Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • House alarms
  • alanf
    Free Member

Anyone in the know on house alarms?

Having done a fair amount of work inside my property I’m not too keen on having wires trailing all over the place and holes drilling through walls etc but have heard that the wireless systems are not that reliable.

Does anyone have any experience on which systems are ‘best’ to go for?

antigee

Bump – you need one of the sparkies off here – used to be that wireless alarms weren’t to British Standard for alarm systems and so Insurance Co’s that insisted on an alarm to maintain or reduce price of cover wouldn’t accept but i’m talking years ago – things may well have moved on

We’ve got a wireless one works fine but i’ve never claimed a discount on insurance – but you do need a neighbour that’ll come round if does go off – my mate up the road is handy!

street
    Free Member

I’ve been looking around for an alarm since I had my house broken into and my bike and car stolen. I’ve done a fair bit of reading now and I plan on getting the Scantronic i-On 16 system.

richc
    Free Member

I’ve got a Yale premium wireless one, and it is definately insurance approved by M&S as long as it serviced every 6 months (bloke changes the batteries, charges you £40 and gives you a certificate)

Works well, and is easy to install. You can have multiple sirens, PIR, pet friendly PIR’s door jam alarms (good for the shed/garage) and it calls a preset list of numbers when it goes off.

I am about to mod a siren, to include a sound bomb inside to finish mine off.

NB: Mine definately works, as my Dad set it off when popping into the house to go for a pee, whilst I was on holiday skiing. He was quite surprised when I called him and asked him if he was in the house and could he reset the alarm 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Anyone in the know on house alarms?

Yeah. They go off at random at 2am and keep me awake for 1/2 hour at a time. Everyone ignores them and they are an utter waste of money. Just like car alarms.

Just saying, like….. 🙂

richc
    Free Member

Yeah. They go off at random at 2am and keep me awake for 1/2 hour at a time. Everyone ignores them and they are an utter waste of money. Just like car alarms.

Thats why its good if they call you, as that way you know its going off and can do something about it.

Mine (and my sister’s and father now have the same type) have never gone off accidently, so seem like a good idea to me.

I got mine after some shits levered off a metal gate and kicked down my front door whilst I was on holiday for 10 days, and I came home to find the front door ajar, with no idea how long it was like that (best guess was at least 3 days).

Now at least I get a phone call, so someone can at worst secure the property and at best call the Police and catch them.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Mmmm, personally I’d rather not get the call while I was away, or risk getting false alarms.

But I would always have a house alarm, with Viper type contacts that go off when the kicking and battering starts, rather than 30 seconds after the door is actually opened.

And get a really loud siren, right on the legal dB limit or higher, and place it near where your bikes are locked.

Any obvious alarm is a deterent to some degree, as long as it isnt an obvious indication of something valuable.

And get a goose or two.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘House alarms’ is closed to new replies.