Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Hope Making Rims…
  • danielgroves
    Free Member

So, it seems Hope are venturing into the rim market now, shall be very interested to see what others make of them once they’re ‘out there’.

Quite a fan of the Stans/Hope combination, so the question will be will I continue to buy off the shelf hope hoops in the future or build some myself… time will tell I guess.

fivespot
    Free Member

42T rear cassette sprocket too 🙂

big_scot_nanny

If nothing else, should be some spectacular anodised colour options. Bring on the 90s!

Northwind

Wonder who’s making the rims…

The 42T adaptor makes sense and I shall look forward to fitting it along with my Hope cranks. Is it compatible with the clever combined freehub/cassette thing they also are definitely about to make 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

Very interesting.

Quite a few things I could go for there.

messiah
    Free Member

I like the look of the 35mm stem

Hope its not a boat anchor 😉

23mm wide enduro rims are lagging a bit behind the get-wide fad.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

I want that stem now!

ratherbeintobago

Is it compatible with the clever combined freehub/cassette thing they also are definitely about to make

Wouldn’t have thought so 😛

Is it 35mm long or 35mm bars?

danielgroves
    Free Member

Is it 35mm long or 35mm bars?[/quote]

Or both?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Wonder who’s making the rims…

wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Alex Rims.

danielgroves
    Free Member

They won’t be light then

chakaping
    Free Member

Long.

kimbers

42t rear sprocket sounds great, price/ availability……..?

MrSmith
    Free Member

They won’t be light then

looks similar to this but i expect it will be a bespoke design

440g – 480g 26-700c xc rim

and thats just their own branded rim, they build for a lot of people.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Not much of a Hope fan boy, but I’d be interested to hear how much the 42 tooth rear cog will be and when it’ll be available.

At least the rims have some subtle graphics unlike their bars!

njee20
    Free Member

Long. [/quote]

Sure? That looks like a 35mm bar clamp to me.

trail_rat
    Free Member

whats with the current fad of sticking a chainring to your rear wheel ?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

How long do we reckon a Hope ally freehub will last with one of those 42T sprockets on, before it tears through the spines?

mattjg
    Free Member

How long do we reckon a Hope ally freehub will last with one of those 42T sprockets on, before it tears through the spines?

I don’t have any problem running an 18T single speed on Hope hubs, so I doubt sitting and spinning on 42T is going to cause any problem. Why do you think it would?

bruneep

trail_rat – Member

When you’re an auld bastid like me who canna climb hills every advantage helps. One day you will find out. 😉

misinformer
    Free Member

What’s with the current fad of folks trying to make stuff the taiwanese, chinese mainland beat the pants off them at ?

njee20
    Free Member

I don’t have any problem running an 18T single speed on Hope hubs, so I doubt sitting and spinning on 42T is going to cause any problem. Why do you think it would?

More torque on larger sprockets, folk desperately trying to make 1×10 work won’t necessarily be spinning!

ratherbeintobago

At least the rims have some subtle graphics unlike their bars!

What bars?

brakes
    Free Member

in my experience it’s the smaller sprockets that create the damage to freehub bodies. it’s not the bigger torque from larger sprockets, it’s the faster accelerating smaller sprockets hitting the splines as you stomp on the pedals and the freehub pawls take time to engage.

jameso

They won’t be light then
    No reason why not, Alex have their own alloys for rims, make stuff for Shimano and DT among others. They have some great OE spec rims but the price puts them against ‘brand’ rims so they don’t get used as much as they could.

eshershore
    Free Member

Alex “make” a lot of rims for many “brands”, including Roval (specialized)

I have some rather nice Roval aluminium alloy 29’er rims on my 29’er, these weigh sub 500gm which is rather impressive considering their width (28mm) and that they have eyelets. They also take a big tire like a Purgatory and provide a secure tubeless conversion setup.

In 2 years of riding, I have yet to bend one, or crack the rim, unlike the many Stan’s ZTR rims which I have used, which always eventually cracked around the spoke holes as they had no eyelets

danielgroves
    Free Member
    njee20
    Free Member

in my experience it’s the smaller sprockets that create the damage to freehub bodies. it’s not the bigger torque from larger sprockets, it’s the faster accelerating smaller sprockets hitting the splines as you stomp on the pedals and the freehub pawls take time to engage

You mean the ones that aren’t riveted together and thus more prone to moving independently…?

In 2 years of riding, I have yet to bend one, or crack the rim, unlike the many Stan’s ZTR rims which I have used, which always eventually cracked around the spoke holes as they had no eyelets

Whilst my Roval Controle SLs were utterly wrecked after less than 2 years, flat spotted, dented, and they needed bearings about every 10 hours of use (not exaggerating), whilst I’ve never had a problem with Stan’s rims, including their Podium rims which were far lighter than the Rovals.

The newer Rovals do seem a lot better admittedly, but I’d still rather hand build.

nikxl
    Free Member

Have they sorted a shimano 11 speed cassette body yet?

ratherbeintobago

They bought some put last year.

Not exactly.

brakes
    Free Member

You mean the ones that aren’t riveted together and thus more prone to moving independently…?

I guess so, yes. Shimano XT ones are the ones I use.

Northwind

FWIW I’ve found my Rovals to be much softer than equivalent Stans. Probably because they divert weight into eyelets and away from the rim itself? But they’re “durable” I suppose is the word, you can batter crap out of them and straighten them out and they come back for more.

njee20
    Free Member

Shimano XT ones are the ones I use.

Even more relevant then, as the largest sprockets are held together on a carrier – hence the recommendation to use such cassettes with alu freehubs.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They won’t be light then

For comparison my first ‘propper’ MTB had alex rims (XC19?), when they wore out I ‘upgraded’ to mavic 517’s (the then top end v-brake rim) and they were heavier!

My Pitch had alex rims OEM, again, considerably lighter than the Mavic’s I replaced them with.

Maybe not Stans light, but then they’ve not got eyelets, the OEM stans with eyelets are pretty much mavic weights.

Have they sorted a shimano 11 speed cassette body yet?

Hope RS hubs are the new 11s hubs, not clear if the frehubs are compatible though, they’re the new 40t ratchet ones.

cookeaa

Rims will be a gamble for them, perhaps not worth it TBH…

TBH I’m not expecting the N/W ring or 42t sprocke to be particularly cheap (assuming they get to market this decade), happy for them to prove me wrong though…

If they can put the sprocket on the market for a reasonable price (under ~£45?) and the N/W ring at a comparable price to RF/Works/Blackspire’s before the summer they’ll do well, the fanboi’s will see to that…

fail to get those in shops before April and they’ll have missed yet another chance…

brakes
    Free Member

is this the sign of a fractious relationship with Stans? or perhaps that Stans are expanding into the hub world?

wilko1999
    Free Member

That or Hope have realised they can get their own branded rims made cheaper than they buy them from Stans, and then sell them off the back of their reputation for customer service, product quality and general all round British-ness (even though they won’t be made in Britain)

kimbers

if shimano bring out an 11-42 (or even 40) 10speed cassette then the all these adaptors will be useless

anyone know what shimano are offering for 2014?

ratherbeintobago

is this the sign of a fractious relationship with Stans? or perhaps that Stans are expanding into the hub world?

Not sure; I’d heard a rumour that Hope Hoops bought in the States are assembled by Stan’s onto Hope Hubs to save shipping costs.

Thing that might affect relationship is that Stan’s are selling their carbon rims only as a wheelset with their own hubs.

chakaping
    Free Member

Hope have realised they can get their own branded rims made cheaper than they buy them from Stans

Just this I’d guess – much better margins and they get to spec the exact rims they want.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Hope Making Rims…’ is closed to new replies.