Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Hope Hoops – which rims for XC?
  • JimmyB
    Free Member

Think I'm just going to pop for a front Hope Hoop to get myself a 20mm wheel. Just not sure which is the best rim to go for from the selection although am trying to keep the weight down……

Riding is basically XC, nothing heavy (even if I have just bought a Maxle lite fork) so I'm wanting a lightweight wheel but one that will last some light abuse.

So DT 4.2 or Stans 355 or what? Any opinions on what's available?

cheers,

J

njee20
    Free Member

4.2s dent too easily. 355's for my money, much easier to run tubeless too.

trail_rat
    Free Member

355s here …..really impressed with them !

changed from dt x1800s to the hope xc sp3s with stans 355s. Ragged the poop out of them at weekend , super impressed. Selkirk merida and Glentress black – both with there fair share of rocks ….

even set them up with the rocket rons nick , fallen in love with them as an intermediate propperly set up tubeless tire !

D0NK

Heard good things about 355s so will be trying them myself soon I think, quite a few people don't seem to rate DTs but I've got a 4.2 on a front wheel, it has been fine, light, wide(ish) and has survived ok on the front of a heckler for quite a while then on my hardtail, it's got a slight twist in it now but it's had a lot of hard knocks in it's time – would reccomend it just dunno how it compares to 355.

michaelbowden

Mavic XC 717.

JonBurns
    Free Member

Yep I got XC SP3's with Stans 355 rims last week. I set them up just in time for a Sunday jaunt up at Dalby. I'm really pleased with them. Haven't set them up as tubeless yet though but will in time. (£305 inc delivery, came in just under a week) 😆

JimmyB
    Free Member

So the stans 355, which is lighter than the DT (?) is maybe a bit more resilient or have they just not been panned off yet?

Quite like the idea of tubeless so maybe Stans is the way to go, are they any dearer than the DT's?

How do they compare to XC717's? Ran XC517's for a while & never had any problems but are the 717's a lighter build?

Cheers,

J

z1ppy

nowt wrong with the 4.2 for XC, but if I reading this right Stans 355 can be used for tubeless without modification, DT need £25 worth of kit per wheel.

trail_rat
    Free Member

z1ppy you need a yellow rim tape and valve plus sealant – hope can supply this set up for both wheels for 25 quid

JonBurns
    Free Member

Should all be the same price but I have noticed a few variances in price between rim options from a few places but only by a few quid.

Stans can go straight into being tubeless you just need the yellow tape (which is about a tenner) instead of normal rim tape. the yellow tape can be used as a normal rim strip also which is how I have it at the mo'.

To go tubeless you'll still need to by some valves and solution though so probably not much of a saving if at all.

JimmyB
    Free Member

So need to get some yellow strip & fit it just to be ready for the future, I guess that worth it.

I'll have a shop around & see what I can find price-wise.

Cheers,

J

trail_rat
    Free Member

grrr triple post

trail_rat
    Free Member

triple post ! GRRRR

trail_rat
    Free Member

winstanleys were the cheapest at last count . 285 i believe – didnt use them my self mind and i believe they are a bit hit and miss with delivery times ( i think they order from hope once you order from them rather than hold stock)

you also get spare straight pull spoke for each side of the wheel , a velox hope branded cloth rim tape and a hope hoops sticker for each rim.

JimmyB
    Free Member

Only going for the front as need to buy disc brake too (found a hope mono mini in lbs for £100) so looks like £95 for 355 rim or ~£85 for DT rim.

Do shops have these in stock or are they built to order?

jonb
    Free Member

Factory built, hand finished. Shop may have to order but will hold some stock.

Sure wiggle/CRC had them on offer.

I'm a little bit nervous about going for the 355. I've used 717 for afew years but found them a little weak. But this is for a lighter FS rather than a 140mm hardtial so they should be alright.

Pippalarge
    Free Member

355's are class. Apparently Nick Craig agrees – he was sporting them on his Scott Genius at Selkirk

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Hope Hoops – which rims for XC?’ is closed to new replies.