Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Hole in bath!
  • benjamins11
    Free Member

Whilst fitting new shower mixer this evening, managed to drop it and put a hole in the bath. Whoops.

Obviously a new bath is indicated, but any ideas how to fix it now – hole is about an inch diameter – without taking the bath out.

My best plan at the moment is some plastic sheet and epoxy resin to stick it down. Any other ideas??

davesmate
    Free Member

Gaffa tape!

yossarian
    Free Member

Fibre glass repair kit. The kind they use for canoes and ting.

Done it a couple of times, all good.

ton

i did that once.
    silicon sealer worked for about 3 month.

project
    Free Member

Problem is the sheet could lift and you then deposit quite a few gallons of water on the floor and through te ceiling.

If you can get your hand under the bath,get a piece of 6mm plywood, drill a hole for a 6mm bolt , bolt length about 35 mm. chamfer off the edges of the ply and dril hole in centre, now apply a generous amount of silicone sealant, fit over hole, now fit a penny washer over hole in ply and again seal with silicone,insert domed headed bolt, and under the bath atach another piece of 6mm ply, apply a generous coating of silicone, now put on another penny washer, and the nut, tighten and you woill see th esilicone ouzing out around the joints, smear flat, leave to cure for a day.

Fill bath up with water,and mark water level with you in it, and keep an eye out for as drop in water level.

But it should hold,beware of catching yourself on the domed headed bolt.

benjamins11
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Landlords going to be a bit annoyed!

Martin.B
    Free Member

Sikaflex is pretty indestructible
    Sold in all the best halfords

MarkN
    Free Member

Glass fibre repair kit on the out side. When that has set some plastic padding on the inside.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

plastic or metal bath? if its a metal bath you may be able to repair it using some e-metal/liquid metal. slowly build it up. or cut the hole a bit bigger and put a plug hole and plug in it.

Ambrose

Loving that last repair 🙂

slimraybob
    Free Member

I did almost exactly the same thing myself a couple of years ago, one phone call and a ton later you couldn’t tell the bath had been repaired.
    Unfortunately I cant remember the companies name but they are nationwide.
    Think they might have been called hometech or something similer

benjamins11
    Free Member

fibre glass bath. Its not an expensive one, screwfix will do a new one for about 70quid. Temporary fix is a piece of plastic form a croissant box loads of epoxy. Luckily i live in a bungalow, so no risk of ceiling coming down when it inevitably leaks!

thanks guys!

PePPeR

My boy did similar a few years ago, he was having a shower, slipped and put his elbow straight through the bottom of the bath!

We repaired temporarily by doing a repair similar to projects way of doing it.

gator
    Free Member

Problem is the sheet could lift and you then deposit quite a few gallons of water on the floor and through te ceiling.

If you can get your hand under the bath,get a piece of 6mm plywood, drill a hole for a 6mm bolt , bolt length about 35 mm. chamfer off the edges of the ply and dril hole in centre, now apply a generous amount of silicone sealant, fit over hole, now fit a penny washer over hole in ply and again seal with silicone,insert domed headed bolt, and under the bath atach another piece of 6mm ply, apply a generous coating of silicone, now put on another penny washer, and the nut, tighten and you woill see th esilicone ouzing out around the joints, smear flat, leave to cure for a day.

Fill bath up with water,and mark water level with you in it, and keep an eye out for as drop in water level.

But it should hold,beware of catching yourself on the domed headed bolt.

Gafa tape for now and buy new bath 😉

iain1775
    Free Member

Sellotape and brown paper

ChrisE
    Free Member

Wee use these guys. They’re very good,

http://www.magicman.co.uk/

C

CountZero

Damn, I though Courtney Love and Hole were playing Bath! Really disappointed now. 🙁

petetheplumber
    Free Member

Use expanding foam to fill the gap under the bath and let the foam rise through the hole. When the foam dries cut it back level with the bath and then patch over with fiba glass.

frogstomp

Stans Sealant?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Love the 2nd plug hole suggestion.

benjamins11
    Free Member

thanks guys, its on a corner so of the bath, so projects solution is not going to be a goer, first bath post temporary repair currently being run so fingers crossed. Fibreglass repair kit and expanding foam to be sought today !!

benjamins11
    Free Member

Not good, the epoxy goes a bit soft when it gets wet and hot. We now have a sizeable puddle under the bath. Probably didnt help that my wife decided to run the deepest bath in history. grr.

PePPeR

fibreglass is not waterproof either!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

fibreglass is not waterproof either!

EH? So how come they make canoes out of it then?

project
    Free Member

benjamins11 – Member
    thanks guys, its on a corner so of the bath, so projects solution is not going to be a goer, first bath post temporary repair currently being run so fingers crossed. Fibreglass repair kit and expanding foam to be sought today !!

Posted 12 hours ago # Report-Post

Use my solution, but use a rubber washer both sides bedded in silicone, make the washer from a piece of old inner tube, use a double piece each side.

STATO
    Free Member

Not good, the epoxy goes a bit soft when it gets wet and hot. We now have a sizeable puddle under the bath. Probably didnt help that my wife decided to run the deepest bath in history. grr.

Youve just installed a new shower and the bath is at high risk of leaking with a lot of water in, so the first thing you did was to run a bath? No sympathy, sorry 😆

paulosoxo
    Free Member

make the washer from a piece of old inner tube

but not a piece that’s had a puncture 🙂

benjamins11
    Free Member

[Youve just installed a new shower and the bath is at high risk of leaking with a lot of water in, so the first thing you did was to run a bath? No sympathy, sorry ]

In my defence I hadn’t actually got the shower working as yet, so yes it was a high risk strategy, but thats just the kinda guy that I am.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Hole in bath!’ is closed to new replies.