Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Hope Pro2 Evo rear hub weirdness
  • Jehosophat
    Free Member

Is it normal on a Pro2 Evo hub to be able to pull the cassette and freewheel off the hub if you give it a slight tug?

I was just fitting cassettes to a couple of new wheels made up with these hubs and on one of them the cassette, part the cassette fits too, and freewheel came out when I pulled the cassette fitting tool off the hub! The axle on this one is a bit bigger than on the other so it snags a bit on the tool. If you line it all up properly it pushes back on fine.

To see if this one was missing some parts or this is normal, I tried the other one, and with not much effort I pulled that cassette/freewheel off as well.

I appreciate that in use the QR will be holding this all together but this feels very, very wrong to me! I have a pair of Hope XC rear hubs, and an old non-disc Ti, and I have never noticed this before.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

normal.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Will do it on all hope hubs with varying amounts of force. Perfectly normal.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Jehosophat
    Free Member

Thanks for the quick replies, and thank god! I have been having a big mechanicals day (building up a winter hardtail among other things) and this would not have been a good end to an otherwise successful day if it meant they were knackered.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

just be careful the seal and the pawls areall back together properly

Jehosophat
    Free Member

Thanks – I am going to have to learn what “properly” is! After removing them there is a bit of (sprung) play, i.e. I can push the cassette back in a bit, when it is all back together.

Hope manual time.

coatesy
    Free Member

That’ll be the seal between the freehub and body not seated properly, probably need to remove the cassette to seat it into the hub properly.

oxym0r0n

I would get the cassette off and make sure the freewheel is back together properly before putting the cassette back on…

burnie
    Free Member

As others have said the force required to remove the freehub varies but you may not have clipped the small black ring around the freehub body back into place

Edit: Oops too slow 🙁 I will also add that you dont NEED the tool that hope recommend I usually use the back of a pencil, or a scrap of plastic, and just work my way around the seal.

Jehosophat
    Free Member

On one of them in particular I can’t get the cassette on and the tool off the hub without it coming off again, so is going to be tricky to sort the hub with the cassette not on it unless a different cassette removing tool might be a less tight fit. I’ll try another tool to see…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro2 Evo rear hub weirdness’ is closed to new replies.