Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Homemade Headset Press – Any good?
  • MRanger156
    Free Member

Thinking of making one of these as about the same as getting the LBS to fit one.

Is it a good idea?

sam_underhill

I bought the cheap one on wiggle after deliberating over home made or using a hammer. probably 2 or 3 times the prices of a home made one, but it made a risky difficult job the easiest thing in the world!

nbt

yes – I built two for a tenner using threaded bar, bolts and washers from B&Q. Have fitted several headsets without problems. I would adivse you fit one cup at a time and just keep checking for alignment as it goes in.

PJay
    Free Member

I picked up a cheap Cyclus one for something like £30-£35 after my LBS quoted around £20 to press the cups (if I remember rightly). I've only used it once to date but it was really easy. It's not a top quality tool but seems rather better than the Park one for a similar price.

mavisto
    Free Member

Got a homemade one off Ebay as the guy was selling them for less than I could actually get the bits for. Only used it once, but it worked very well. Made sure the threaded rod was central in the head tube and the washers covered the headset cups evenly. Gentle turns with a spanner and the headset pulled in easily. Certainly better than the wood and hammer route.

Still had to pay the LBS for facing the head tube, but that was only a fiver.

swisstony
    Free Member

Yeh do it, mine's just the job though as my last 2 frames have been from on one i've been able to press the cups in by hand!

MRanger156
    Free Member

So its just a threaded rod (10mm?), two nuts, two big metal washers and 2 nylon washers to make it easier to turn?

grumm
    Free Member

I bought that cyclus one, was less than £30 with a voucher at wiggle I think. Just fitted my first headset successfully with it, was dead easy. Another one at some point and it will have paid for itself.

acjim
    Free Member

Yup – easy to make and simple to use (pretty much as you describe bitswise)

mefty
    Free Member

I used these bits from wickes threaded bar, stud connector (bit more to get hold of), and washers. Works really well. I also do one cup at a time.It only costs a fiver with spares left over to give to a mate.

I use all six washers as they are pretty thin.

coatesy
    Free Member

You can also get Park adaptors seperately to go with the studding if you want to go that bit further.

tazzymtb

I use a weight training bar with threaded ends. The end nuts are just the right size to fit inside the headset cups and it's burly enough that I can maul a headset in very quickly.

sv

Yep I did my pitch with a DIY threaded bar one cup at a time – dead easy.

samuri
    Free Member

same as nbt for me, cost me a few quid, I've fitted loads of headsets great with it. One cup at a time. But not two girls.

Radioman

I use a Cyclus press too. I used to have homemade job many years ago..the Cyclus is much much better

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

So its just a threaded rod (10mm?), two nuts, two big metal washers and 2 nylon washers to make it easier to turn?
    Thats about it really, spot on. that's what I use. Just make sure that the cups are going into the headtube dead square before you start giving it some welly, common sense really.
    Or you could t*at them in with a lump of wood & a mash hammer instead, like some people.

Mrtrotter
    Free Member

I just use a bench vice and 2 bits of laminate flooring. Ok when bike is stripped down to frame.

Xan
    Free Member

Yes they work fine. I built one with a lenght of M8 screwed rod, 2 M8 bolt and 2 M8 penny washers but I added 2 bits of wood with a bit drilled out just bigger than the headset diameter wise and about 1/2-1 inch deep. thought it might cause less damage to teh headset and make sure it goes in straight. I'll try and remember to put some pics up later.

carlphillips
    Free Member

i used a 10mm bar/washers etc and it was rubbish, proper press for me everytime for easy installation.

tinsy
    Free Member

I have used a lump of wood and a hammer (twice), I have pulled em in using the forks and SFN & the stem with spacers (once), but maybe next time I remember I will buy some stud bar from B&Q. 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Homemade Headset Press – Any good?’ is closed to new replies.