Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Houston, Texas – any riding?
  • rigiddaddy

Possibly facing a work move to Houston, Texas. Seems to be good biking a few hours away towards Austin but locally there seems to be very little.

Concerned that this move would mean the end of midweek off-road riding. There is a Houston based mtb club but the local rides seem to only be around city parks – flat and dull.

Long shot I know but thought there may be someone on here who might know what there is / is not.

Thanks.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Have you been to houston before ?

From what i could see and gather from speaking to colleagues the parks were as good as it got till you traveled a fair bit

sonofapitch
    Free Member

9th street trails go watch the bmx dudes shred

blades2000
    Free Member

I think there is some riding in memorial park near the galleria. Though houston is very flat.

fanatic278
    Free Member

No there isn’t.

I moved here a year ago. I still lurk on STW to remind myself what I’m missin 🙁

And I don’t hold out too much hope for Austin. I went for a long weekend in ‘hill country’ for some road biking and found it anything other than hilly. Just a bit lumpy. If you’re coming from Aberdeenshire then do what I did and pick a new sport to avoid disappointment.

fanatic278
    Free Member

P.S. I must confess that I haven’t tried to go mountain biking here. The locals tell me that Memorial Park is actually quite technical. But in reality I know it isn’t the sort of biking I enjoy so am not giving it a try so as to avoid disappointment. Maybe it’s the sort of biking that you might enjoy…… judging by your username?

london_lady
    Free Member

You’ll be lucky. There are parks but they are flat and you will have to drive there – people drive to the park to go running. Sorry to be negative but I hate Houston – the whole driving culture there really is depressing – you are nothing if you dont have a car. At least there is some good modern art to be seen – if you have a car to get to it! As a friend of mine who lives there said “the only people who walk are tramps and Brits”.

samuri
    Free Member

If it’s anything like Dallas then cycling is positively frowned upon.

And as above, lots of Texas is flat.

rigiddaddy

Oh dear – it’s as I suspected.

So I suppose if I try and commute by by bike I will either be killed or locked up for being a social outcast.

Thanks for info.

Very depressed now.

fanatic278
    Free Member

…… But I guess life isn’t all about cycling and my time in Houston has been a massive adventure.

You can commute to work on bike by the way. I do it once a week for 14 miles through parks. You just need to live and work in the right places. NOT ON THE ROADS THOUGH 😯

hels
    Free Member

Isn’t Lance Armstrong from Texas ? (I know, so are 24 million other people) He must have trained somewhere, is quite useful on an MTB.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Lance is from austin mind hels

slimraybob
    Free Member

I lived in Houston for a few years and loved every minute, like Fanatic 278 says it is a massive adventure.
    I wouldn’t bother with a mountain bike but you could stick some miles in on a road bike.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Ben Spies moto gp rider has a bike racing team based there check out :

Home

Im sure hell let ya tag along!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Houston, Texas – any riding?’ is closed to new replies.