Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Hope or XTR bottom bracket?
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m in need of a new bottom bracket and I’ve decided to get a better quality one than the normal deore I’ve had before.

Are the Hope BB’s worth the extra money or should I just buy an XTR from rose?

Cheers guys and gals

Liftman

Hope, fit and forget
    Had one fitted for over a year now and no issues with it.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

saint from rose as its gold!!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Oooooooh I’d forgot about the saint ones.

Rorschach
    Free Member

its only £20 a pop to change bearings in the hope when the inevitable happens..

RealMan
    Free Member

Alternatively, I’ve had an XT one that’s been running perfectly for 2 and a half years.

amodicumofgnar

Go Hope.

I’ve had nearly 4 years out of Hope BB before the bearings needed changing. Although not too much riding done in last year so prob three years equiv of atleast two or three 20-30km min rides per week on the Peak gritstone.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

thas only 40 miles per week max tho

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

well the XTR is £16.90 and the Hope is £60. i could just buy a XTR and a Saint i guess and cover myself for a while.

DT78
    Free Member

rose was out of stock of xtr a couple of days ago when I had the same decision. As I needed it for this weekend I went for a hope from merlin for £56. As soon as rose are in stock I will be buying a couple of spares….

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

yeah just realised the same, think ill get a saint for now.

Anyone know if you can still get a code from facebook?

rj
    Free Member

Rorschach – Member

its only £20 a pop to change bearings in the hope when the inevitable happens.

So about the same as an XTR from Rose. I got 18 months out of my last XTR (although remarkably I got 2 years out of a RaceFace before that), just got another one from Rose.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

i went for a saint for now. I will get an XTR when they are back instock.

Northwind

XTR doesn’t seem any better than XT to me, but both very good. Hope doesn’t last 4 times as long- and it’d need to do more than that to be a good buy.

Liftman – Member

Any quality BB will do that.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Ceramic hope ftw

rickmeister

GUB Ceramic, fitted with SKF bearings, £35 ish delivered to your door from China via ebay…

Mixed reports from all ^^^^^ leaving me wondering why they fail… I think its excessive loading on the preload cap. Maybe fitting carefully is the key to long bearing life…

The exception ime is raceface…..

velocipede
    Free Member

Just ordered two Saint BB’s from Rose based on the advice given above – can’t believe how cheap they are! – £18 each inc postage 😀

amodicumofgnar

thas only 40 miles per week max tho

That’s a minimum (not average, not maximum) ride distance of 60-90km per week every week for 3 years. Its a quick average for a high wear area – gritstone not being the easiest on parts. It’s more a case of trying to give some frame of reference to use. I also have a Marin Bear Valley which hasnt needed a part changed on it in 10years. Its not been riden for 10 years either.

The Rose stuff sounds a bargin. The by cheap by many does have its place if the kit is still fit for purpose and your budget wont go further. Until I could afford Hope I did the same. I’d still view Hope as more sustainable. I think it lasts longer. When it does go I’d rather just replace the bearings in an item than the whole unit. It’s made in the UK.

there you go – too long an answer to a simple question. The short one is dont ignore good value.

foxyrider
    Free Member

My XTR has just started to go – 3 years though!!! I also have a Hope in storage 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Hope or XTR bottom bracket?’ is closed to new replies.