Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • High Roller front Ardent rear good combo ?
  • shredder
    Free Member

Looking at the Ardent 2.25 folding Kevlar 60a for the rear. With a High Roller 2.35 folding 60a front.

For a bit of everything

Cheers

elliptic
    Free Member

High Roller front will be fine. Ardent is also more of front tyre IMHO.

ADvantage 2.25 or a Larsen 2.35 on the back would be my suggestion. I've use both with an Ardent up front for summer riding and been happy with them.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I've got an ADvantage 2.25 up front and a 2.25 Aspen rear.

Surprised with how well it rolls and grips TBH! Especially the Aspen.

elliptic
    Free Member

Been quite tempted by the Aspens, but one of our guys exploded a sidewall last Thursday night which slightly put me off. It was the "eXCeption" version which seems quite paper thin.

The single-ply Larsen FR has slightly thicker sidewalls than the folding Ardents and ADvantages, which is handy if you're a hardtail rider with a habit of hard landings like, er, me….

[EDIT] Haven't run into you for while by the way – have you been busy elsewhere?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Hey Elliptic – No, we've been out and riding. Thursdays have been a little intermittent the last couple of months for one reason or another, so that probably explains why you've not seen us for a while, but we always get out for a big ride on Sunday morning.

Where did the aspen explosion happen? I'm gentle as a flower, so hopefully it won't happen to me! Was it a pinch flat?

hora
    Free Member

Winter Swampthings
    Spring Swampthing front, Ardent rear
    Summer/Autumn Ardent front and rear

Sorted.

elliptic
    Free Member

On the fast rocky bridleway through the woods to the gorge road after a certain well known trail. Some sort of pinch flat / rip against a sharp rock type thing – went off with quite an impressive bang.

We've had a lot of punctures recently, it's getting a bit tedious…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It'll be messy if it happens to me – tubeless spooge will be everywhere.
    😳

Speeds are picking up now the ground is firmer.

elliptic
    Free Member

Recently got a new set of Bonty wheels with rimstrips so I'll be going tubeless with them soon… just got to stop tarting around with different tyre combinations and make my mind up…!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

LOL!

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

LUST HR 2.35 front advantage 2.1 rear here on Zesty. Great combo, the HR never seems to let go. Once I went UST I found I stopped faffing with tyres. Had no issues with punctures or walls and I ride trail centers at least twice a month, Quantocks, FOD, Wales etc.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I've been using an HR 2.1 folding for a year or so now, I'm not overly impressed with it – its fairly quick rolling but doesnt seem to be overly grippy. Definitely wouldn't want it as a front I dont think. Maybe the larger casing makes a big difference?

BenjiM

Super tacky and a 2.35 High Roller is much better than a 2.1. I think a lot of folk have found that the 2.1 High Roller just doesn't compare to the 2.35. Surprisingly I'm giving the ADvantage and High Roller combo a go on my Mmmbop.

hora
    Free Member

coffeeking one of the reasons I didnt like the HR in 2.35 form was its height of the sidewall with the tall knobs ontop- 2.1 must seem like you are riding on a knife-edge!

specializedneeds

High Roller front Ardent rear good combo

Surely they'd be better the other way around?

j-claw
    Free Member

2.35 Minion Super Tacky on the front with a 60A 2.35 High Roller on the back when its wet, or a 60A 2.35 Larsen TT in the dry.
    The Larsen is so fast rolling & seems to grip pretty well too. Crossmarks are also great on the back, or on both wheels at a trail centre.

nodrog2
    Free Member

Minion 2.35 F front in either 60a or 42a, ardent/advantage 2.25 rear. A happy combo for me. Crossmark 2.25 rear for that extra bit speed if needed.

hora
    Free Member

Do I need to give the Minion another go on the front? When I ran it I didnt get on with it- should it be run at relatively low pressures- is it vastly different-beast at these?

rj
    Free Member

Yes. Ran them last year (2.35 f&R), plenty grippy, bit faster rolling than 2 HRs.

nodrog2
    Free Member

I find minion faster than a HR on the front, still offers loads of grip and tracks better under hard braking in my opinion. Run mine at about 35psi although would probably run a bit less if running tubeless. The 42a grips brilliantly on wet rock/roots.

Paceman
    Free Member

2.35 Single Ply High Roller up front 2.1 Exception Aspen on the rear for me, works like a dream on the North / South Downs singletrack 😀

NormalMan

I am running a 2.35 60a HR on the front of my HT, with a Kenda Karma 2.0 on the rear. Works for me.

I_Ache
    Free Member

HR front and Larson rear both 2.25 single ply 60a is a great combo grippy and fast. I have been trying a ADvantage on the front with a HR on the back but when it gets a bit drier I will put the Larson on the back again.

The ADvantage seems to be pretty good so far but the HR is a lot more draggy than the Larson on the back.

Paceman
    Free Member

How is the 2.25 ADvantage on the front comapared with the 2.35 High Roller?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘High Roller front Ardent rear good combo ?’ is closed to new replies.