Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Hope pedals
  • guitarhero
    Free Member

Grip with solid pins = poor

grip with hollow pins = excellent

end.

legend
    Free Member

guitarhero – Member

Grip with solid pins = poor

grip with hollow pins = excellent

end.

You think everyone here isn’t talking about the hollow pin version?

guitarhero
    Free Member

You think everyone here isn’t talking about the hollow pin version?

As this is the stock pin I reckon so

roverpig

Like most things with bikes, it’s more a personal preference than a matter of good or bad.

I run Hopes on one bike and Vaults on another. Even with hollow pins and the middle two removed, the Hopes don’t have quite as much grip as the Vaults, but it’s enough for me and I’m not sure I don’t prefer it. With the Vaults I’m basically stuck with how my foot lands on the pedal. If I want to re-position it I’ve basically got to take my foot right off and try another random position. With the Hopes I can wiggle my foot about a bit more and find a good position even if it’s not right first time. But, as I say, it’s all personal preference.

By the way, I run 5:10s in the summer and Vaude STX shoes in the winter and the difference in grip between the shoes if much more than any difference between the pedals.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Never tried the Hope pedals – was always put off by the cost and the so-so reviews.

I’m running Vaults on both of my bikes and after 18months, can’t really fault them. They’ve dealt with some grim weather, lots of pedal strikes (mainly on the Demo) and are easily the nicest feeling flats I’ve ridden.

I like a grippy pedal and have ridden flats for a very very long time.

andybrad

im on about the solid pins.

not buying the hollow ones as its the same price as a set of nanos

gelert
    Free Member

If the hollow pins are this grippy and the older mk1 solid pins were worse?!? 😕

Mine definitely came with the hollow pins.

bigbloke
    Free Member

These are brilliant, light and cheapish….better than the Vaults supplied on my bike unfortunately which don’t have as much grip as the pedals below…

https://www.evanscycles.com/ht-components-ans-01-alloy-flat-pedal-EV303282

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I love my Hope pedals. I have 2 pairs. On my main MTB and my CX bike.

I don’t really notice what the grip level is like other that perfectly adequate so I have to assume that they are perfectly suited to me.

wl
    Free Member

Doubt you’ll find a better performing flat pedal than the plastic Nukeproofs. Everything else is just overpriced bling (which is fine, if that’s what you want).

legend
    Free Member

Jef Wachowchow – Member
    I don’t really notice what the grip level is like other that perfectly adequate so I have to assume that they are perfectly suited to me.

Just imagine how good life would be if things were better than adequate! 😯

gelert
    Free Member

Doubt you’ll find a better performing flat pedal than the plastic Nukeproofs. Everything else is just overpriced bling (which is fine, if that’s what you want).

I was just fed up with bushing play on the cheaper flats.

Long term reliability is what I wanted from the Hope F20s. I thought grip was something of a given for flat pedals. They seem to say they’re grippy.

I expected at least adequate grip. What I got was less than adequate and is maybe just about adequate now that some pins have been removed.

It’s not terrible. It’s just not fantastic. I’d not be recommending Hope pedals to anyone. Unlike their hubs, headsets, BBs, seat post collars, grips, etc.

chiefgrooveguru

I really like the shape and platform size of Vaults – my feet just feel at home on them. Have had one pair since they came out and another pair for 3.5 years. Rebuilt the old pair once, only greased the others. Bought a battered secondhand pair off a mate to rebuild and fit to the third bike.

Poopscoop

I love the plastic pedals too…. But as said, the bushing develops play very early on. Pedals still work fine but I’m a bit picky with such stuff! Lol

Thinking of trying some Saints, think they are rebuildable too? Good price also I’m not bothered about the weight really.

woollybackpaul
    Free Member

Having bought a nice new bike, twice I’ve fallen into the trap of buying posh(er) pedals – Hope & Spank.

Neither have been any better (the Spank worse) than a £40 pair of Superstars / The old Nukeproof metals ones.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Poopscoop, saints really aren’t very good, not very grippy, heavy, thick…

I used nukeproof electrons for years with no issue, took a beating and no bearing or bush issues.

My specialized boomslang are very grippy indeed, not cheap though.

rickon
    Free Member

Hope f20 pedals are lovely, unfortunately they aren’t very grippy though.

See, the problem is the Hope pedal body is flat, not concave.

The solid pins have rounded ends, so are slippery.

The new hollow pins are much sharper, but are taller, and if you put all of them on the pedal then you get a tall, flat pedal.

If you remove the centre pins, and only put pins on the edges, then you get a concave pedal.

Then the grip is pretty much spot on.

Without doing the above, they’d feel terrible and I totally understand all the bad comments.

I’ve had a load of flat pedals over the years, and keep coming back to the Hope pedals for the sealing, as in the Scottish weather, nothing else seems to last.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Jef Wachowchow – Member

Just imagine how good life would be if things were better than adequate!

I have tried many types of flat pedal from original Shimano DX to the re launch version to SuperStar Nano’s and Nukeproof plastics, DMR’s and find the Hopes to be just what I need. I also get the warm cosy feeling of supporting Hope.

chiefgrooveguru

If you remove the centre pins, and only put pins on the edges, then you get a concave pedal.

Maybe it’s just me but the idea of having pins I the middle of a pedal weirds me out – I want my weight to press down into the solidity of the pedal body, and the pins around the edge to stop my foot slipping laterally. I guess that’s another reason I like Vaults!

Big fan of Hope stuff generally so with your suggested tweaks I’d try the F20s if I wasn’t so wedded to my Vaults.

legend
    Free Member

and the pins around the edge to stop my foot slipping laterally

The fact that they only have 1 pin at the point furthest from the crank is another flaw I reckon. Every pedal I’ve ever liked has had 2 at the outside edge (also comes in handy for when you use a rock to remove one of them)

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve found I have such a wide Q outboard stance on my bikes that I don’t even have my feet on the inside pair of pins on the Vaults but the long four at the front, long three at the back and shorter outside pair keep me solidly in place.

mahalo

i really liked the look of my F20’s and the platform size/shape feels good but the grip was terrible so they have tended to reside in my spares box.. until i read this thread and ordered some hollow replacement pins!! first ride on them last night and the felt absolutely awesome!!! cheers

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Hope pedals’ is closed to new replies.