Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Home alone hounds
  • loup
    Free Member

All these threads about dogs have got me really wanting to get one… but I'm concerned about the home alone thing.

Once we've actually bought a house (with a big garden!), we'll both be out at work all day – 8/9hrs away from the house. So many people in the country have dogs that I can't believe that this isn't the case for many people.

So my question is – how long is your dog at home by itself? Is it indoors or outside? What breed is it and how well does it cope with the separation/being alone?

I'd really love to get a dog, but I wouldn't do it if I thought they'd suffer being alone.

If we were to get a dog, it'd get at least a half hour walk or run before work, and then a long (+1hr) walk/run/bike ride in the evening. I'd look to getting a dog walker for some point during the day.

At weekends there'd be longer walks/runs/biking of course 😀

jon1973
    Free Member

I'd say don't get one if you'll be leaving it for 8 or 9 hours a day. I'd love a dog but won't get one for that reason.

Dogs are pack animals and they need company – and they do suffer being alone – although people seem to convience themselves that it's not.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

So, I have a job where I'm home the odd day, mrs deadly's home the odd day, sometimes we're both at home and some days I could take the dog to work with me in a van and take him/her for walks during lunch or something. But, occasionally (and it would be as little as possible, he might have to spend the day alone).

Sorry to jump in on your thread lou p – but would appreciate opinions on my situation too – were I to dognap 2hotties border terrier 🙂

andywarner
    Free Member

8 or 9 hours is too long. We have a two year old Rottie and I leave at 7.30 and get back at about half four. GF leaves at 11.30 and gets back at 6 so he has a max of about 5 hours alone. He doesn't like being left much but he gets plenty of exercise and lots of love and care when we are there. He certainly seems a very happy, friendly and loving dog and I trust him completely with our 18month old daughter who adores him.

mtbfix

Get a cat. They love you when you wake up and when you get home (ie they want feeding) but they let you get on with your life the rest of the time.

tonyg2003

We have two border terriers and they get left at home about 2-3days a week for most of the day. They have always been fine with this, but I wouldn't do it with a super active dog like a spaniel. Plus when they were younger they got loads of walks per day (big one in the morning and another in the evening). I'm working from home today and they are sleeping (snoring gently) under my office desk. When I'm at home they seem to sleep most of the day now!

vitalspark
    Free Member

Dude

Dogs sleep about 18 hours a day – the key to a happy dog is a very well excerscied dog. Most doggy probelms arrise as a result of owners not taking their dogs out for enough walks. So as long as they are knackerd in the morning when you leave them , and you run them about mad in the evening – and spen lots of quality time at the weekend' and holidays – then go for it. At the end of the day if it all goes wrong, their are organisations like the Dogs Trust which will re-home.

Another option – get a more mature rescue dog: 1) It will happily sleep all day on your best couch, and 2) Might not be ideal leaving for 9 hours, but id the alternative is being put down – – – –

Just get a dug, right

jbig
    Free Member

We leave out two Jack Russells at home often for between 5 and 8 hours and they are fine. I agree that if you are going to do this plenty of exercise is the key. They really do sleep all day and just become massive balls of energy when you take them up to the fields.
    I don't think I'd be so happy to leave one dog on its own, but in our small terrace, two little dogs take up barely any more room than one would.

goon
    Free Member

8 0r 9 hours is too long for a lone dog without a visit, in my opinion. On the weeks I am on earlies, I go home for lunch to play with Ted and let him out for the toilet. He has two hours of walks every day, rain or shine to ensure he is worn out and happy.

As for suffering alone, well that will laregly depend on the dog. Good exercise, a good routine and the right dog and you will be fine. I've often left a webcam on Ted and he does exactly the same on his own as when we are in – sleeps like he's dead.

tankslapper
    Free Member

O.K. great guys, but what happens if your work situation changes and suddenly said mutt is home alone 8-9 hours a day, what then?

Taylorplayer
    Free Member

I think 8 or 9 hrs is too long to leave a dog alone, but – if you're both working you could use a dog walker. Depending on the breed (and dog walker) it might be possible for the dog to have an hours off lead exercise whilst you're at work.

loup
    Free Member

OK… so maybe we should get two 😀

The OH did jokingly once say I could have a pack of Westies… I keep reminding him of that!

headfirst
    Free Member

Yep, the answer is to have two – they will also tire each other out a lot more when you take them out, as long as you have somewhere you can let them off the lead. A wise man once said: "two dogs, half the problems"(but twice the cost of dog food). Dogs that know their proper place 'in the pack' are happy dogs, no matter how long they're left at home.

Highly recommended read: The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell

hainey
    Free Member

With ours it varies. He gets left on his own for 4 days of the week but we try and stagger our starts and finishes so he is never on his own for more than 8hrs. The Mrs gets home most lunchtimes to walk him mind.

As said above Dogs sleep for most of the day anyway, ours always gets a long walk in the morning and in the evening and lots of exercise at the weekend.

If they were on their own for 10hrs a day, 5 days a week then i think you should reconsider.

epicyclo

I think the answer is a hound. They are quite happy to lie around so long as they a run each day.

carbon337
    Free Member

i have a springer and they are renowned for being mental but when i work from home he sleeps all bloody day – we have no problems the other 3 days when he is left alone. We got hit at 5 though so a bit more lazy but not much.

Two very good runs a day.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

Headfirst & Vitalspark are speaking sense.

If it realistically is more 9 hours that just over 7 this is a bit harsh.

I've got two Malmutes and take them out for an hour and a half through the woods in the morning or playing in the fields with some other doggy friends so they are knackered (up at five but it's worth for the fun and excercise) and then take them out again after work for an hour or so every day rain or shine.

I also have a dog walker who takes them out for an hour every other day (£10 an hour- but well worth it).

I do the early shift and leave them at about 9AM and my wife gets in and does the evening shift getting home at about 16:45.

It depends on your dogs personality and temperament though- a bored intelligent dog will destroy your house.

hainey
    Free Member

I think the key thing is routine.

jumping_flea
    Free Member

I think the key thing is routine.

+1
    Prob wouldn't leave a young dog in for long periods of time on thier own. But our old dog (she died 6months ago) used to have a walk before we went work – then we would be out for no more than 7-8hrs – then a walk at 18.00hrs in the afternoon.

Even if I got back early for work she wouldn't bother to get up because she knew it wasn't either tea time or walk time – she would lift he head up, wag her tail, have a fuss, then go back to sleep 🙂

jon1973
    Free Member

O.K. great guys, but what happens if your work situation changes and suddenly said mutt is home alone 8-9 hours a day, what then?

It's still not fair on the dog whether it's by accident of design.

anagallis_arvensis

I cant speak for anyone elses dog but mine gets left on her own sometimes, in the back yard with her kennel (which she sleeps in at night, yes I am that cruel). Usally the Mrs is around till 10ish and I am back at about 4-5. Sometimes like when Mrs is on tour I leave at 7 having walked her and get back at 4-5. She doesnt seem to really care she sleeps all the time anyway. Neighbours never hear a peep apparently apart from at 4.30 when her in built walk alarm goes off (about to hear it now).

I've been off work due to me dodgy hip since Xmas and she just sleeps all day anyway. I've been working all day on PC upstairs, shes been alseep on a chair downstairs and has only been up twice when she wants letting out to pee. Admittedly she's a lurcher so sleeps alot but as long as she has two walks a day with a good run after a ball, she will sleep the rest of the time. If a dog is well fed, well exercised and has been trained to be left stating with 1/2 hour or so from an early age 4 hours or 8 hours makes no odds as its sleeping.

I cannot even count the amount of fat, poorly trained, hyperactive dogs that i see beeing walked by dog walkers. probelm isnt time alone its lack of mental and physical stimulation.

puppies are a different matter though.

Anway here she comes, 20 mins early today.

bassspine
    Free Member

the dog next door used to bark, whine and howl constantly for 8 hours a day while the owner was out. (I work from home several days a week) mentioned it to neighbour "no, he never barks" was the reply. Obviously not while his owner was home…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Home alone hounds’ is closed to new replies.