back. Tough times, I took great strength from the resilience my daughter displayed.

stevede
    Free Member

Underground resistance – It's amazing how tough kids are really. Highlight of my year so far was in jan post surgery getting poppy on her specialized hotwalk for the first time since we got it her back in august. Definately take strength from how she gets on with it, can't be anything but positive.
    missingfrontallobe – hope the radiotherapy does the trick mate and you get back hitting the trails very soon, poppy just had 3 weeks of it,knackered her out a bit! All the best mate.

Dylan08
    Free Member

the joys of getting old.

Singletrackmonkey
    Free Member

Guys, My heart felt thoughts go out to you all. Putting a post up like this brings home actually how lucky I am with only having a minor gripe that takes me off my bike ( that rhymes).

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

See, you're a poet and you didn't know it!

Radio for the last two weeks has been the most knackering thing ever, random fatigue episodes 3-4 times per day, yet I'm up and awake by 6.00am every single day, just can't help it, but the steroids might be causing that! Still, nearly done, just need to wait for follow up scans to hopefully tell me that the radiation has done its job – then maybe back to normal for a few months until the next follow up scan. Bless Poppy for putting up with it for three weeks, kids are amazingly resiliant aren't they?

Drac

Life deals some really shitty cards at times.

Off to see my Dad in moment he's been in hospital for just over 2 weeks now with cardiomyopathy, we nearly lost him several times but as he said "I'm not letting the bastard beat me" he didn't. He should have his pacemaker fitted on Monday after a delay due to infection and then we will get him home.

Stevede my thoughts to you, your daughter and family.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘How crappy can my year be…’ is closed to new replies.