Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Hope F20 Flat Pedal Pins – make them grippier solutions?
  • gelert
    Free Member

I’m not happy with the grip on my new (month old) Hope F20 pedals (over 300km ridden).

They have the current hollow pins. I’ve got FiveTens. I’m a long time flat pedal rider. I’m feeling a distinct lack of grip compared to Superstar nylon pedals or other Nukeproof pedals I’ve used before especially when it’s wet. (The cheap flats have axle play very quickly, that’s why I bought the Hope pedals).

Before I put the Hope’s up for sale on eBay has anybody done anything to increase the grip on the Hope pedals?

The pins seem a bit rounded to me rather than squared off.

I’m thinking of filing the top of the pins a bit to create a sharper edge. Would that work?

Are there any after market pins available for them that increase the grip?

My feet generally don’t come off flat pedals unless I want them to so the lack of grip on the Hopes is definitely noticeable to me.

If I can’t make the Hopes more grippy I’m going to order some of the new OneUp pedals.

Thanks

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Burgtec penthouse is what you want.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Make them grippier by selling them & buying some Nukeproof Horizons 🙂

legend
    Free Member

I’ve had a set for a couple of years now – they just aren’t very good. I reckon they need an extra pin on the outside to make them better (but there’s no way to do that without serious rework)

First of all though, are you running all the pins? That actually makes them less grippy. Removing the pins that are right beside the axle definitely seems to help.

I’ve just ordered some Nukeproof Horizon plastic things, and expecting them to be an upgrade. Hopes are going on the pub bike

lotto
    Free Member

I’ll take the Hopes from you if selling. What colour are they? Email in profile if interested in sale.

andybrad

got a set of hopes that ive recently put 30 quid worth of bearings in them.

They last very well but are not half as good as the superstar nanos ive put on as a stopgap.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

They last very well but are not half as good as the superstar nanos ive put on as a stopgap

That’s quite an indictment, nano’s are good pedals, but for what you pay for them, F20’s should piss all over them.

andywoodall
    Free Member

I find the stiffer the Five Ten, the worse the Hope’s are. As my shoes get more worn in they get better and to be honest, I find them perfectly fine and grippy enough.

The Nano’s are gripper, but the reliability is poor. Burgtec’s are good, but as I say, I find the Hope ones acceptable.

NormalMan

You can get longer pins I believe. I saw them online somewhere (Sorry, not very helpful I know).

I moved over to Hope pedals when I was looking replace original Nukeproof electrons. I tried the evo version of them but they dug in my foot and then went to horizon comps which felt great but I had 2 pairs fail in quick succession.

legend
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    That’s quite an indictment, nano’s are good pedals, but for what you pay for them, F20’s should piss all over them.

I would second his opinion. Several pairs of Nanos and would buy again, wouldn’t touch the Hopes again.

andywoodall – Member
    The Nano’s are gripper, but the reliability is poor.

In what way? Used them for years and the only trouble I’ve ever seen or heard of was when I smash one off a boulder at Ft Bill and bent the axle (which was then replaced for £5 or some daft amount like that)

nickhit3
    Free Member

Burgtec penthouse is what you want.

yup. for the cost of the Hopes its terrible that you have to go looking for solutions to up the grip. not the first time I’ve heard this either.

Rubber_Buccaneer

In what way?

In my opinion the Nano X isn’t as well sealed as the old Nano thru-pin and the bushes can suffer as a result but

then replaced for £5 or some daft amount like that

when the servicing costs are so low it’s very hard to worry about. In fact wait for the inevitable special offer and a set of Nano X could be pretty close to the cost of a set of bearings and seals for some boutique brands.

andywoodall
    Free Member

In what way? Used them for years and the only trouble I’ve ever seen or heard of was when I smash one off a boulder at Ft Bill and bent the axle (which was then replaced for £5 or some daft amount like that)

Mine didn’t last the winter. Whereas the Hopes did two winters before needing attention.

gelert
    Free Member

All great answers, thanks.

I like the suggestion to remove the two middle pins. Looking closer at the Burgtec they don’t have any pins in that area. I’ll try that first.

My trouble with the cheaper Superstar and Nukeproof pedals has been that they develop play in the axle very quickly. I don’t hose down my bikes at all so it’s just riding that kills them. The grip they offer is superb. I have gone through enough sets to pay for a set of Hope / Burgtec / OneUp Alloy so I thought I’d be onto a winner with the Hopes if they lasted as long as the equivalent cheap pairs and the service packs for the Hope are good value.

I also thought the older reviews talked about a little bit less grip but that Hope made the newer pins that fixed the issue.

It’s a new set of squared off pins / screws that would fix the problem once and for all which is a real shame if Hope can’t do that. The fancy chamfered hollow topped pins aren’t working. I’ll try removing a couple of pins and have a few rides then send a nice email to Hope and see what they say.

gelert
    Free Member

I’ve taken out the 4 central pins on both pedals and just from a little street test before and after I think that’s a definite improvement. Thank you @legend for the great tip.

It may be enough extra grip. I’ll test it out on my next ride.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sounds good

gelert
    Free Member

It wasn’t wet but I felt my feet were definitely more attached to the F20s with the 2 central pins removed last night.

I went out for a short loop / skills session on my nearest open mountain. Mix of a tech climb, a quiet path come enduro stage, then I sessioned some some sketchy steep sheep track and a table top jump.

Definitely an improvement. Will give them a good thrashing again now.

Thanks for the help STW Forum.

legend
    Free Member

All part of the service

Digby

I put the after market longer pins on the outside of my Hope f20s and it did make an improvement, but they still aren’t as ‘grippy’ as my Burgtec Mk3 Penthouse. Sadly I’ve broken 2 axles on the Mk3s and now a replacement has been out of stock for ever.

So the F20s have gone on another hardtail and a new set of Chromag Scarab pedals have been fitted – so far so good! Nice & grippy with a good wide platform. Spares also available, which is what attracted me to the Hope F20s in the first place.

jamesmio
    Free Member

For the cost of a set of pins/bearings etc, I can’t fault the Saints I’ve been running for the last few years (got 3 x pairs on various bikes from main/trail, DH and hardtail).

Grip’s ace, once you spend the time putting the pins into their longest setting (i.e. remove the washer), doddle to dollop fresh grease into ever so often and – touch wood – haven’t had a single issue with any of them yet.

Often available for £35-40~ ish for the pair. New…

Shame, cos I’m a Hope fanboi and would happily have stuck a set of their pedals on if they were head & shoulders better than the Shimanos.

woodster

Used Hope stuff always sells well. Get some Specialized Boomslangs for utter reliability and crazy levels of grip.

Poopscoop

Have to agree with OP.
    Nukeproof pedals (and similar) seem to develop play on spindle at crank end very quickly.

I think it’s due to the DU bush that isn’t serviceable?? I don’t think they are, anyway?

They work perfectly fine but you have to accept the play as a “feature” of the design.

Never considered Saints but might give them a try at some point.

rickon
    Free Member

Get some Specialized Boomslangs for utter reliability

I’ve had two pairs fail in 18 months.

They’re a great pedal, but they develop play very quick.

The f20 are the only pedal that I’ve used that doesn’t develop play within a very short period of time.

With the hollow pins, and removing the centre pins they have plenty grip. The problem is that they’re not concave, so don’t hug your foot with all the pins in.

Remove the middle pins, and you fake out a concave pedal. Plenty grip for DH trails etc.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Hope F20 Flat Pedal Pins – make them grippier solutions?’ is closed to new replies.