Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Hope pedals
  • letmetalktomark

I’m becoming a bit of a flat convert following the purchase of some plastic Nukeproof pedals.

Looking to add to the flat pedal collection, evening brining my MK1 V12s out of retirement, with some Hope F20s.

Reviews regarding the grip level seem mixed – some reporting too little grip.

I’m currently riding in some Vans and find the waffle sole a good match for pedal pins 🙂

So what are people’s real world experiences of the F20s?

scotroutes

My real world experience of Hope pedals is to look at them and think “HOW MUCH?????”

tomhoward

Mstomhoward likes hers, but does say the grip isn’t quite as ‘total’ as burgtec mk ivs, but they are purple, so that wins apparently.

Got them in a sale so was a bit more palatable for (my) wallet

submarined
    Free Member

Waffle soles and mk1 v12s? Are you me from the years 1998-2016? 😀

Seriously, sterling combo. But last year I changed to Freeriders and Nanos. It s one of those ‘how the hell have I been riding all these years and not had these?!’ moments. Genuine revelation.
    The Nanos are cheap and have taken some serious abuse. After over a year they’ve got 1 set of new bearings and a bent pin, and they’re good to go.
    It seems every review I read of the Hopes complains about the lack of grip and size of the inboard bearing bulge.

legend
    Free Member

Just swapped F20s to Nukeproof Horizons (plastic ones at that). The grip on the Nukeproofs is a considerable step better (even with the centre pins removed from the Hopes)

warpcow
    Free Member

It’s personal preference really (as was the conclusion in the eminently readable flat pedal grouptest in this here magazine). Some people want absolute grip, while others want a bit of movement. I think the grip of my f20s is perfect (I paid nowhere near rrp though). Others might disagree.

NormalMan

@ legend I hope the horizons last longer than mine.

2 pairs died within a week. Now I have Hope pedals. They feel like they are built to last. Also did not pay anywhere near RRP though.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Mate lent me a whyte bike the other month with a set of these pedals on. I’ve resisted them in the past because of the poor grip view despite loving how they look and either use Nukeproof or DMR vault on my two bikes. I’m glad I got to test them before laying money out on them as they were a bag of c*******. You couldn’t pay me to own a pair, if I had a quid for every time my foot slipped on them the pedals would of been free!!!!

legend
    Free Member

My Hopes were notchy on arrival. Had many years of good service from SS Nanos, expecting the same from the NPs, but for a third of the rrp of the Hopes I’ll handle it if they don’t last forever

NormalMan

Fair enough.

Mine lasted 2 rides. Then replaced under warranty. Then second pair died on ride 3.

I do like to move my feet around so find the Hope fine.

My feet are odd though. I loved the old NP electron but hated the evo version that most raved about.

grobin13
    Free Member

Hope less…. pedals if you ask me. Poor grip with 5.10s and easy to take a chunk out of them with a pedal strike. Look good but not worth the money. I’m buying some more vaults as plenty of offers on them at the moment and reliable grip.

batman11
    Free Member

Burgtec mk4 here great pedal loads of grip and pretty easy to replace bushs and bearings when the need arises.

grobin13
    Free Member

I was swayed towards the Bergtec but it’s a very short axle – any issues with shoes rubbing on frame?

batman11
    Free Member

Can’t say I’ve had issues with frame rub and I’m a size 10 with five ten impact shoes, so a pretty chunky shoe. Guess is there was any thing of note it would be running on the crank arms but that seems to be common with most flat pedals! And of cause you can get crank skins for most big brand crank arms

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Nukeproof Horizon plastics.

Done a season of racing and a month in the Alps.

I’d have bought another set of Vaults worth of bearings in that time & they would still be rattling. They live in the spares box now.

The Hopes would have been in the bin, rode a bike once with them, even with 510’s the grip was laughably bad.

cardo

Have a set of Hopes comin up for 5 years old and apart from cosmetic damage have been faultess ,they do spin nice and freely from hours of use.. great pedals ! Grip with 5:10s has never been an issue in most extremes of conditions ..

Northwind

letmetalktomark – Member

Reviews regarding the grip level seem mixed – some reporting too little grip.

There’s a couple of different pin variations, the solid ones ime are pretty ungrippy but they released a hollow tip one which is supposed to be better. Not sure which version you get with the pedals now though.

Got horizon plastics on 2 bikes, one of them’s got a little bit of an axle-cap-coming-loose issue because the plastic’s deformed a little but they’re pretty well used, and at the price and weight I’m not complaining. If I needed pedals tomorrow I’d get the same. My other pedals are stupendously expensive mag-ti nanos and tbf they’re not as good.

letmetalktomark

Thanks all.

Just re read my original post …… 😳 ….. Teach me to type on my phone ……

There’s a magazine ….. That does group tests ?????? Mind. Blown. 😉

Think Nanos might have money off this month.

dmck16
    Free Member

F20’s (long hollow pins) paired with 5:10 Freeriders. No complaints, even in winter slop. Just enough movement allowed to reposition your foot. Excellent build quality too.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tried F20, they were dung.

Burgtec are fantastic, the grip of vaults, but not made of dairylea.

ceepers

Our favourite flat pedals right now

Personally I’ve got vaults and nanos. Nanos ar excellent value but the vaults are better. If you’re spending hope money buy vaults!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Hope f20 pedals are lovely, unfortunately they aren’t very grippy though.

More than happy on Nukeproof Electrons. Way more grip, lighter, massively cheaper.

peteandsoo
    Free Member

DMR v8’s with terrapins and 5 10’s work a treat. The v8’s seek indestructible, although i have the unpainted one’s as the coloured ones look naff when the paint wears.

newrobdob
    Free Member

I wonder if the people who like ultimate grip on pedals have previously used clip less pedals, and people like me (I prefer less grip so I can move my feet around) have a bmx background or have never used clipless pedals.

I used SPDs for a short while in the 90’s and didn’t get on with them and after a 5 year stint riding street and flatland bmx I was very confident on flats BUT I find some pedals are just too grippy. And some are way too big – I’ve got Nanos on my main bike but I might go back to V8’s as they just seem too big (size 10 feet).

grahamt1980

Currently got f20’s on the dh bike.

Nothing wrong with them at all. I did put the hollow pins in though.

Ok not quite as much grip as vaults or the nukeproof ones on my other bikes but Def not crap.
    I did get them second hand though so didn’t have to face the eye watering price

gelert
    Free Member

If you haven’t yet bought the Hope pedals then save your money would be my advice.

I am interested in trying OneUp Components new Alu pedal. It has 3 bearings and no bushings so in theory should last even longer than the Hope pedals. But it’s new to market and has a convex shape instead of concave or flat. They say it’s more grippy. We need reviews though!

I asked on here recently about F20 grip:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/hope-f20-flat-pedal-pins-make-them-grippier-solutions

The Hope pedals are still on my bike. I’ve removed 2 central pins per side. 8 removed in total and the grip is certainly better. I’d say it’s about as good as the old Shimano AM41 Flat shoe was on Superstar flats. Meaning it’s not bad but it’s not the ultimate grip. I’m on FiveTen Freerider Elements now and not ever had an issue until the F20s.

My confidence levels are on a roller coaster ride at the moment anyway but on one wet day just before I started that topic I couldn’t clear a set of skills zone jumps up at Llandegla – my feet didn’t feel in control on the pedals and it felt really weird. I hadn’t ridden Llandegla for a while and not on the Hope pedals at all. I asked about grip on here and removed the pins then the following weekend had very similar wet trail conditions so I rode from home to Llandegla and cleared the line of jumps like I would have normally – and with a tiny bit of extra style as I found out later from the video – I didn’t know I’d started tweaking jumps!! Problem solved. I had a great July. I did 8000m of descents. I pedalled to the top of them all too and my feet haven’t come off since the pins were removed.

I paid about £76 for my F20s. Still that’s 3 pairs of Superstar El Plastiques that grip like hell but don’t last 3 months.

My Nukeproofs didn’t last any longer than the Superstars either.

So I’m still on the lookout for something gripper than the Hopes that last a long time. The OneUps are on my radar. Light too 355g.

thegman67

I love my Hope pedals,been using them for eight months and have had no problems with grip or quality

ehrob

Vaults are the best I’ve used for outright grip, but they do need stripping and regreasing every other month or so.

These as a leftfield option? Got a set for cheap during pre-order – not used yet, but Vault-like shape and seem well built.

https://www.steeleindustries.co.uk/collections/components/products/po30-platform-pedal

edd

I’ve run a pair of Hope flats for four years. They’re dead reliable and spares availability is great (in fact they were rebuilt – their first ever maintenance – winter 2016/17).

I don’t find them as grippy as other pedals and they’re really expensive. Personally, if they were to need replacing I’d get something cheaper and grippier (I loved the Nukeproof Electron’s that I had before). That said if you value reliability they’re great.

I did find that removing the pins closest to the axle, as others have said, helped with the grip.

Stevet1
    Free Member

But it’s new to market and has a convex shape instead of concave or flat. They say it’s more grippy. We need reviews though!

I had a set of canfield crampons that were convex. They weren’t bad but the grip wasn’t as good as concave IMO. Gone back to the new DMR V12’s which are great.

andybrad

I ran F20 for 3 years. rebuilt them unnecessary last year and got some nanos as spare as i did it.

The hopes have not been back on my bike. The nanos are far better. Sealing and bush doesn’t seem to be as good though but the grip and use is much nicer.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If a Hope component is 50/50 pos/neg on this forum, then it must be shit, as you have to factor in the fanboi ratio. Hope really can do no wrong in some folks eyes.

alexxx
    Free Member

What are you all doing on f20’s to not find them grippy? They are on my dh and trail bike and have been all around NZ and the Alps and I can’t remember slipping a pedal once?!

legend
    Free Member

Comparing them against grippier pedals

craighill
    Free Member

I have just got myself the new one up components aluminium pedals, one ride and grip levels seem great, they are a little tight spinning but will see if the bearings free up, they should do.

alexxx
    Free Member

Yeah but why do you need a grippier pedal if you don’t slip your feet? They have a monstrous platform and big pins – win win?

legend
    Free Member

alexxx – Member

Yeah but why do you need a grippier pedal if you don’t slip your feet? They have a monstrous platform and big pins – win win?

Hopes don’t hold my feet in place as well, therefore pedals with more grip are betterer. Wasn’t blowing my feet off the pedals with any regularity, but i don’t want to have to think about what my feet are doing.

alexxx
    Free Member

I’ve just not experienced it at all which is why I was a little shocked to read this thread. Maybe the new fivetens bend around the pedals enough

legend
    Free Member

I also prefer a stiffer shoe these days that does less bending. The amazing GW (*waves*) for example would run pedals with almost no pins left as his shoe-foot combo wrapped around the pedal so much.. If you go back and forth between pedals you can really feel the difference with the Hopes (I had Nanos on the DH bike and Hopes on the trail bike for quite a while)

gelert
    Free Member

It’s a fine line for me between feeling confident on pedals and not. It’s only in the air on a wet day that I felt like I was floating on the pins and not really stuck to them until I removed the centre most pins. I didn’t slip a pedal at all but it felt like I was about to and I just wasn’t used to that.

I’m not sure you can have bad technique on jumps with flat pedals. You’d be on the floor or have gashed shins very quickly.

In fairness every review of the Hope pedals said there was less grip than other pedals so it’s my bad for not listening although I do like to make my own mind up on stuff. This time the reviews were right.

The Hope pins are much longer verses the Superstar/Nuke ones. You’d think that would be a good thing but it doesn’t seem to be so. The Hope pins are chamfered slightly with a hollow centre verses basically squared off screws.

I’m a Hope fab but I’m also happy to call them out when things aren’t so great. I think the F20s need new squared off pins.

craighill: I have just got myself the new one up components aluminium pedals, one ride and grip levels seem great, they are a little tight spinning but will see if the bearings free up, they should do.

Sounds good.
    What pedals did you run before?
    What shoes?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Hope pedals’ is closed to new replies.