Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • hope pro 2 servicing
  • chris_mbuk
    Free Member

wheres cheapest i can get my hope pro 2 free hub serviced? lots and lots of play and the cassette rattles and that’s prob why my bike is making an embarrassing ” touching saws grinding noise” lol

jonk

Hammer, sockets, new bearings and the hope service video on youtube is all you need!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

DIY is easy. Especially if its just the freehub not the wheel bearings

mattstreet

All you need to know is here: Cyclist No 1

DIY – ‘s easy – what’s the worst that can happen? 😀

Northwind

Just requires smashing with a hammer.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you are going to do it don’t forget to heat the freehub and hub in hot water and freeze the new bearings – it helps greatly

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Both times I’ve changed the bearings on my Pro II it’s been a shop job to get the old ones off.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

…Having been taken in by the oft toted ‘it’s sooo easy’ type-exuberance about changing Hope bearings on STW, I went haplessly ahead with the hammer and things.

All I’d say is, be careful. Getting them out is straight forward enough, I suppose, but getting them back in is where problems can arise. Use a correctly sized drift to get them back in again, not just something vaguely the right size. And, ideally, press the new bearings back in with a vice-type-contraption. A Black and Decker Workmate, or similar seems to do the trick really well. Study the ‘exploded’ diagrams on Hope’s website carefully too, beforehand so you don’t put something back the wrong way, or miss something out entirely

TJ’s advice about heating and cooling different bits is, quite frankly mental. Unless you have a work area with access to a very efficient freezer AND a hot saucepan nearby, and are very quick with your hands, handling hot-hot-hot things… you’ll simply find that the components, especially the aluminium freehub will find their way back to room temperature very quickly indeed… too fast to make much of a difference.

Alternatively, take it to your LBS and get all 5 bearings in the rear wheel changed if you don’t feel at all confident. (There’s no shame in this!). Afterall: a replacing a mangled freehub will be 55 quid and the new bearings themselves (if you mangle them too) will be 15-25 quid, depending..

Good luck! 🙂

br
    Free Member

Buy the Hope toolset and DIY.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

no eyed deer – I use the heating and cooling everytime I change a bearing and it makes a big difference. All you need is a kettle for the hot water and the steel bearings will stay cold a while – my workshop is next to the kitchen I must confess.

When I did my pr 2 freehub recently the old bearings came out with a couple of taps and the new ones went in with hand pressure with just a tap to seat them fully.

Its just a way of making it easier by expanding the alloy bits.

takisawa2

A smear of grease on them seems to get them back in nicely. Not sure if this will hasten my demise, but it helped.
    If you do the front, take care of the small lip as its easy damaged by a ham fisted ape. Like me.

Northwind

no_eyed_deer – Member

TJ’s advice about heating and cooling different bits is, quite frankly mental. Unless you have a work area with access to a very efficient freezer AND a hot saucepan nearby, and are very quick with your hands, handling hot-hot-hot things… you’ll simply find that the components, especially the aluminium freehub will find their way back to room temperature very quickly indeed… too fast to make much of a difference.

This is absolute nonsense. Why do you think you need a “very efficient freezer”? And exactly how hot do you keep your garage, that causes a lump of metal to return to room temperature so fast?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘hope pro 2 servicing’ is closed to new replies.