Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How to clean an eVent jacket?
  • hoodoo
    Free Member

My Endura eVent jacket really, really needs a clean. Looking on the eVent web site reveals this statement

Your garment may be machine washed in warm water (110F / 40C) with liquid detergent

which surprises me since previous experience of membrane jackets (Gortex) has shown that you shouldn't be using detergents since you can never completely rinse them out of the clothing and their hydrophilic part then draws surface water into the material.

If I can't use detergents, I have to use a soap which is a problem since I live in a very hard water area (reduced cleaning and leaves a sum).

Soap Also has hydrophilic and hydrophobic properties just like detergents, so are the statements above a bit of a myth?

Any advice or experiences?

woffle
    Free Member

i used the recommended Nikwax rinse followed by the reproofer without any issues, followed the instructions to the letter.

EDIT: just found the instructions I copied from the Rab website:

* Regular washing of your eVent®fabricated garment will enhance product performance. Your garment may be machine washed in warm water (40°C) with liquid detergent. You may also use Nikwax® Tech Wash. We also recommend a second rinse to remove all traces of detergent from the fabric.
    * You may tumble dry your garment in a dryer or drip-dry. The warmth from the dryer will rejuvenate the DWR finish but do not use a temperature higher than the "warm" setting on your dryer since too much heat could potentially melt the fibers of the garment.

* Remember also to refer to the manufacturer's guidelines. Do not use fabric softeners or bleach.
    * Never dry-clean your garment.
    * At some temperatures, the heat from an iron can have a rejuvenating effect on the DWR finish but there is a greater potential for fabric damage if the iron is too hot. We recommend that if you do iron your garment you use a temperature no higher than "warm". (two dot)

Speshpaul

Hunt out the nikwax site (do the quiz) follow their wise words.

crazy-legs

Another vote for the Nikwax treatment, it's rejuvenated a couple of tired GoreTex jackets of mine in the past.
    I've found that once you start doing it though you need to do it more and more frequently.

awh
    Free Member

Don't bother with the spray on reproofers, wash-in works a lot better and is less messy!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

+1 for Nikwax method and products. Works a treat on mine.

BrokenCollarBones
    Free Member

I just washed mine yesterday, for the first time, at the laundrette after my ride at Gisburn Forest. I washed it as normal, 40 degree wash, gave it an extra rinse and hey presto, bob's your uncle & Fanny's your aunt, the jacket is like new. Not used any Nikwax or owt, just good old Aerial. 😆
    Oh yeah, bunged my Event pants in too and came they out fine.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Don't use detergent, get some wash balls.

anjs
    Free Member

hmm detergent can mess up the dwr coatings and stop water beeding. It can also contaiminate the pours in the fabric and turn the coat into a very sweaty number.

Wash in Tech wash and then reproof with TX10 as needed. If you have a mesh lining you should use the spray on rather than the eash in one.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I have a Pace eVent jacket. Wash it as normal with the rest of your kit, then once it has (drip) dried, steam iron on medium. Mine's 3 years old and is still waterproof and the dwr coating still works (it gets better when it's just been ironed)

anjs
    Free Member

yes DWR coatings normally need heat activation either iron or tumble dry

zaskar
    Free Member

Or handwash with Granny super suds-soap based etc.

Don't deteregents that have bleach or enzymes-ok but what else is there?

Also use the gentle machine wash mode too.

Haven't used the reproofing stuff-Rang Endura about my Stealth Jacket and the lady didn't know!

I'm suprised Endura don't sell the washing liquid or reproofing-oi Endura you could make some money on this!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

surely if the instructions say use liquid detergent, its ok to use it!

i just did mine on thurs – persil liquid, 40 degrees, drip dry and then warm iron, just as it said on the label. works perfectly.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How to clean an eVent jacket?’ is closed to new replies.