Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Holy mother of….
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Just had a quote for the disconnection of a freestanding gas cooker and installation of another freestanding gas cooker (we’ve bought a new cooker, so it’s swap really). Now this isn’t going to take that long and is a straight forward job. The quote does not include disposal of the old cooker.

They quoted (with a nice cheery voice) £275 + VAT 😯 😯

Holy dog eggs! Are they having a laugh???

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yes they are having a laff. We got 2 day’s work including parts for £450.

You’re not supposed to, but it’s possible to DIY that fairly easily…. 8)

bristolbiker
    Free Member

You’re not supposed to, but it’s possible to DIY that fairly easily….

I was going to say that as well (assuming it is a direct swap/the bayonet (sic) doesn’t need moving on the supply pipe), but my flame proof suit isn’t to hand! 😆

ChrisHeath

If it’s freestanding, does it not just have a bayonet connector? Unplug the old one, and plug in the new one?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

In the good old days I’d have done it myself, but Mrs Feet frowns upon me doing that sort of thing. Really it should be a Gas Safe registered chap(ess) doing it. Mrs Feet would only blame me if the house blew up!

Stoner
    Free Member

then tell her the £250 is coming out of her shoe fund.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

In the good old days I’d have done it myself, but Mrs Feet frowns upon me doing that sort of thing. Really it should be a Gas Safe registered chap(ess) doing it. Mrs Feet would only blame me if the house blew up!

it is a fair point – you will get a commissioning certificate, so if there is a leak and the house blows up she can chew someone else’s ear about it rather than yours!!

llama

£250? no way

bayonet fitting is a 5 min job, 4 mins of that is moving the cookers about

they will have to pay for disposal, you will not, just take it to the tip

BUT if the bayonet needs moving, or in a nasty place, then together with the disposal, hmmmmm no still sounds too much

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

No moving of bayonet or gas outlet. Straight forward swap and the quote did not include disposal. Quite unbelieveable really. I can only assume they don’t want the business!

bigyinn
    Free Member

You’re supposed to get a gas fitter to do it? 😯
    I swapped ours over, after I’d re sealed the tapered screw the bayonet fitting attached to. PTFE tape did the job.

sweepy
    Free Member

That really is ripping the arse out of it, tell the Mrs the guy can only come when shes at work, do it yourself, spend the £250.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There’s no way I’d pay someone to swap a bayonet fitting over. It’s like getting someone to put your trousers on for you in the morning! 😉

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

DO NOT USE NORMAL PTFE TAPE ON GAS FITTINGS!

It rots away, hence no seal and leakage. You must use the yellow roll, gas rated stuff.

It is a diy job and you can quite legally do it yourself. You cannot however do it for somebody else, for reward or for FREE.

Just get it done. Quarter turn and pull gently, they can be very stiff sometimes.

tang
    Free Member

…then the washing up liquid foam round the fitting to check for good fit with no leak.

greenboy
    Free Member

My plumber who is gas registered charged me £25 to connect a new gas hob so swopping one out and fitting new one should be about £40-£50.

SiB
    Free Member

used to disconnect the oven on frequent basis to clean behind, around and under it (freestanding, but not a good fit!), just the same as changing a light bulb, nearly!

£250……do you sound old on the phone p di f??

Junkyard
    Free Member

bonkers quote. I re routed my gas pipework and then installed the bayonet fitting then fitted to pipe and mounted it then installed the free standing cooker – about an hours work I reckon including leak testing* [ would have been quicker but could not find my lighter 😉 ]
    That is just absoloutely stupid money like paying an electrician that to change a light bulb.
    Bayonet fittings are designed to be removed so I cannot see why you need a gas bod to do this

*What I did should only be done by the compotent or the stupid.

geoffj

For those of us old / sad enough to remember 😳

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdoLJsUI6S4[/video]

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Turns out that Keith who lives opposite me is gas safe registered. So he can do it. That’ll keep mrs feet happy (cue jokes about the neighbours keeping my mrs happy!)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

But the whole idea behind bayonet fittings was so that the consumer could move/disconnect/swap ovens himself.

Basil

had a free standing cooker’s swapped out before Xmas. Nice man came and swapped hoses and redid securing chain.Charged £60 all in ,took an hour.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

An hour! how big was the cooker?

Bear
    Free Member

and no to washing up liquid.

bigyinn
    Free Member

TheFunkyMonkey – Member

DO NOT USE NORMAL PTFE TAPE ON GAS FITTINGS!

It rots away, hence no seal and leakage. You must use the yellow roll, gas rated stuff.

Dont panic it was gas rated stuff and then leak tested with soapy water

Quarter turn and pull gently, they can be very stiff sometimes.

Bit like me in the mornings……

zokes
    Free Member

and no to washing up liquid.

Why? Works for us on lab gas fittings.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

do it yourself then pay £100 for a gas safety inspection

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Now now cheeky 😉

handyman
    Free Member

many years ago in Ipswich where i lived thre was a shop i think called peacheys or similar got blow up and burnt to ground by chap checking for gas leak!

zokes
    Free Member

many years ago in Ipswich where i lived thre was a shop i think called peacheys or similar got blow up and burnt to ground by chap checking for gas leak!

Presumably licensed fitters have to check – presumably better to check than not and find out the hard way!

Farrago
    Free Member

My parents were thinking of getting their windows replaced – 5 big windows including a couple of bay windows. Chap came to give them a quote. £18,000! My mum laughed at him and went “No thanks!” He went to phone his boss and came back 5 minutes later – £5,000. My mum at this point was pretty miffed that he could drop that much off a price in no time so said no. His response “I think that’s the right decision, you’ve got lovely wooden frames with all the original fittings, I really think you shouldn’t replace them”.

How about laugh at him and get him to try again with his quote?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Holy mother of….’ is closed to new replies.