Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hope hoops or mavic crossmax?
  • hilton83
    Free Member

Buying some new wheels next week, i really really like the crossmax st’s, the only other option im considering are hope hoops? Anybody got any good or bad experience with either wheel? If i go for hope im thinking ztr arch ex on straight pull hubs? All opinions/knowledge gratefully recieved though not necassarily taken notice of! 😉

Deveron53
    Free Member

Go for Hope with normal J-bend spokes. Easier to rebuild when needed. Don’t have to wait 2 weeks to get correct spokes (or even longer with Mavic spokes PLUS don’t have to buy half a wheel’s worth!)

matthew_h
    Free Member

Can you even get the Arch EX on Hope Hoops?

I agree entirely with Deveron but also would add that the Mavic freehub design is a bit gash.

wrecker
    Free Member

The Hopes are much better value but the mavics do have better performance. Is the performance increase worth the extra moneys? I dunno. Maybe to some.
    The hopes are easy to repair and have a good choice of rims. The mavics I have (SX) are very stiff and stupid tough. Do like a bit of TLC though (tightening the thingy). Spares are obviously cheaper and easier to come by with the hopes.
    VFM=Hope
    Performance=Mavic
    Pays your money, takes your chances.

Swalsey
    Free Member

I really like hope but I think the pro 2 are not as reliable (in terms or bearing wear) as many think. I own both and have done less on the crossmax, but they take a battering on my HT and feel/look good. They are light and I’ve not had any problems with the spokes. If the availability of spokes bothers you, buy a few to keep before you need them!

spooky_b329

After endless shopping around and a 3 month wait for spoke nipples for a wheelset, and then having to buy new anyway after the freehub broke (and being told replacements generally break as well), I will never buy a ‘non-standard’ wheelset again.

Offending wheelset was Shimano XT, we had to buy a £50 Halfords wheel to keep us going after the freehub incident, and we never got the spoke nipples, ended up fitting XTR nipples which are different.

Hope Hoops are where its at…standard spokes, standard nipples and user servicable hubs. They even include spare spokes with Hope Hoops 🙂 Plus the Stans rims don’t need additional rimstrips for tubeless, which cost extra and add further weight.

Toasty

I’ve had 3 sets of Hope Hoops, every set has been fantastic. I’d definitely go standard spokes as above, it means you can pick up spares in virtually any bike shop (and you get some with them anyway).

You’d save 50g with the Mavics, which equates roughly to those 16 spokes you’ve taken out and the 2mm narrower rim.

jedi

I love my crossmax . 🙂

hilton83
    Free Member

Jedi, you have the new crossmax yes? How long have you had them, and have you done any maintenance?

Onzadog
    Free Member

For me, It’s hope every time. As above, normal j bend spokes. Mate had a cracked magic hub that was two years old. Was told by the importer that it was a reasonable life for a wheel. My hopes just keep going. I’m still using bulb hubs that look and feel like brand new. Also, stick with 32 three cross spokes. Easier to get rims and spokes pretty much anywhere.

jedi

I had them 5months and no problems at all until last sunday when I came up short on a large drop and pranged the back wheel. All sorted now. No rim could have taken that impact so I’m still happy with them. Light and strong , love in a wheelset

therag
    Free Member

I’m also looking to buy a set soon, today i got recommended hope pro 2 with arch ex rims for £329 delivered with tubless kit.
    Does this Resonable?

Popocatapetl

Eastón Havens on CRC for £404 the pair. Bling as in Magnesium, light strong and all sizes available.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hope hoops or mavic crossmax?’ is closed to new replies.