Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Hope M4: upgrading to braided hose = difficult?
  • walla24
    Free Member

Have heard the thicker braided hose is difficult to fit into the fittings, your experiences please?

LoCo
    Free Member

can be a bit of a pita. just use good quality cutters on the hose so they don’t ‘splay’ the braiding.

coatesy
    Free Member

New olives make fitting easier too, even if you do spread the old ones.

convert

Def new olive. Was a total pita the first time, but easy enough the second.

69er
    Free Member

Easy job. Used Shimano cable cutters on the hose, and trimmed back the plastic sheath to get the (new) olives on. And you’ll need slightly diffent fittings, I went for the full Hope kit. Looks sweet.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

No need for any new parts. Here’s my How To.

coatesy
    Free Member

Actually depends on the age of the brake as to whether new parts are needed, earlier compression nut’s i.d. is too small to fit over braided hose, later ones are the same for both hoses.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I beg your pardon. Assuming that 5mm fittings – used with most black/gold Mono brakes and all silver/black Mono and Tech brakes – are being used, then no new parts are required.

coatesy
    Free Member

You have my pardon, but i’ve got an early set on my bike, and the braided hose won’t go through the compression nut. Also happened on a braided conversion we were doing for a customer, had to order the correct type from Hope(early plastic compatible-only nuts had a hex fitting and slightly smaller i.d., braided compatibles had two spanner-flats and a larger i.d.).

djflexure

Would not bother with braided hoses – so much less faff with regular hoses getting the olives on.

Timmo
    Free Member

i used these on mine last year,
    for the price, spot on and no new parts needed,
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stainless-Steel-Braided-Hydraulic-Disc-Brake-Hose-85cm-/190522736926?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item2c5c0a411e

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stainless-Steel-Braided-Hydraulic-Disc-Brake-Hose-140cm-/140544258148?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item20b9173064

fitted a set to a mates jump bike too, he’s chuffed to bits with them,
    although in fairness, mine are purely for cosmetic benefits as i cant tell any difference between the std hoses and braideds, 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Hope M4: upgrading to braided hose = difficult?’ is closed to new replies.