Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • High roller or Rubber Queen?
  • IamSam
    Free Member

Reet put another gash in a Purgatory. Its not quite fatal for the tire but I have fears that it may be for me when it finally gives up the ghost.

So it new tyre time.

Its a front tyre that needs to work all year round, can’t be arsed changing tyres as I run them tubeless. I’m taking a punt on toughness rather than weight so looking at a high roller in 2.35 UST flavour and the 2.2 Rubber Queen, may even go for a 2.4 as its going on the front but have seen how bloody massive they are and don’t fancy trying to keep up on tarmac with one of them up front.

Any body got a direct comparison for the above.

TAA

el_diablo
    Free Member

I’ve run 2.2 RQ USTs front and rear on my Five and I really rated them. They’re not black chilli in this size though. I’ve since had 2.2 UST Nobby Nics and am now on to 2.35UST High rollers.
    To be honest they’ve all been good although the HRs and RQs are probably the better of the three.

If I could be sure that the non-UST Black Chilli RQs would work well on my 819 rims, I’d definitely get them next time.
    The UST HRs are lighter, which is why I’ve ended up with them now and will probably stick with them

I’ve also got non UST HRs on Mavic 321 rims (running ghetto tubeless) on my Orange Blood.

So in summary, the HR USTs are good, the non UST HRs are also good tubeless and the Tubeless RQs were also very good.

Hope that helps!?!?!?!

IamSam
    Free Member

Waaaa confused now here it says the 2.2 is black chilli, good to know that they are both good tires and theres not much in it price or weight wise so its down to wether there black chilli or not.

any real world differences with the grip?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    grum
    Free Member

Big Earl 😉

el_diablo
    Free Member

Normal RQ 2.2 is Black Chilli, the Tubeless one isn’t, although the 2.4 Tubeless is?????

nextdaytyres has good info on compounds and weights etc.

Yetiman
    Free Member

According to conti’s own website the 2.2 UST is Black Chili.

IamSam
    Free Member

Bloody hell Grum……. didn’t need an other option.

Right there is defo a black chilli 2.2 here from the horses mouth and the weight matches merlin.

Grum whats your opinion of the Big Earls how tough are they whats the grip like??

el_diablo
    Free Member

Looks like they’ve updated them then, mine were deffo not BC compound, I remember checking out Contis website when I bought them.

Go with the RQs then, but try and get the latest chilli ones. Ribble have them on offer at £29 at the moment, but I suspect that’ll be the older ones.

Oxboy
    Free Member

My mate has run high rollers and RQ’s (RQ’s in both 2.2 and 2.4)
    He rates the Rubber Queens 2.4 ust black chilli as the best tyres he has ever ridden, even better than the 2.2. They look massive but roll well.
    Bloody expensive though at £45 + per end!

el_diablo
    Free Member

£50 for the Black Chili 2.2 USTs according to Conti UK.

High Rollers are about £35

Northwind

How tough are the RQs? I never had any problems with mine in the short time I kept them but the sidewalls were the thinnest I’ve ever used other than XC race tyres. I used non-UST ones tubeless and watching the sealant almost pour out through the walls was pretty funny.

I never really clicked with them myself but then I’m not that impressed with the smaller highrollers either. Remember the size difference will be huge, the 2.35 Highroller is narrower than the 2.2 RQ and much less tall.

Oxboy
    Free Member

well my mates 16 stone and has ragged the 2.4’s on an orange alpine and a citic bfe with no ill results, he did however shred his 2.2’s as did my other mate at fort bill.
    Get the 2.4’s

chakaping
    Free Member

The 2.2 UST seems as tough as the 2.4 UST. Both are pretty heavy.

I pierced a 2.4 coming down Cader Idris a bit fast on my Froggy and put DH tubes in after that, but never had any probs with sidewalls on the USTs despite quite a bit of Lakes/Wales action.

I think they’re tough enough for trail riding most places if run tubeless, but the shallow-ish tread pattern can clog easily in some conditions – so HRs might be a better bet if you don’t like to change your tyres.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘High roller or Rubber Queen?’ is closed to new replies.