• This topic has 21 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by j_me.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • How can I secure my shed?
  • jbig
    Free Member

In my new house I have the most secure shed possible. An old air raid shelter with 1ft thick brick walls and a reinforced concrete roof.
    The only problem is it doesn’t have a door!

Simple you’d think, but the doorway is tiny, only just big enough for a bike.
    This means I can’t use a door frame on it and can’t put secure bolts through the wall.
    So how can I put a door on that you can’t just unscrew from the outside?
    Any ideas??

wwaswas

attach door frame around outside of entrance so that the door is actually slightly bigger than the hole – impossible to kick in if you use a thick/metal door.

as for unscrewing the frame – there’s all sorts of security bolt options that would need angle grinding off.

If you’re really worried about peopel removing frame then atatch it to inside of the shelter (again with door bigger than opening) but be aware the door is more likely to be kicked in.

z1ppy

shear bolts of any use?
    Attach the frame to the outside wall (so as not to tighten up the door way) and then secure the frame with shearbolts?

EDIT: BTW fantastic sounding bike shed! (when secured with a door)

crispedwheel
    Free Member

That sounds like my type of bike shed. Fantastic.

cranberry
    Free Member

To secure your shed I would suggest investing in a Mk. I Muddydwarf.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

^^^ LOL ^^^

jbig
    Free Member

I think I’m definitely going to have to make the door bigger than the opening. An external frame with a heavy/metal door might be the way to go (wife won’t be happy though, they’re not very ‘pretty’!)

Shear bolts aren’t really an option unfortunately as its not practical to get through to the other side to put a nut on.

Cheers

cranberry
    Free Member

jbig – it might be useful to post up some pics of the door so that people have a better idea of what might/might not work.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

What about the metal door as above but with a shiplap timber cladding. Double benefit of keeping the wife happy as it will look like a twee potting shed door and will also break the foot of anyone thinking they can just go ahead and kick it in.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Make the door bigger first?

Cougar

wife won’t be happy though, they’re not very ‘pretty’!

There’s this modern invention, she might not of heard if it; it’s called “paint.”

jbig
    Free Member

At work at the moment so can’t post pics till later.

OHH – No way am I tackling it with tools. It took two builders a week to knock our neighbour’s shelter down! It shows those component manufacturers the real meaning of ‘Bombproof’ 🙂

z1ppy

I was thinking using the shear bolts with expanding fitting, as per these:
    http://www.securityfastenersandfixings.co.uk/Info/security-construction-fixings-9.aspx
    (rather than drilling all the way through)
    Though they do mention “non-removable” fixing too on that page..

jbig
    Free Member

z1 – Interesting!

valleydaddy
    Free Member

what about a sliding door?

Not sure on the size of the shelter but maybe a thought??

http://www.ehow.com/how_5031834_make-sliding-shed-door.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_4425129_make-metal-shed-door.html

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Binners bust the lock off ours then couldn’t fix it so its got the wheelie bin with his empties in it (which won’t be moved its so heavy) so I suggest just drink more then pop your recycle bin in front….

Taff
    Free Member

Depending on what it looks like, use security fixings into tee-hinges. If that doesn’t allow because of bolt heads then have some tee-hinges welded to angle wich can be fixed to the corner of the concrete.

As for door how about a standard ledged and braced door with ply backing for added security.

midlifecrashes

Steel roller shutter? Can be bolted entirely to the outside wall so you can use a standard width door to save ££. All the bolt heads etc on the inside.

Edit: some on Ebay at the minute for cheapness.(£150 buy it now)

lcj

The description of your bike shed sounds familiar.

Does “nr. Abbottabad” feature in your address, and has your shed only recently become unoccupied?

DickBarton

Move the shed inside your house…that way they have to break into your house to then break into the shed…

wwaswas

what midlife crashes says makes sense – eithe routside or inside the hole – a roller shutter will be great.

You could paint it to look like bricks if you wanted.

j_me
    Free Member

Narrower bars.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘How can I secure my shed?’ is closed to new replies.